“Love Maple Tree Campground” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Maple Tree Campground

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Gapland
Maple Tree Campground
20716 Townsend Road, Gapland, MD 21779   |
Germantown, Maryland
“Love Maple Tree Campground”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2012

We camped there once during 2011 - stayed in the Willow tree cottage. Clean and roomy. We have booked 3 more camping dates for 2012. Can't wait to go back!!! Dog friendly, clean bathrooms and showers, and the people who run the place are amazing. Our friends stayed at a neighboring tree cottage - they have booked 2 trips this year. Relaxing, private, a real get away that is close to home.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple

77 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Chicago
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2011

I stayed one night in the Cypress cottage while hiking the nearby Appalachian Trail. The cottage was spacious, and spotlessly clean with a very comfortable bed and mattress. I had a couple special requests and the owner and associate were very gracious and went far, far out of their way to help me. This is a fantastic place run by fantastic people.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
treehouse123, Owner at Maple Tree Campground, responded to this review, October 5, 2011
Thank you for positive feed-back. It is a joy to have gracious people pass through here, thanks, Louise
goflyergo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2011

I stayed with my husband, another couple, and our two dogs in the Magnolia, and we had a fantastic time! It was small but clean, with more than enough bed space (two single bunks, a double bed, and a queen bed). Even though there were about a million Boyscouts staying there that weekend, we felt relative peace and privacy. The location is gorgeous, with easy access to the Apalachian trail. The facilities were lovely (try the outdoor showers!), and our campground was spacious and nice. There were a campfire ring and grill, as well as a wood stove inside (though we didn't use the stove). Firewood was for sale at a reasonable price at the office, in addition to a bunch of canned goods and other necessities, should you forget something (no perishables, though).

And the owners are the nicest people EVER! Truly, I want to come back just to interact with them more.

Room Tip: The Magnolia has great access to the showers and bathroom without being noisy.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
treehouse123, Owner at Maple Tree Campground, responded to this review, September 29, 2011
Thank you very much for your kind words, you really made my day, thanks.
USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2011

Owner - Fabulous!
Location - Perfect!
Facilities - Clean!
Showers - Fun!
Trip- Awesome!

We had a great time at this location. The owner is very accommodating and the campground is beautiful. The tree houses are clean. The showers are outdoors, which was kind of refreshing. The only issue we faced was the roads. The incline is very steep, making it an exhausting climb to and from the bathroom/shower/water/electricity/firewood source. The roads were in extremely bad shape (large holes and erosion causing you to bottom out on rocks) when we were there so we couldn't drive our cars up to our site without risking damage to them. Great camping location if you don't mind the hike and you don't have any physical limitations.

Room Tip: Ask for one of the lower cabins/treehouses so you can avoid the hill.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
treehouse123, Owner at Maple Tree Campground, responded to this review, July 29, 2011
Thanks for your very positive review. The rough patch of the road has been paved since your visit. (see pictures on facebook.)
Alexandria
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2011

I was wonderfully surprised how clean and bugless the inside of the cottages were! Very cute and comfortable. Even the outdoor showers were kinda nice with the natural stone and cement look going on there.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
Baltimore, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2011

Had a great time camping here. The owners are very friendly/helpful. The restroom is clean and the camp store is well stocked. The driveway was steep (we had no trouble in a honda accord), but maybe could have been a problem in bad weather.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
treehouse123, Owner at Maple Tree Campground, responded to this review, July 16, 2011
Well, since you have been here I bit the bullet and paved the entrance to the camp, there is a 40 yard incline. There are pictures on Face book, linked to our web site. The rest of the road is quite flat, except for the roads up to the 4 four wheel drive only sites. (Wildebeest, Cougar, Badger, Otter).
You are right, though, weather can affect roads, even paved roads. This past Spring we had the most intense flash flood I have ever seen, and the main road looked like a river, and was impassable for 3 hours, it happened on a Saturday and we were all stranded. It was an adventure.
Andalusia, PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2011

I visited the campground for the second time beginning on Memorial Day. I found this campground last year on the web and used it while visiting and hiking Harpers Ferry. I camp in a tent. I like the tent sites here because they are wooded and there is actually space between camp sites! So many tent sites in other campgrounds, especially those with RV's, are an afterthought put close together on cleared land. Here, there is an abundance of trees and shade. The days I visited this time were used for hiking some of the nearby AT and relaxing while reading in the fresh air. Although the temperature was well above 90, the shade made sitting outside and sleeping pleasant. Louise and Calvin are both great hosts, pleasant and courteous. It's a bit of a trip for me from Philly but I when I enjoy someplace I tend to return. Too many misses when trying out new places.

The bathrooms are more than adequate, clean an maintained. I do not expect the Four Seasons when camping. I enjoy the outdoor showers. Perhaps other guests did not wait long enough for the hot water to arrive as I too was initially concerned but gave it a few minutes and it the water was fine.

Yes, the camp has a dirt road wih ruts and rocks. I made it to my site just fine with a front wheel drive car. Do you have to go slow, watch where you are going and navigate somewhat? Yes, it is an unpaved road! Do you drive the same way when there is six inches of snow on the ground? Some readers should probably not answer that question.

For me, Maple Tree is what I desire in a campground and I will be back.

Stayed May 2011, traveled solo

Been to Maple Tree Campground? Share your experiences!