“Wonderful customer service” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 6 hotels in Glen Burnie
Orlando, Florida
“Wonderful customer service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013

I stay at hotels and guest houses quite often during the year, so I am familiar with how customer service usually goes - at private-run facilities, service is usually wonderful; at chains, I've noticed there is usually something lacking. So, when I had to stay at the Glen Burnie La Quinta overnight for an Inaugural event in January of 2013, I really wasn't expecting much more than average service. Upon arriving at the front desk, the young man checking me in said "I noticed you marked on your reservation that you have severe smoke allergies. We don't have any non-smoking rooms clean at this time, so we're just going to upgrade you to an executive suite. Is that okay?" I said sure, and thanked him. He continued the check-in, showed us on the map how to get to the hotel room entrance (all guest room entrances are indoors, but the hotel entrance is on the side of the building) gave us our keys, and off we went. I've been in situations where things like this have happened before (meaning, a hotel had to upgrade me because a non-smoking room wasn't clean at check-in time), but in the past I've been treated like it was a huge burden to the hotel, and like I should be grateful they deigned to help me. This staff, however, acted like it was just part of their job to do that - no thanks required.

The next day, I was delayed in packing my things and called to see if I could get a later check-out. I thought they would give me until 11:30 or noon, which is standard when check-out is 11 AM (as it is at this La Quinta). The young woman at the front desk, however, said "Okay...your check-out time is now 1 PM. If you need a little longer or your need anything else, just give us a call! Have a great day!" Wow! Again, she just acted like it was part of her job to help out the guest if they asked for it, she didn't act like it was a hardship.

I know this probably all sounds trivial or small, but it's the little things that count when it comes to customer service. And this is the best customer service I've received at a chain hotel - service simply given with a smile and happiness. That means a lot to a weary traveler. (Oh, and of course, in case you are wondering, the beds were extremely comfortable, and the room was squeaky clean with up-to-date decor - and quiet.)

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business

366 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
Novelty, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

Prior to our RC cruise we chose to stay at this hotel, as it offered parking for the 12 days we would be at sea and provided a shuttle to and from the Baltimore cruiseport. We had been driving more than 6 hours when we arrived at the hotel around 5 pm. The woman at the front desk assigned us to the 8 am shuttle to the cruiseport,even though the boarding time for the ship did not begin until 11 am. This desk woman accused me of "confusing things" when I asked her shuttle questions. Her demeanor was not gracious or welcoming. Our third floor room was comfortable, quiet, and had nice hot water. Denny's restaurant for supper dining was conveniently located across the divided highway from the hotel. The complimentary breakfast buffet in the hotel was delicious and had something for everyone. The shuttle to the port departed at 8 am, but we had to wait a long time for cruise check-in. When we arrived back in port 12 days later, as soon as we exited the ship, as we waited in line for immigration, I called for the shuttle. We were told that in 30 minutes the shuttle would arrive, around 9:30 am. The gracious Salvadorian driver did arrive around that time, and drove us safely back to the hotel, where our car was safe and undamaged. We were pleased with the hotel, but would recommend that the shuttle times be assigned according to the dates when people originally reserved the rooms, not when people arrive at the hotel. It is not fair to give people who have only driven 2 hours the 11 am shuttle time, when people who have driven all day (6-8 hours) and need their rest, must rise very early, take the earliest shuttle, and wait hours at the terminal for check-in.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Glen Burnie, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

This was my second time staying at Laquinta Inn ,I am impress with the overall rooms and the value of the price. I will say that front desk staff person( Woman)was rude.She did not have a name tag on and when I asked she refused to give me her name. The breakfast was good and the lobby was updated. I would suggest that the front desk staff be trained on customer service skills .Sam and Shanon were great. First impression are a lastly one. Step up your game in that area and the hotel would see sales soar and return visits.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Montgomery
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

The shuttle service to and from the airport is a joke. they made my party I wait outside the airport for 45 minutes after we called them. Then we were told that the shuttle would take to anything close to the hotel, which was a lie. Next, that evening we put our names on a list for the 8 AM shuttle the following morning, they called us at 7:45 to tell us it was ready. We were at the front desk at 7:52 the bus had already left. When we asked the people at the front desk why did they let the bus leave? They said the bus was full, so what was the point of the list. Finally tonight we were coming back from the train and I called in advance to request a shuttle back from the train around 6:20 PM. I was told that the shuttle was going that way to pickup someone from the airport and would get us at 7 PM. The bus only picked up the people from the airport and left us in front of the train station. When I called at the front desk they told me that they were not going to pay for our cab fare nor would they give us a credit on our hotel bill. We stood outside in the cold from 6:30 until 7:40 PM. The staff are unprofessional and the shuttle is a joke. Please don't stay here, if you can not spend more to go somewhere else just don' t come to Baltimore.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends

Review collected in partnership with La Quinta

Dry Ridge, Kentucky
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

Checked in and was given our room keys. Loaded up the cart and headed up to the third floor and used the key to walk right into an occupied room !!!! Man inside acted as though this had happened to him before. Desk got us fixed up with a new room but wasn't too upset that it had happened.Another couple was very upset with the management that night and two days later when checking out. While waiting to check out heard them complaining that they were supposed to be comped a nite because they found bedbugs in there original room ! We personally had no room problems during our 2 night stay but hearing after the fact about bedbugs made us check our suitcases etc when we got home. There's no way in hell you should ever get an active electronic key to someone elses room or be given an occupied room.

Room Tip: Our room right outside the elevator was quiet and except for the security worry, the room was clean...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Farhaz J, General Manager at La Quinta Inn & Suites Baltimore South Glen Burnie, responded to this review, January 16, 2013
Dear Guest

We truly appreciate your feedback; it is our goal to provide you with a positive, memorable experience each and every time you stay with us. I sincerely apologize for the incident with the room keys. It was human error and we take full responsibility for it. We would also like to inform you that we follow best practices in the industry to prevent bugs and insects from getting into our guest rooms. Our maintenance department did a thorough check on the guest room upon the recent complaint that you are referring to and did not find any evidence of the presence of any insects or bugs.

Your continued satisfaction and trust in La Quinta are our top priorities. We hope you will be staying with us again soon.

A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

This hotel was an excellent choice because they picked us up from Airport and the next morning arranged for our travel to the Cruise Ship. The rooms were nice, Breakfast was great....but Shannon the On-Duty Manager was fantastic. She was very attentive to our needs and request for simple things such as fresh hot chocolate...even in the evenings and made sure we were all settled in for the evening. She is a great hostess and really makes your stay complete. Thanks again Shannon.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with La Quinta

Been to La Quinta Inn & Suites Baltimore South Glen Burnie? Share your experiences!