“Better than previous visit” 3 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Families with children, Romantic, Large groups
Dining options: Reservations
Washington, District of Columbia, United States
“Better than previous visit”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

I am giving Carrabba's, in Germantown, 3 stars. The previous time I was here, a few months back, I would've rated it lower, due to the server I had. That, and the fact that I had to tell the manager that in addition to a very rude waitstaff, that the veal had a lot of gristle.

However, tonight, was a different story. First of all, there was going to be a 15 minute wait, for a party of 1, due to how busy they were. And, when I left after eating, there was a line as well. But, the helper hostesses told me about the 'pasta bar' and if I wanted to sit back there, or at the bar, there was no wait-time. One of the hostesses took me back there and showed me. What a treat! You get to sit and watch them prepare pizzas and the other food. Plus, dining alone, I got to chat w/the other people seated there.
My server, Nikki, was very nice, told me about the new items on the menu, and actually recommended the entree I ended up ordering. She was busy, but the food came out in a timely manner.
Food was tasty. I ordered a new dish, the Chicken Marscapone, and it is my new favorite there; delicious sauce!
So, for me, a better visit this time.

• Visited July 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Rockville, Maryland, United States
“Expected More for the Advertising Budget”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

If you're like me you've probably heard dozens of commercials for this particular chain. I've eaten at lots of chain Italian places and we all know how they compare with local mom-n-pop places run by real Italians. Nevertheless, I'd heard decent "buzz" about Carabba's and thought it might be a cut above. Additionally, we had around $70 in gift cards so I figured, "what the hey?"
The food was pretty run-off-the-mill; reasonably seasoned and decent sized portions. The fish chowder (soup-of-the-day) was good, but suspect that was locally created. They used WAY too much dressing on the salads (especially when we ordered it dressing on the side).
In the end, I probably won't go back here. Not because it was bad, but because I didn't get anything that excited me or made me crave this particular establishment. Chain Italian places are ubiquitous; for them, being average just isn't good enough.

• Visited July 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Maryland
“Good Italian food with open kitchen to watch!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

Over the years I have eaten many meals at this restaurant and I particularly like their veal parmigiana. This is one of those restaurants everyone can find something they like and groups are accommodated easily. A vegan acquaintance likes how the chefs always seems willing to prepare non-vegan dishes to suit her needs. While not a gourmet Italian restaurant it is a definite crowd-pleaser especially for families.

Visited September 2012
Germantown, Maryland
“Average at best.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

We went for Father's day (table of four) and were seated fairly quickly. The first thing we noticed is that the air conditioning was very cold and since they took down the walls and opened up the place it was also very loud! We asked for blue cheese dressing on a salad and were told we don't have it. I ordered lemonade and when I went to get a refill was told they ran out. I ordered the Pork chop marsala and twenty minutes after I placed the order was told they ran out. Another person at our table ordered asparagus and after a few minutes were told they ran out of that also. My companion ordered a shrimp and rice dish cooked in a paper bag and once opened contained a little pile of rice and five very small shrimp. Our overall experience was average at best! The dining experience was loud and rushed for a meal easily forgotten!

• Visited June 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Frederick, Maryland
“My favorite”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2013

This is my favorite Italian restaurant in Frederick. Food can be a bit on the rich side, but I've never been disappointed. Deserts are great, too.

Visited March 2013