You added Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Germantown - Gaithersburg to your Saves list
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Germantown - Gaithersburg
GreenLeadersGold level
Boston
“Clean and Friendly”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2014

We are used to staying in city hotels for business purposes. This time, we needed a quick 2-night stay in suburban Maryland to help family members. The Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Germantown-Gaithersburg was all we could ask for at the very low price and convenient location. We checked in quite late and the lobby was full of happy soccer players, parents, and coaches watching a game on the flat screen, and we thought OH NO. But although there were lots of traveling young athletes and chaperones, they were all very very well behaved. No one ran down the halls or slammed doors. I think they all needed their sleep as we were up later than they were.
The only issue was that our room smelled like smoke. After we checked in and went to our room, I immediately went back to the front desk to tell the clerk that someone had smoked in our room and that my husband has bad allergies. She tried to find us another room, but they were sold out with all of those players, and she looked truly stricken that she couldn't help us.
We had busy days ahead, so we opted to eat breakfast quickly at the free buffet. So glad we did. They had everything - way more than we expected: scrambled eggs, boiled eggs, pancakes, yogurt, fruit, bagels, biscuits, toast, juices, coffee, tea --- and all were hot and replaced continually by several wait staff. They could get away with offering a lot less, but the quality and quantity shows their sincere effort to please and all of those young athletes are sent off to compete with full stomachs.
I had a few minutes to kill between errands, and to my surprise, found the swimming pool. I sat for a while on the brand-new looking chaise lounges. There was no one else there but a lifeguard. It was delightful.
Nice job, Holiday Inn Express!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
HamptonInnGermantown, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Germantown - Gaithersburg, responded to this review, June 2, 2014
Dear Airedales2:
Thank you for your kind words in reviewing your stay at Holiday Inn Express Germantown. I recall that we chatted briefly at the pool.

Please accept my apologies for the smoke smell. We are a completely non-smoking hotel and your room should have been treated as such. If you are back in the area again, please reach out to me directly so that I may see to your accommodations personally.

Linda OBrien

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2014

We had booked the hotel for a funeral and found it an easy place to run errands to and from. But they also had booked a group of middle school kids for two of the nights we were there. They should make arrangements to have groups such as children who run around, slam doors, yell in the corridor, call your room and so on stay on one side of the hotel and leave the fuddy duddies to the other side. I did make mention to the staff and they called security, knew what was going on, but once they are in their rooms they were hard to corral.

Room Tip: Nice on and off the freeway, lots of places to eat nearby.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
HamptonInnGermantown, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Germantown - Gaithersburg, responded to this review, May 15, 2014
Thank you for reviewing your recent stay at our Holiday Inn Express Germantown. Please accept our apologies for the disturbance you experienced from the students during your stay. We require large groups to provide additional chaperone services to avoid these types of conditions for our other guests. We will share your feedback with our team and group leaders in an effort to avoid any future occurances which disturb our guests.

Wallingford, CT
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2014

Physically, the hotel is fine. The beds are comfortable, the rates are decent, the breakfast is better than average. There are some things that need work.

First, in a two night stay I had to go to the front desk three times to get my door key card reprogrammed because it wouldn't work. The first time it happened, the lady at the desk said "That's normal". I also overheard other guests discussing the same problem at breakfast.

Second, on the one full day we were there, we left the room at about 9:00. When we got back at about six that evening, the room had not been serviced. Beds not made, no new towels, nothing.

Finally, the hotel description in the folder in the room said there were privacy tags (do not disturb) in each room and vending machines on our floor. In fact, there were no tags, and there are no vending machines on any floor. If you want anything, you have to go down to the small convenience area next to the front desk. Not an optimal arrangement to my mind, and not what I expected after reading the information the hotel supplied.

If this place could get it's act together, it would be a four and a half, not a three.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
HamptonInnGermantown, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Germantown - Gaithersburg, responded to this review, May 30, 2014
Thank you for taking time to review your recent stay at our hotel. We are thrilled you enjoyed our Stay Smart breakfast and beds. It seems from your response, you derived good value for your room as well. In regards to the opportunities for improvement, we appreciate your feedback regarding the demagnetizing of your guest room key. Our guest room directory is at the printers now getting updated with some current information such as the vending machines. I do apologize for your room not receiving service. I can assure you, we will research how this could happen as it is customary to make up each guest room daily.

Thank you again for your time and responses.

Columbus, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2014

We're from Ohio and visit family in DC often. Many times we try to find a good hotel outside the beltway to get to the last evening of our visit so we don't have to deal with DC traffic on our way home the next morning. After trying hotels in Frederick and Hagerstown, we've found our place! Not only is it closer to DC than the others, it's also less expensive, well-appointed, and located in a tranquil setting, but close to great lunch and dinner options. Comfortable bed, good shower pressure, quality towels, toiletries and pillows. Breakfast area is well-maintained, and food is good, better than some other HIEs we've stayed at. Overall great value and great location. We will stay here again.

Room Tip: Rooms on the front of the hotel face away from the freeway and are quieter.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2014

After a very long day of travel, I was immediately greeted by friendly and efficient staff. They had everything in order for my room and I was in my room in a matter of minutes. The room was standard, but clean and comfortable. The choice of pillows was very much appreciated, and the bathroom amenities were off good quality.

The breakfast is well managed and has a good variety, with staff frequently checking and replenishing the selections.

The front desk staff wished me a good day when I headed out each morning and welcomed me back each evening. This may seem like a small thing, but having been ignored at other hotels, I appreciate how well the management has trained their staff on personalizing the guests' experience.

The area is quiet and convenient to shopping, restaurants, and public transportation (with the hotel's shuttle).

This is definitely a hotel I would return to and recommend.

Room Tip: I would avoid rooms directly behind or beside the elevator.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
allentown, pa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2014

We stayed here for one night in a king room with sofabed. Warning..all king
sofabed rooms are next to the elevator shafts which does not lend itself to a
noise-free night. I don't think the extra space is worth the disturbing sound of
the elevator moving and the dings and the guests disembarking. The room was
pleasant otherwise, with a flat screen tv, said sofabed, armchair, desk,
comfortable bed ( one set of pillows soft, one firm) nightstands with drawers
and a large closet. What i don't understand is why there is no chest of drawers
freestanding or in the closet. The drawers in the nightstand would not be
suffient if you wanted to unpack. The bathroom was small, but well lit. The walk
in shower had a grab bar, textured floor and a large showerhead. Another odd
thing was the coffeemaker in the bathroom. That was gross. I understand that is
where the water is, but there was plenty of room on the desk or where the
microwave and mini fridge were. Wireless imternet worked fine. The front desk
staff were friendly and helpful. The breakfast was ok. A variety of cereals and
juices, hard boiled eggs, yogurt, toast, a unique pancake machine, which
unfortunately delivered the quality of pancakes you would expect from a conveyor
belt. The hot bar offered bacon, biscuits and a egg turnover with
unidentifieable insides (guessing ham, cheese, potatoes, peppers). Plain
scrambled eggs would have been a better bet, imho. Overall, i would stay here
again, just in a different room.

Room Tip: Avoid king rooms with sofabed, as they are right next to elevator shaft and noisy.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
HamptonInnGermantown, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Germantown - Gaithersburg, responded to this review, May 6, 2014
Dear travellerfromatown:

Thank you for reviewing your stay at our hotel in Germantown. I was disappointed to learn of your noisy night in one of our junior suites. While not all King – Sofa bed rooms are in the same location. The room you stay in is quite close to the mechanical room. It is our pleasure to provide you a quiet location in the future if you specify that request.
I understand your perspective of the chest of drawers, and coffee maker as well as the conveyor pancakes. They are a big hit with our younger guests on the weekend. I have forwarded those comments on to our standards department for review. In the future, we can always provide for you a new coffee maker to store inside the bedroom area.
Please let me know when you are arriving again in the future so that I may see to your needs personally.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2014

Pleased with everything except for people running the halls till 12 am. Walls aren't that sound proof. Very friendly staff. Clean room. Shower pressure was great. Hbo was included and free wifi. Breakfast area could be a little bigger. At 9 am about 20 people were in a room that was 15x8. Just ended up grabbing yogurts and left.

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Germantown
Fairfield Inn & Suites Germantown Gaithersburg
Hampton Inn & Suites Washington, DC North - Gaithersburg
Extended Stay America - Washington, D.C. - Germantown - Milestone
Extended Stay America - Washington, D.C. - Germantown - Town Center
Homewood Suites by Hilton Washington, DC North/Gaithersburg

Been to Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Germantown - Gaithersburg? Share your experiences!