“Economical” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #12 of 21 Hotels in Hagerstown
Charlotte, North Carolina
“Economical”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2011

Great proximity to I 81. Friendly staff. Adequate breakfast. Good size rooms and clean. Certainly a very comfortable budget hotel. Wish there were more like them.

Room Tip: Get a room with fridge and microwave.
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Melbourne, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2011

I am a women who has traveled to this hotel on my own several times. It is always very clean, the owner and staff have always been very nice. You cant beat the price. Very good free breakfast. Very safe location. This is my hotel of choice in Hagerstown.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled solo
Camden, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2011

This was a last minute stop for me on my way to Florida from Central NY. It was a great pick. My room was clean and the bed was very comfortable. Cable TV was nice. My room was quiet, even though it faced the highway. The heat worked well. The free internet access in the room was a bit unpredictable and weak, but in the lobby was just fine. The service from the hotel manager when I arrived was outstanding. He offered to assist me with my bags and was very friendly. My stay was very short but comfortable. The breakfast was a typical continental breakfast, and there was a hot waffle maker available as well, although I did not try them. I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled solo
HagerstownMicrotel, Manager at Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Hagerstown, responded to this review, April 8, 2011
Thank you so much for taking the time to describe your stay with us. We are currently improving the wireless internet for a few rooms that have brought concerns to our attention. We try very hard to provide excellent customer service and hope that you will visit us in the future.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2011 via mobile

Contrary to previous reviews, I had a good experience here. Saw it from the interstate and didn't check in until 2am. Bed was very comfortable. Didn't have any cleaning issues with our room. Would stay here again.

• Stayed March 2011
HagerstownMicrotel, Manager at Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Hagerstown, responded to this review, March 28, 2011
We appreciate your taking the time to describe your experience with us and are glad you had an enjoyable stay. We hope you visit us again in the future.
Peterborough,Ontario, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2011

We stayed at this hotel both going to and coming home from Myrtle Beach SC.
The hotel is sparkling clean. The staff is always both friendly and helpful.
The beds are so comfortable we find it hard to get up in the morning to continue our trip.
The micro-fridge is a convenient asset, as most travellers carry a cooler.
The complimentary breakfast is quite satisfactory.
We will contiue to stay at this hotel when we travel through Maryland.
We have already, and will continue to recommend it to both friends and family.

Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your compliments about our housekeeping and customer service. We work very hard to bring you the best guest experience we can. We are actually a regular stopping place for many travellers who frequent I-81. Thank you for your patronage to our hotel. We look forward to seeing you next time!
Sharpsville, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2011

I have never, until this last week, experienced such a rude staff, uncomfortable property, or cameras in the halls to monitor guests like criminals.

The lobby of the hotel looks like an amateur jungle with - quite literally - dozens of enormous potted plants. The man at the desk when we checked in spoke very broken English, so that the person checking in ahead of us was honestly and quite rightly asking the guy to repeat everything.

The room was clean. That's about all it had going for it. There is a tiny desk chair at a small wall-mounted desk, a window bench, a wardrobe with an ancient TV atop, and your bed in the main room. The lighting in the room is atrocious - with a long bar over the head of the bed, like you'd have in a hospital - and two garishly bright ceiling cans. The bathroom felt spacious and nice by comparison, believe me.

The bed was like a marshmallow and I woke both mornings with terrible back pain. The internet barely works and repeatedly kicked me offline. When I first called the front desk about it, the man who had earlier checked us in, hung up on me, saying, "Goodbye, I call you back."

Half an hour later he did and was still no help.

The free breakfast consists of watery orange juice, Sam's Club boxes of pastries and muffins, Belgian waffle mix I wouldn't trust on my worst enemy, and coffee.

The location is inconvenient to pretty much everything in the area and is rather difficult to get to, with a driveway tacked onto the rear of a large circular truck turnaround.

The vending machines are empty or broken, the place smells faintly of incense or some such, there are enough cameras in the hallways to make you feel like a prisoner, the elevator is slow as mud in January, and you just want to leave as soon as you get there.

It's a functional property, if only barely, and has no sound insulation whatsoever to keep out the highway noise of the interstate located only a couple hundred feet from our room. The staff is a nightmare. The breakfast will make you go elsewhere. And you'll waste a bunch of gas getting to this place from wherever you're meaning to me.

One star would be quite generous for this establishment.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
HagerstownMicrotel, General Manager at Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Hagerstown, responded to this review, March 24, 2011
I'm very sorry that you didn't enjoy your stay at our hotel. I can assure you that we are looking into the concerns that you brought to our attention. However, I would also like to respond to some of the things you mentioned, as I don't believe they are valid concerns.

We are one of the few hotels that offer cameras throughout our property, which adds to the safety of our guests. These cameras are located in the parking lot, exterior entrances, lobby, and hallways. While many hotels have no system in place to monitor what takes place in their upstairs hallways, we want to make sure that you have a quiet and enjoyable stay. We see the cameras as a positive addition to our hotel that benefits guests. They are not intended to make anyone feel "imprisoned".

I appreciate your review of our cleanliness, as we strive to maintain very clean rooms and have excellent housekeeping staff. I'm sorry that you found the lighting in the room to be inadequate. One of our signature features of Microtel is better lighting by the bed since guests often like to read or use their laptop computers while lying in bed. This is a complaint for many hotels and our franchise has tried to improve on that guest concern.

Perhaps you are unaware that the selling concept of "Microtel" is a hotel with slightly smaller rooms and fewer amenities -- in order to save our guests money for things they don't want or need. If you need a larger room or more amenities, we will gladly accommodate your request at the front desk. However, in keeping our rates competitive and offering the best rate to you, as our customer, our rooms are not as spacious as those in the $100 per night category.

One of the biggest problems with rating systems such as TripAdvisor is that we are rated right alongside hotels that cost $100 to $150 per night. Guests stay in our hotel and often expect the same level of detail and amenities that they get in higher brands like Marriott and Hilton, failing to realize that they are in an entirely different hotel category altogether.
Montreal, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2011

This hotel is one good reason review sites such as this exist. Last time I make the mistake of not checking them beforehand.

If you are reading this from outside the hotel itself, the executive summary is: Avoid this place. If not: good luck.

Check-in: Had to page someone. Seems to be standard procedure as there is a phone on the counter and sign to this effect.

At first glance, room looked okay and no frills. I was given one of the "handicapped-friendly" 1 double-bed rooms.

(Although how one might turn around in there with a wheelchair baffles me. And no support bars for the toilet or bath. Not being handicapped this wasn't a problem, but it struck me as odd.)

Decided to check for bedbugs first (smart thing to do no matter the rating in my mind) and found a single hair on the way. I dismissed the find as possibly having come from a staff member handling the sheets or making the bed.

All clear for the bugs so I settled in and had pizza delivered for dinner.

Old TV emitted an annoying high pitched tone (in the 16 kHz range) so I fell back on my laptop for some R&R.

I had a major amount of things to prepare for the next morning working with said computer. The wireless internet worked very well: no mucking around with codes, good signal and fast.

Irony: I was looking for the hotel's address at one point, searched "Microtel Hagerstown" and decided to glance at the page here...

After all that work was done, after a *very* long day I decided to take a shower. Moving the shower curtains made a number of hairs fall into the bathtub.

That was cause for concern on its own, so I decided to give the bedsheets a closer inspection...

There were a few more hairs that I hadn't noticed at first glance, one or two obviously pubic in origin. Also a few small dubious stains on the sheets, maybe blood.

Also of note was a bit dried toothpaste foam on the bathroom door. Carpeting did not look very clean, enough that I refrained from walking barefoot on it.

I opted to request another room.

Expected conversation should have gone something like this:
-I'd like another room please.
-What seems to be the problem?
-The room is not clean, I found pubic hair in the sheets.
-Sorry about that, we'll fix it right away, let me give you another key. Is there anything else I can do for you?

Instead it went something like:
-I'd like another room please.
-What is the problem?
-The room is not clean, I found pubic hair in the sheets.
-All the single bed rooms are sold out tonight sir.
-Well then upgrade me to another room or refund me and I'll book elsewhere.
-Can you show me?
(We go back to the room, and I show him.)

He then offered to come clean my room again, which would have taken time. I wanted to sleep soon due to an early start next morning. He then asked if I wanted the room "only for sleeping purposes" to which I replied I wanted a room "for everything" because I still had a shower to take, if not that night then in the morning.

Grudgingly he finally gave me the keys to another room. A marginal improvement.

I checked the shower and one of the beds closely. Visually the sheets looked okay, if a little worn. I okayed the room to the night manager and settled in that one.

It turned out that of three pillows on my bed, only one was unstained. And a check of the other bed showed it would not have been suitable. I decided to use one of my shirts as a makeshift pillow cover and went to sleep. For those still reading, the mattress was actually comfortable.

The breakfast setup is lackluster, and given all the above I chose what I ate carefully.

Location wise: the place is next to a highway and neighbor to a Burger King. A few other restaurants and convenience stores are mostly on the other side of the highway, roughly a 10 minute walk away.

In conclusion, I find it hard to believe a franchiser would let such a franchise keep on operating for so long with such a dismal record. Which is a shame since I liked the concept and price point.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
HagerstownMicrotel, General Manager at Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Hagerstown, responded to this review, March 19, 2011
Before I even try to address the specific details that we have been accused of in this review, let me first say that this guest checked in at 4 pm and didn’t have any issues of cleanliness until 2:30 am, when he began to do his “inspection”. It is quite obvious that to even the most casual reader using this website, this guest went above and beyond with his review in an attempt to hurt our business. His review was not simply a statement of how he wasn’t satisfied, but the detail and pictures he took are indicative that he decided to make as much of an issue out of every thing possible so that we would suffer a loss of business. It is so thorough as to even appear to come from a competitor instead of an actual guest.

Regardless, it should be noted that we are the original owners of this hotel which opened in just 2002, so the property is fairly new. We have personally taken care of all housekeeping and maintenance needs in making sure to provide the best guest experience that we can. We realize the value of a clean and neat room, as we ourselves would suffer a loss of business and, therefore revenue, if it was not at the highest standard. All of our rooms are personally inspected after our housekeepers clean them to guarantee their cleanliness. Beyond that, we “deep-clean” every room often to make sure that it remains top notch, something that many hotels neglect to do because it incurs additional housekeeping costs. In fact, upon request, we would gladly show any guest our deep-cleaning records to prove how recently it was done and what details were addressed.

Because we are a Wyndham property, we have “mystery shoppers” who are Wyndham inspectors that check-in without giving us notice to monitor the guest experience in regards to cleanliness, amenities, and customer service. Our current score for this is above 95%, which demonstrates that we are on top of things. We never know when this inspector will show up or what room he will check into. Secondly, Wyndham has another program called Medalia in which guests receive customer satisfaction surveys in their email. Our Medalia score is currently an A+.

This guest claimed that he was in a handicap room but that there weren’t any handlebars. The reason for this is because he wasn’t actually in a handicap room. He was in a “hearing-impaired accessible room”, which simply means that it has a button outside the door which flashes a light inside to let a hearing-impaired person know that someone is outside their door (instead of knocking). This is to satisfy the the ADA requirements for hearing-impaired persons. Please take a close look at the photographs that this guest took of his hotel room. Not only is it quite extreme that he took pictures of an alarm clock and a light switch, but upon examination of the pictures, you will be hard-pressed to see any major issues. It’s just like most anything else in life -- if you look hard enough, you can always find a problem if you want to. It is obvious that there was a mark on the door, which he claims was toothpaste, that should have been removed. The tiny, tiny crevices of the base of the phone could be a little cleaner, but seriously, isn’t this going a bit too far? And then the fact that he thoroughly inspected his second room, found it unsatisfactory to his incredibly high demands, and yet decided to stay. You can decide if this review is a little bit biased…

We don’t normally respond to a guest review in so much detail, but an open and obvious attempt to undermine that which we hold to be so important, our reputation, is worth refuting. It is common knowledge that people only write reviews like this one when they are upset and want to hurt a business. We invite you to check out our other reviews, including those on the popular Expedia and Hotels.com websites, to see just how satisfied our customers are with their hotel stays here. Thank you for taking the time to read this.

Been to Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Hagerstown? Share your experiences!