“A Little Off the Beaten Path” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Good for: Romance, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Dinner, Reservations
Kensington
“A Little Off the Beaten Path”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

The Black Market Bistro tucked into the small town of Garrett Park is a gem. They serve good food at reasonable prices either inside in one of three smallish rooms or on the front porch where you can watch trains go by. The serve very good hamburgers, onion straws and pizza. The largest of the dining rooms, on the left side, can get pretty noisy as the tables are pretty close together. The other two rooms are more intimate where you don't have to raise your voice to carry on a conversation..

• Visited December 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

“Quaint and tasty”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2013 via mobile

The French onion soup was iffy, but the rest was solid. The veggie plate entree was a true gem, not an afterthought. Shrimp and grits and a pork chop and a KILLER mushroom pizza rounded out a fine meal.

• Visited May 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Can't I give 4.8 stars?”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

Someone very special to me celebrated a birthday and I wanted to take him somewhere nice for dinner before a show at the Strathmore. Rockville and Bethesda are so inundated with chain restaurants, it's hard to find something a little different and above the fray.

I made reservations for Black Market after reading the reviews here and at another Help site, and I'm glad I did. Such a lovely, beautiful setting for a low-key romantic dinner.

The service was superb and the food very good. I had the hangar steak and he had the roast chicken, and we were both very satisfied with our choices. I'm attaching photos of both entrees.

The only thing that brought this review down to 4.8 stars was the noise level. We were in what I think was the largest room and it was so incredibly loud that we couldn't carry on a conversation without practically shouting...kind of a buzz kill for what I wanted to be a quiet romantic dinner. I guess that's what you get in an old building with cavernous ceilings and hardwood floors. It wasn't that I wouldn't go back here, I definitely will, but I'd not go for the "quiet romantic" vibe here again!

• Visited April 2013
Kensington, Maryland
“Tucked away gem.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

My husband and I love this restaurant. The historic building in Garrett Park adds to the overall ambience of an adult evening out. This is a nice place for a quick chicken finger/nugget-free dinner. We always order the calamari salad to share which arrives on two large size plates so we don't have to fuss with splitting it at the table. My favorite pizza is the veggie. For a non-burger fan, theirs are great. Go easy on the extras (cheese, bacon, etc.) so you can enjoy the taste of the meat. You can't go wrong with anything on the menu. Make reservations. Although it's always busy and they have wood floors, you can still enjoy a relaxing conversation.

• Visited March 2013
Bethesda, MD
“Always a great experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

I love the atmosphere and location of this hide-away place. An old train station with the trains still coming by. It is hidden in a lovely old neighborhood with its own history. The menu is always first class. The wines expertlychosen. We have eaten here many times, but I especially like the summer when you can eat on the porch and watch the trains (noisy but fun) go by.
Last night I ordered tuna with an interesting combo of barley, corn, herbs and other vegetables with apples infused with liquor. Unfortunately, the combo was over-thymed. It did say they were thyme flavored, but it was overdone. I am sure they would have made it good for me, but the rest of the meal was so good I didn't want to send it back. My husband had the steak tartar and we shared some great oysters that were battered and perfectly fried to a crunchy finish. He followed his meal with a delicious chocolate pudding with chocolate chips and chantilly cream. I was disappointed that one more restaurant does not cater to the many customers like myself who cannot tolerate dairy. There was not one item on the menu that did not have dairy products in it.
This happens all too often for a dessert lover like myself. The Black Market is still a first choice for me. The other Black's restaurants are also top notch.

• Visited March 2013