“Our room is TOO hot!” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Germantown
Wexford
“Our room is TOO hot!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

We made our reservation on the phone, which went well. We had a late check- in, which was fine. The front desk staff member was pleasant and friendly. We got up to our clean, nicely appointed room to find that it was sweltering! We have had the AC on for 30 minutes so far, with little result. Our mini- fridge was open and defrosted, with water everywhere. There was a hotel bill already under our door, for someone else, who apparently paid half what we paid for the same room. The front desk staff member offered apologies and a new room, but then we would have to wait even longer for it to cool off. This place could be very good, but they aren't focused on the customer very well. Also, we requested a low floor, and we were given the top (5 th) floor.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Danielle H, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Germantown Gaithersburg, responded to this review, February 18, 2014
We apologize that we did not meet your expectations with a hot room, open, defrosted, mini-fridge and rate discrepencies. Thank you for bringing this to my attention, and I have discussed the mentioned issues with the team. Please allow us to show you the changes we have made the next time you are in the area.

Danielle Hedden

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
  • Finnish first
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013 via mobile

QUEEN beds rather than double!!! Hotel was in the process of being renovated. Free breakfast is standard, nice. Great location just off highway and surrounded by everything you might want. You can walk to many restaurants (fast food and table service), movie theater, drug store, bank, grocery is just down the block. Staff let us know that many of the restaurants offer a discount to hotel guests. There is an indoor pool, exercise room and guest laundry.

• Stayed June 2013
We know you have plenty of choices in hotels. Thank you for choosing to stay with us.

BelAir
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

Stayed for two nights while attending a lacrosse tournament. This was the perfect location. Just a block from 270 and 118 crossing and 10 minutes to the sports complex. the movie theatre is across the street / multiple food places within walking distance. several of the restaurants actually give you a 10% discount if you showed your room key, which is great when you are eating so many meals out.

front desk was friendly and helpful and fast!
Our room was welcoming, fresh white linen, every thing looked and smelled cleaned.
breakfast was included and was typical fare and was good.
The food stations are a little spread out which means you have to cross the room several times to get a look, at everything. Might be a way to keep any one area from getting crowded but it means having to excuse yourself as you have to carefully push passed the same people trying to eat as you go back and forth and back and forth.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for choosing to stay with us during your stay in Germantown. It is was a pleaure having you!
Montreux, Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

Definitely would stay again. All was good. Air conditioning was a bit funky so we turned it off and opened windows. Easily solved that problem. The hotel is unable good location and parking was free and plentiful.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Danielle H, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Germantown Gaithersburg, responded to this review, July 14, 2013
Thank you for choosing to stay with us during your visit to Germantown. We hope to see you again in the future.

Carnegie, Pennsylvania, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

We stayed at the Fairfield Inn & Suites Germantown Gaithersburg for four nights while on vacation this July. Everything was wonderful - the hotel was modern and clean. The employee working at the counter was quite friendly and we were always greeted as we were coming or going from the hotel.

The hot breakfast was kind of... crappy. Eggs were chunky and bland, bacon was very thin (you could read through it) and extra greasy, and the sausage was undercooked both days that we ate. All of the cold stuff was fine. Its a "free" breakfast, so I can't really complain.

Our king suite was clean and modern, and smelled like new carpet. Judging from the looks of things I would estimate that all the furniture is relatively new as well. The curtains were the only things that looked old.

One of the first things I did before getting settled into the room was pull back the sheets and mattress cover to check for bed bugs. I have never had bed bugs myself, or seen them in person, but I travel often enough to know that they are a problem in hotels. I checked the edges of the mattress, around the headboard and in the nightstand drawers and dresser. I didn't see anything that looked like a bug. I did find a few small pieces of something that looked like they may have once been a part of a bugs body - about the size of a pen tip, brown/reddish in color, and with the consistency of a the shell of a corn kernel.

The following morning I noticed 2 bug bites on my leg around 11am. I put benedryl on it and checked the bed again that night - this time stripping the entire bed instead of just pulling back the sheets. Again I didn't see any actual bugs - I noticed what I thought were stains from an ink pen on the sheets and one of the pillow cases. There were just a few here and there, so I assumed that maybe an ink pen had broken in the hotel dryer or something. I was unaware that this is what bed bug excrement looks like.

I developed 4 more bug bites over the next 3 days - all of them appearing mid-morning/early afternoon.

I did not see any actual bed bugs, but I now have a few bug bites, and I did see those black spots on the sheets for the remainder of our stay. I will be waiting to see if more bites develop on my body, and as a precaution we are drying all of our clothes on high heat and sealing our luggage in black trash bags and leaving them out in the 95° sun for a few days.

We stayed in room 314.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
First I would like to say thank you for the kind words about our team/cleanliness and our new modern look, but I am truly sorry that you encountered issues during your stay.

Thank you for bringing to my attention the issues with the eggs and meat at breakfast, and the "ink" spots on the sheets and the bug bites. I have addressed the above mentioned issues with my team to make sure that we are paying attention to all details. As for bed bugs, myself and my team have been thoroughly trained to do everyday inspections of our rooms to look for potential problems. We have not found any evidence of bed bugs, but I have called in our pest control company to do a much more thorough inspection of this room with their equipment.

Again thank you for bringing the issues to my attention and be assured that I am inspecting re-training and addressing everything with my team. I am sorry!

Mississauga, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013 via mobile

Hotel is in excellent shape rooms are exceptionally clean and very courteous professional staff. Definitely would stay here again if I was passing through. Great selections of restaurants in the immediate vicinity. Hotel Is easily accessible from the interstate.

• Stayed June 2013
We appreciate your kind words about the team here at the Fairfield Inn & Suites Germantown. Please come and see us again!

Raleigh, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

The hotel was very clean and our room appeared to have been recently updated. The breakfast was adequate. The heating/cooling unit was the manual floor-type - not one of my favorites for comfort - but what I would expect in a Fairfield Inn. The location was convenient near I270. I noticed several chain restaurants close by but we did not go to any of them on this trip. (Another guest told me the restaurants give a discount to those staying at theFairfield.) We were there for Father's Day weekend and the hotel definitely met our needs for the weekend.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
It is good to hear that you had a good Father's Day weekend with your needs met. We take pride in our ability to take care of our building and our guests. Thank you for choosing us!

Danielle Hedden

Been to Fairfield Inn & Suites Germantown Gaithersburg? Share your experiences!