“Fantastic sushi” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations
New Market, Maryland
“Fantastic sushi”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2012

My wife and I and another couple dined on August 25. The restaurant no longer takes reservations on weekends, but said that they would put us on the 6:00 pm waiting list (whatever that means). After reading other reviews, we decided to get there early. I'm glad we did. We were called at 6:00 and the house was full. The variety of sushi is staggering. The descriptions are very helpful. We had volcano roll, Dr Zhivago roll, Viagara(!) roll, calamari tempura, and eel sushi. All of it was very good. The volcano roll was a particular hit (more like a small caserolle than a sushi roll). The Viagara roll was a little soupy. Dinner for four with cold sake and a large Kirin was 118.00 including tax.
As we left, we saw that the waiting area was jammed. Get there early, and avoid the long wait!

• Visited August 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Montgomery Village, Maryland
“Worth the wait”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

Not just the freshest fish around, the sauces and artistry for the rolls makes you think you have gone to heaven.

• Visited August 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Clarksburg, MD
“Lunch Buffet is Great!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012

I've eaten here for both lunch and dinner and the lunch buffet is by far the best choice. You get soup and all you can eat sushi for under $15. There is a large selection of sushi and rolls on the buffet and the pieces are generously portioned. I've eaten at another buffet in Frederick and I struggle to even find the fish in their rolls. There are also other selections on the buffet including: tempura (shrimp, sweet potato, green beans, etc.), various salads, and other items, such as chicken, fish, fresh oranges, noodles, etc. Really a nice selection.

The restaurant is always packed, so go early or go late (i.e. 11:30am or after 1:30) or expect a wait. The actual buffet area where you get the sushi gets pretty cramped also, but it all works out. I have seen them get behind on getting a full selection of sushi out to the buffet, but only once or twice and I've been to this buffet more times than I can count. It's definitely the best sushi buffet in the area.

Just as a side note, I have done take out before, and that is good also. The pieces of sushi are HUGE. They don't usually include soup and salad on take out, but will if you insist. I've also gotten a big sushi platter (for several people) and that was wonderful. While I was waiting, they gave me a huge spicy tuna hand roll. If you sit at the sushi bar, you often will get a sample of something, especially if you're a regular.

We've had dinner here also a few times. While it is good, it is not as great a value as the lunch buffet and the wait is usually quite long. We have a young child, so I don't like to wait a long time. The restaurant is very child friendly also.

• Visited July 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Bethesda, MD
“artistic food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2012

In an ugly strip mall with many vacancies, get over that and head to Yuraku. I suggest you go with someone that knows something about sushi because the choices are overwhelming for a novice. Fish portions on individual pieces of sushi are the largest I've ever seen. Food is presented beautifully. The place is packed, but service is attentive. Got any order of fried tuna on the house for no apparent reason.

• Visited July 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Cary, North Carolina
“Pick Up Order and Food Fantastic ! Best in the area”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2012

Yuraku was recommended to us by several neighbors. They told us up front that the lines were very long at dinner, not so much during lunchtime, but that the staff we friendly and the food not only delicious, but the serving sizes large. We love good sushi, have had the fortune of eating it all over the country as we travel often.

I called our order in from their online menu and the food was ready right on time. There was a short line when I arrived, but I only had to wait for one customer to be seated. We got home and opened our take out and were pleasantly surprised. The rolls were much larger than we expected. The food was fresh. They had provided us extra salad since we weren't eating inside and it was clearly freshly prepared.

We got 5 rolls, 3 from their seasonal/special menu, 2 from their regular menu. All of them were just full of flavor, fresh made, and well prepared. The staff we encountered were very pleasant, eager to answer our questions, and courteous.

We have a favorite sushi place in NC, and loved another location here in Gaithersburg, but Yuraku has now taken our Number 1 spot in this area.

just as a side note, we did not run into any of the issues, nor did we see any of the kinds of things reported regarding cleanliness or attitude while in the restaurant.

If you go for dinner, we have been warned of the long lines - but now that I have eaten there, I understand. The wait would be worth it to us. But out take out was ready when we arrived to pick it up - but it was only an order for 2 - and we had plenty left over for dinner.

• Visited April 2012