“Hidden Gem in Hagerstown” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Fayetteville, Pennsylvania
“Hidden Gem in Hagerstown”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2013

We went to dinner to celebrate my birthday on September 21st. We had been to Aqua 103 a couple years ago but had forgotten how good this restaurant is. For an appetizer, we ordered the baked brie in a lavender honey sauce with fresh fruit and candied walnuts. This was to die for! My husband ordered the salmon special with dill cream sauce and I had the blackened catfish with mango salsa, Both dishes were perfectly prepared. Julie, our waitress, was attentive and kept us informed on the status of our dishes. She explained that the dishes are made to order so they take a little time. When she told us the evening's specials, she advised that the catfish was the last one. When I said that's what I wanted, she went back to the kitchen to reserve it, then returned to the table to get my husband's order. The lemoncello cake and chocolate bombe were good. The wine list is limited but there are a few wines in each varietal in a reasonable range of prices. There are also an assortment of wines by the glass.

• Visited September 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Washington, DC
“A great find”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

We did not expect to find such a really good restaurant in Hagerstown. This one is very impressive. The ambiance, the layout and the food are all excellent.

We had the crab cake lunch with mixed vegetables; whatever they did to the crab meat was amazing because the full flavor of the crab came through. We also had the pork chop with sesame seeds and honey---very flavorful. They also have a wide range of bottled beers in addition to a reasonable wine list. They also have about 15 different takes on a martini.

Because we were there at 4 pm on a weekday we got our wine at half price.

Every town should have a place as good as this one.

That morning I went to a restaurant that serves breakfast at any time. So I ordered French Toast during the Renaissance.

• Visited June 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Very Slow Service . Nice choice if you want to stay awhile.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

I have eaten here many times.. each time we go the service gets a little slower and wine pours a little smaller. Even the bar service was very slow and waitress wasn't very friendly. Waitress on the restaurant side was very sweet and accommodating but again the service was very slow. We thought they had gone to the Chesapeake Bay to catch the crabs. Must say our dinner was good. Beware they charge 2$ extra for a small serving of blue cheese salad dressing.
The slow service wasn't due to overcrowding. There were only about 4- 6 tables during the evening.
Unfortunately if you don't eat in chain restaurants, there are not a lot of choices in Hagerstown.

• Visited April 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Sibiu, Romania
“Not really worth the money”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

A friend took me here while I was recently in Hagerstown. He described it as Hagerstown's take on a fine dining restaurant. The place itself is in bit of a strange place for a restaurant on what looks like a business park, the inside is quite chic and looks the part and the service is pretty good too. The problem is with what you get for your money, for the price I would expect something special and it is just not that special.
I have had much better meals in much less expensive places, its not horrible but just very underwhelming. Another problem is the speed in which the food arrives, when I am paying these prices I expect to be sitting there a while and make a night of it, the food was out very quickly and within 45 minutes we were done and the waitress was bringing the bill.
This restaurant, if it wants to be considered fine dining, needs to understand that people will pay these prices but they require more than a flashy dining room, average food and 45 minutes for a night out

• Visited March 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
WV
“Skimpy but not cheap”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

We have been going to Aqua 103 for lunch for years, but recently have become less and less patient with it. Service was excellent, but my wife and I both felt that the servings were skimpy and the cost high for what we were served. For example, my sea scallop special with squash risotto consisted of three smallish scallops served over about three tablespoons of risotto, with dollops of saffron cream sauce on the plate that tasted like nothing more than eggy hollandaise.

• Visited March 2013