“Great Pulled Pork BBQ!”

Certificate of Excellence 2013
Cuisines: Barbecue
Good for: Families with children, Bar scene, Large groups, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Takeout, Late Night, Dessert
Description: Hempen Hill BBQ has come to be known for it’s diverse, yet simple, menu. We offer the Best Pit BBQ in the area and often fuse it with a culinary twist for some real unique dishes. We invite you to come in and eat with us TODAY! Start off with our award winning Kettle Crab Chip appetizer or a cup of Chef Jason’s Crab Bisque. Dine on our fresh green salads, grab a quick North Carolina Pulled Pork sandwich or indulge with a spicy house blended Chorizo Burger. If you’re in the mood for a good steak– you hit the spot! Our steaks are hand-cut, seasoned up and grilled to perfection. While in Maryland try our Crab Cakes– nothing but Jumbo Lump Crab! If you come for BBQ– try our Texas Brisket, Baby Back Ribs or even Smoke Tofu! Wash it all down with a pint from one of our many Microbrews on draft.We offer a full Kid’s Menu and Homemade Desserts by Miss Kitty—so call or come by and visit us!

73% Recommend
There are newer reviews for Hempen Hill BBQ Bar & Catering
Maryland
“Great Pulled Pork BBQ!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2013

One of the best sandwiches in the tri-state area. They also have a large craft beer selection on tap.

• Visited September 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Hagerstown, Maryland
“Service and food surprisingly bad”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

After bad service on a busy weekend we tried HH again on a quiet weeknight. It took an hour to get our food, the order was wrong, drinks took 20-30 minutes to appear. Food was uniformly mediocre to bad. For instance, "burnt ends" is supposed to be chewy ends of brisket. Instead i got spongy center pieces in a sauce so salty I couldn't eat it. Server made a rare appearance and asked how it tasted since it was barely touched. I said too salty and she just walked away. We returned because the beer is good but have rarely had worse service anywhere.

• Visited September 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Crisfield, Maryland, United States
“Great BBQ & prompt courteous service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

Had the Texas Brisket with Sweet Potato Fries and it was awesome! Service was fantastic. The setting is very casual and a bit crowded and loud but that should be expected for this type of restaurant. I will be dining here again the next time I visit Hagerstown.

• Visited August 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Very disappointed. Could have been my selection.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013 via mobile

I was traveling through the area and was looking for a restaurant so I consult a TripAdvisor as always. This place got such a high reading that I just had to try it. I was very disappointed. I ordered the "beef pit" sandwich (or something like that. I understand that you cannot over cook roast beef, but what I was served resembled sliced road kill. It was extremely raw, but worse, it had pieces of gristle and hard fat and was very difficult to chew. It must have had a complete ladle of au jus dumped on it, because the roll that it was served on was a soggy mess. I wish that I had ordered a burger or something cooked... Very disappointed

• Visited August 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Johns Creek, Georgia
“Very good BBQ and Bar fare”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

Wait staff not overly attentive but lunch was good. Try the Chorizo burger if you want to spice up your typical lunch burger.

Visited August 2013