“Good for what you pay for the meal.” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #49 of 124 Restaurants in Germantown
Cuisines: Steakhouse, Seafood, Australian
Germantown Maryland
“Good for what you pay for the meal.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2014

We went for a late lunch/early dinner today at the Germantown Outback. I remember when this place opened since I lived at the time just down the street. The first week it was easy to get into, ever since in the evenings forget it, the food is not worth a two hour wait. I have not been in the Outback for about three or four years but nothing has changed since it was opened in the late eighties. It is in good shape and clean so no real complaints there, I did not go to eat the furniture.

Going in at 3:00 we were seated right away, the waiter was pleasant and we had drinks and bread on our table right away. The bread was good but a bit over cooked on one end. We ordered the usual blooming onion. It came out slightly over done but we liked it a bit crispy. We knew it would be a greasy mess and it was, the plate had a fair amount of oil on it when we were finished. It was good but not good for you. The entrees came out with good timing which allowed us some time to eat our blooming onion and let it settle in. I had the house salad which since the place open has always been very good but the plate seemed a bit smaller now. I had the 9 oz. Outback special steak. They cooked it rare as requested. The taste was good but the meat was a little tough which I did not expect. I guess since we normally buy our steak at whole foods we have been spoiled with quality meat? The fries the accompanied the steak were very crispy and well done also. My wife had the steak salad. The salad had the right combination of ingredients to make it a very nice meal. The meat also rare was cooked as requested. All in all the meal for the price was very good. With a nice tip it came to $46 no alcohol drinks. The place is clean, the staff pleasant and the food good. Is it a Ruth Chris? No but the same meal there would be nearly $180 so you get what you pay for. I would go again for a late lunch. Dinner? With the lines they have the answer would have to be no, not worth a two hour wait.

• Visited January 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

San Diego, California
“Good Service but Way Too Much Salt”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2013

I hadn't been to an Outback for a couple of years but I don't remember everything being so salty. My dining partner and I ordered the regular classic steaks but completely different sides and soups and it was like the primary spice was salt and more salt. That said, the service was very good! Our waitress was attentive and friendly and if we ever decide to eat here again will have to find out ahead of time what not to order.

• Visited November 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Darnestown, Maryland
“outback”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2013 credit card Amex Card Member Review

I love the new steak platters especially the one with mushroom sauce. pairing that with a baked potato and salad is a great healthy meal with minimum of calories

Visited October 2013
Fort Worth, Texas
“Not the Best Outback”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2013

Normally you think of franchises as consistent but this Outback was a disappointment, As others state, the decor seems outdated and the restaurant has a crowded and frenetic feel. The menu even seems more limited than the Outbacks we normally visit. We were never offered bread, unusual since I saw other tables with bread. Our meals were OK. Our server was very good (except for the bread!) and didn't rush us.

• Visited August 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Chillicothe, Illinois
“Not like home!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

We decided to eat at Outback Steakhouse for lunch prior to attending a wedding that was going to be later in the evening. We have outback near where we live in Illinois, so we thought ok, lets go there it's one of our favorites! Boy were we in for a surprise. My wife ordered a steak and her seasoning was very strong and she is not a pepper eater, it was like eating pepper out of the grinder. I ordered an Aged Chedder Burger with a side of mac n' cheese. I have always loved the mac n' cheese at outback because well, it's good. This one when it came out it was cold. So, no big deal we sent it back. When we got it back, they said that it was fresh. The noodles tasted like they had been cooked the day before and that it was just re-heated in the microwave. For the first time since I started eating at outback, I didn't finish the mac n' cheese and it's my favorite thing on the menu. To say the least, we were sorely disappointed in this outback and if and when we travel back to the Gaithersburg/Germantown, MD area, we will not go back to that location.

• Visited April 2013