“A terrible experience at Extended Stay Glen Burnie” 1 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save up to 10% Today!
Ranked #1 of 6 hotels in Glen Burnie
Ellicott City, Maryland
“A terrible experience at Extended Stay Glen Burnie”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

There were two men drinking beer and sitting in front of the entrance. The front desk person said the priceline accommodation did not matter. He insisted I write my credit card number o n a piece of paper, because the machine was not working. The entrance wreaked with cigarette smoke.

Room Tip: Do not choose this hotel whatsoever.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business

62 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Altoona, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2014

Very helpful. Nice Clean. The Lady at the front desk went above and beyond her duties to help us and guide us. Thanks for the hospitality!!! Even though the front desk clerk worked the night shift, we tuned around and saw her in the morning and she was still very delightful and helpful! We had a few other families there for a softball tournament and we all would go back!

Room Tip: Clean rooms all around
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2014

This was a good hotel. Very convenient for where I worked and especially convenient because of the kitchen for my long term stay. It was nice that housekeeping was only once a week for long term guests. The reason for 3 stars is because although the front desk staff was friendly, they were often hidden in the back on their cell phones during business hours. Sometimes it seemed like no one was there to help. On the night I needed to do my laundry, I had planned to buy a box of detergent from the vending machine but found that it was out of order. I asked the front desk if there was a timeline to get it fixed or if they were selling any from there in the mean time. The lady had no idea and didn't seem too inclined to help me or even find out any info about it. She told me I could go to Walmart and buy detergent if I really needed it. Ok I feel like if the detergent dispenser is broken, it's a big deal at a hotel meant for long term guests. Laundry detergent isn't exactly something on my packing list when I fly somewhere and I don't have room for that stuff anyway. And I also don't feel like wasting my money buying a whole bottle of it at Walmart for a couple of loads. I can't take that back with me on a plane. I ended up not being able to wash my clothes that night and borrowing it from my brother who lived about a half hour away the next day. Also, just a FYI for anyone planning to stay here, there are no hangers and no hair dryer. That really sucked in January. I don't pack hair dryers either because most hotels have one. In summary, although there were a few things that frustrated me, I would probably stay here again. There was more good than bad.

Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Baltimore - Glen Burnie, responded to this review, March 3, 2014
Thank you so much for sharing your experience with us. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed our convenient location and your fully equipped kitchen. Still, I apologize that our vending machine was out of order during your visit. As well, I am sorry that our staff did not attend to your needs in a professional manner. I will be meeting with our staff to ensure this does not continue in the future. Finally, please know that hair dryers, as well as other toiletries, are available upon request at the front desk, should you need them in the future. I do hope that you will return to our hotel, or any of our other brand locations in the future.
Jerusalem, Israel
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2014

Well, the sole member of staff on duty the evening I arrived was friendly and tried to be helpful, but she still couldn't get the TV to work.

The room was not adequately cleaned. I found a sock on the desk chair. I found dried gunge in the refrigerator door. I found dust and a discarded magazine between the easy chair and the occasional table.

Extended stat America usually offers good value in comfortable surroundings. This one didn't on the night I stayed there.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Asheville, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2014

Rooms were clean and the hotel staff was very friendly. The kitchen was a nice convenience and had everything needed. Bed was extremely uncomfortable and was advertised as a queen but seemed smaller. The washcloths and the towels were very rough.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Baltimore - Glen Burnie, responded to this review, February 6, 2014
Jim – Thank you so much for posting a review of our hotel. I am happy that you found your room to be clean and our staff to be friendly during your stay. As well, it’s great to hear that you enjoyed your fully equipped kitchen. Still, I am sorry that you found your bed to be uncomfortable and your towels to be rough. I will speak with our staff regarding these issues to ensure your experience is not repeated.

Clearwater, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2013

We chose this hotel because it was 'newly renovated' and we were traveling with somebody with severe asthma and did not want any must/mold/mildew issues.
We paid $120/night for two double beds. We cut our short stay there and went to a much better hotel for $90/night for 2 queens and full hot breakfast!
In fairness, the place we moved did not have a full kitchen like the ESA so maybe I compared apples and oranges, but I chose ESA because it was newly renovated, not the kitchen. A fridge and micro was all we needed.

Here are just a few reasons we left:
1. Halls were so smoky my asthmatic relative had to cover mouth and hold breath from the elevator to the room. This was on the NONSMOKING second floor. This was true both nights. I noticed perusing the reviews just now that his has been a problem in the past so it was not just a fluke when we were there. (The rooms were clean enough if it weren't for the smoke issue.)
2. The deadbolt did not actually bolt. It needed filing down. The maintenance guy had left for the day and so the hotel kindly gave my husband permission to fix it, but he couldn't because too much smoke was coming in the room while he worked.
3. Grab and Go breakfast not worth grabbing. They did not even keep coffee out past 930am.
4. We paid $10 extra per person presumably because of the cost of breakfast and the house keeping but they do not do daily house keeping and there is no way the breakfast was worth paying extra for.
5. I had an 830am daily conference call and there was no common area at all that I could sit and take the call (while my family slept in the room). The lobby has two chairs but it was too loud between staff conversations and customers coming and going. I had to stand between the two front paris of double doors for part of my calls to hear. ...We went during a cold snap and I am from the south so I did not take the call sitting in my car :)
6. Beds not comfortable. A good night's sleep is very important to us.

Some of these things above may not be important to you so you can take this FWIW.
I suppose if one really had to have a full kitchen this might be a reasonable price but I did not shop around for this.
There was a flashing smoke alarm that was very bright at night like a strobe light. Evidently it goes off easily when cooking because somebody had tied a grocery bag around it! (The maintenance guy fixed that ASAP as soon as we pointed it out to him.)
Did I mention drunks in the lobby hassling the desk clerk? Police called for argument on another floor too evidently.

I will say that most of the staff was extremely nice, especially the manager, but the quality of the hotel was low end with a high end price (considering where we went instead).

This was my first stay at an ESA and the experience makes me likely to never consider staying at ESA hotel.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013

Came down to visit a relative and an overniter at this great La Quinta here in Glenn Burnie, Not much to say other than it's very ecconomical and very nice clean rooms, we have the executive suite and also with their LaQunita rewards tonite's stay is free as we earned points from previous visits. Other than the fact that it was hard to get a smoking room it being kind of cold outside we're quite happy with this location when we need be in MD.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Baltimore - Glen Burnie, responded to this review, October 25, 2013
Dee - Thank you for taking the time to write a review. Please know, the hotel you stayed at was an Extended Stay America, not a La Quinta. Still, we do appreciate your comments about how much you enjoyed your time at our hotel.

Been to Extended Stay America - Baltimore - Glen Burnie? Share your experiences!