“Good crabs - needs a facelift” 3 of 5 stars

300 Summit Ave, Hagerstown, MD
Improve this listing
Ranked #106 of 203 Restaurants in Hagerstown
Cuisines: Seafood
Description: (301) 739-8220 http://maps.google.com/maps/place?oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&q=chic%27s+seafood,+hagerstown&fb=1&gl=us&hq=chic%27s+seafood,&hnear=Hagerstown,+MD&cid=3815188812655022034
PA
“Good crabs - needs a facelift”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2013

If you are looking for refined dining - this is not the place for you. But who eats crabs in a refined way? The place could use a little facelift but the restrroms need a complete overhaul. Think biohazard suit just to enter the john. The service is good and the crabs come to you nice and hot. The cost of your crabs is based on their size so we recently went and had smalls for $20 a dozen. They were meaty so that was good.

We live locally and know that Chics has the best crabs around. Eat in (but dont use the restrooms) or take-out and you'll be happy with the crabs.

• Visited September 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

ALPHARETTA
“Quaint but wonderful”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

We were driving through Maryland on our way home and I said to my husband "We can't go through Maryland without getting some Maryland Crab" So we went to trip advisor and found Chic's Seafood. It looked kind of old but had a big crab on top of the roof. Cute! We went at an off time (3pm) and it was quiet. That was great for us because the owner spent a lot of time with us telling us the history of the restaurant and civil war history in that area. Very interesting. The meal was delicious. I had crab cake sandwich and wonderful creamy crab soup. WOW!! It is off the beaten path but worth going to.

• Visited August 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Fayetteville, Arkansas
“Food and service was great!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

We had dinner there last night. The food and service was great. We are from Arkansas here visiting friends in Maryland. It was our first experience eating crabs. They were great! We also had crab cakes and New England style Clam Chowder. The crab cakes were very good. I wasn't too crazy about there chowder, it's was too thick. It was more like eating paste.

• Visited August 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
West Virginia
“Beware.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013 via mobile

My boyfriend found this restaurant on a different site. I'm sure if he'd checked Tripadvisor first, we would not have gone there.

We spent the weekend in Columbia, MD, and on the way back home to West Virginia we wanted to stop for some seafood. He found this little hole-in-the-wall, and we decided to figure it a go.

I ordered the "deluxe" crab cakes with a baked potato and side salad. The deluxe crab cakes are supposed to be bigger than the regular crab cakes, according to the menu. I'd hate to see what the regular sized cakes look like because these were very small. Probably the smallest I've ever had. My boyfriend ordered the Port of Baltimore meal. It came with a lobster tail, shrimp, crab leg cluster, clams and oysters, with 2 sides. Sounds good, right? NO! The lobster was so rubbery, he had to dig the meat out with his fingers because the fork would not get it loose. It was very rubbery and chewy meat. He liked the crab, and shrimp, but threw most of the clams and oysters away, as they were disgusting.

These two meals, plus two waters, added up to $55. Sooooo overpriced!

The only reason I gave this 2 stars, is because my baked potato was, in fact, a baked potato. But I couldn't tell you what all that other stuff was.

• Visited July 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
“Get the special”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013 via mobile

We went for crab and some fish. Food was average. Apparently I ordered the wrong meal. We soon realized that everyone around us was eating softshell steamed blue crab. I mean everyone and it looked good. It is a old place that is attached to a fish market and the person I was with loved her flounder. Beware of the steak. This is a seafood restaurant.

• Visited July 2013