“Amazing live bands, great atmosphere, and the best wings on Earth!!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hempen Hill BBQ Bar & Catering

Ranked #14 of 200 Restaurants in Hagerstown
Cuisines: Barbecue
Good for: Families with children, Bar scene, Large groups, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Takeout, Late Night, Dessert
Description: Hempen Hill BBQ has come to be known for it’s diverse, yet simple, menu. We offer the Best Pit BBQ in the area and often fuse it with a culinary twist for some real unique dishes. We invite you to come in and eat with us TODAY! Start off with our award winning Kettle Crab Chip appetizer or a cup of Chef Jason’s Crab Bisque. Dine on our fresh green salads, grab a quick North Carolina Pulled Pork sandwich or indulge with a spicy house blended Chorizo Burger. If you’re in the mood for a good steak– you hit the spot! Our steaks are hand-cut, seasoned up and grilled to perfection. While in Maryland try our Crab Cakes– nothing but Jumbo Lump Crab! If you come for BBQ– try our Texas Brisket, Baby Back Ribs or even Smoke Tofu! Wash it all down with a pint from one of our many Microbrews on draft.We offer a full Kid’s Menu and Homemade Desserts by Miss Kitty—so call or come by and visit us!
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Amazing live bands, great atmosphere, and the best wings on Earth!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013 via mobile

The best spot in Hagerstown! Hidden in the corner of a strip mall just outside of town, it took several months to discover this gem. If it weren't for websites such as Yelp I would have probably never discovered this place. Hempen Hill has a clean, casual, and open atmosphere. They have a great and constantly changing selection of beers on tap. Wednesday night is wing night and these guys have some of the best wings around. I consider myself an expert on wings after traveling the whole east coast and trying wings at multiple famous establishments. I recommend the smoked version of their wings with the unique buffalo sauce which is like no other.The only reason I give Hempen Hill four stars is because of its odd location and the lack of a patio. Their biggest drawback is with a few members of the bar staff who seem completely detached and never engage the customers. It's not the friendliest staff in town, but they are attentive, so I can't complain too much.Finally, one of the best things about Hempen Hill is the atmosphere. The bar and restaurant are very spacious. This place is also THE best place for live music on Saturday nights. The bands are always amazing and there's rarely a cover. I also love the clientele at Hempen Hill. This is probably the only place to get a drink in Hagerstown that doesn't have the feel of a sketchy dive bar. It caters to all ages, primarily young professionals.

• Visited July 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

73% Recommend
Fairfax, Virginia
“Great Food!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

Our family of four went to this restaurant with big appetites and left absolutely satisfied. We arrived early around lunchtime on a Saturday. When we first got there, I had my reservations because the restaurant is in the middle of a plaza and doesn't look like much is going on from the outside. We had the restaurant mainly to ourselves, which also made me nervous, but happy at the same time! The service was excellent and the food was AMAZING! My husband got some sort of brie and turkey sandwich with sweet potato fries. My son got the mac n cheese kids meal, I got the quarter white meat chicken platter with the mac n cheese and sweet potato fries (I know, carb overload!). I can't recall what my daughter got, but I know that we were all thrilled with our food! We ended up sharing among ourselves because we all wanted to try with the other had. Prices were reasonable, decor was nice, and the restaurant was clean. We thought about going back with the soccer team the following day, but note - they are closed on Sundays! I'm still dreaming about that mac n cheese.... WELL worth the stop at this restaurant. I highly recommend it!

• Visited June 2013
Damascus, Maryland
“So good”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2013 via mobile

My grandmother took me here for lunch the other day. I was pretty surprised to first learn it was a BBQ bar and grill but to walk in and see a stage etc was the icing on the cake. This place was fantastic!!! I got the Hempen Hill Dog with Potatoe Salad. I have never seen such a big hot dog in my entire life!!!!! This bar and grill was such a great find and I will definitely be returning, prefferably at night for some live music!!!

• Visited May 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Best b-b-que, crab cakes...everything!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

Hempen Hills was recommended by our hotel...SO GLAD! Try the "Take a Trip" appetizer...so delicious and enough for two or more. Smoked meats are absolutely yum and so lean. I can't ignore the crab bisque and crab cakes...no fillers. The service was wonderful! Don't miss this's family-owned gem!

• Visited May 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Great food. Rude staff!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013 via mobile

Don't know why I keep going back to restaurant. Must be because they have the best barbecue and Mac and cheese but they have the rudest staff !
I think you have to pass some kind of rudeness test to even get a job there. They do a great business but only because they are the only act in town..look out if they ever get any competition. I will complain until the next time when I want some of there great barbecue and return, maybe someday they will hire someone who isn't so rude.

• Visited April 2013