“ok for a night” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #13 of 21 Hotels in Hagerstown
Pottstown, Pennsylvania
“ok for a night”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

We have come to like the Microtel chain for nice rooms and very cheap prices. This Microtel however made me realize they are not all up to the same standards. The staff was ok, very matter of fact, the bed was comfortable (pillow top) and the room was clean and cheap so for the 14 hours overnight on our travels we needed it, it served its purpose. It had free wifi but no business computer? if you need to print anything or look something up to do in the area you're SOL but luckily I could get basics on the Iphone. I noticed that the halls were hot as they didn't have the air on a just opened the windows letting in the humidity. I think they were trying to cut down on the electric bill as I also noticed that they never turned on the lights behind the front desk. We came in after a dinner and movie and thought they had left the desk unmanned,but then out of the darkness someone appeared. The floors and walls were some of the thinnest I've experienced and the continental breakfast was pretty lacking. I was reluctant when I saw that the bagels were being kept in Tupperware which to me means they are trying to get a lot of life from them. Tip: spend a little $$ and add a few extras, and personality sometimes it's the small things that bring people back, and please provide a small business area , desktop computer it's a pretty basic item nowadays.

Room Tip: Ask for a AAA price, under $60
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
HagerstownMicrotel, Manager at Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Hagerstown, responded to this review, August 14, 2013
Thanks for taking the time to review your stay. As you mentioned, we do offer free high-speed wireless internet, but we do not have a business center. Most people travel with laptops and tablets these days and hotel business centers usually end up becoming babysitters for kids who shouldn't be left alone. Our staff is always glad to print a document for you at the front desk or check you in for your next flight online. We don't always keep our back office lights on since the front office lights are plenty bright -- our staff can determine what they need in the evenings. I am seriously surprised our back office lighting and even our breakfast storage choices are being analyzed -- Tupperware is simply a storage container for keeping food overnight. Thanks again and have a great day!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
New Hartford
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

When I made the reservation I was told $62.95 for my wife and kids. When I showed up at 11:15pm I was told that I never mentioned the kids. I was held hostage and was told that the cost would be $79 if I still wanted the room. I should have left but it was late. The guy at the front desk said there were too many people for the room and it violated the fire code. in order to "overcome" the fire code, it would cost me more. Are you kidding me?!? The front desk clerk was a scumbag and I should have left and punched him in the face. I wouldn't go here again if they gave me the room and a $100 bonus.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham

HagerstownMicrotel, Manager at Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Hagerstown, responded to this review, July 24, 2013
Let's just say that you can't put four people into a one-queen bed room. Nobody held you "hostage" -- you could have left if you didn't want to pay for a room that was large enough to accomodate your family. We want your stay to be comfortable as well as affordable. And you didn't pay to "overcome" the fire code -- you paid for a room that satisfied the requirements for safe occupancy.
Cary, NC
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

This was independence weekend so hotel rooms were all booked. They offered the last room which was a Jacuzzi room for $260+. We were tired so we bit the bullet.

IT was the most expensive room we've been so far but it also was the worst! The sheets had some bath salts which meant it wasn't replaced. The Jacuzzi sidings were peeling and the handles were falling apart.

For $260, I'd expect to at least have a very clean room, clean sheets and a working jacuzzi.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
I'm sorry that you feel like you overpaid but room rates are higher on holidays and the jacuzzi suite is usually the last room to sell. We ALWAYS replace the sheets, and if you would have asked us to change them again for you, we gladly would have promptly changed them. We are looking into your concerns about the jacuzzi handles. Thanks for your review and have a nice day.

Been to Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Hagerstown? Share your experiences!