“decent hilton but wifi is terrible” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save Up To 20%
Ranked #8 of 15 hotels in Gaithersburg
southern california
“decent hilton but wifi is terrible”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2010

The hotel is fine, but as a business traveller I need constant wifi in the evenings in order to get my work done. The wifi service in my room was terrible. It took ten minutes to connect the first time and then I was dropped within a minute. I could not get the connection back. I went down to the lobby and it did not work there either. I was told to use the business center but it was full of other people - and they only have two stations. I had to get maintenance to call the internet company and it took about 30 minutes to get service back. I had similar problems the second night but fortunately I had a cellular aircard loaned to me by one of the agencies so I used that instead. The spotty wifi is completely unacceptable for a business traveller.

Otherwise I found the staff helpful. They gave me free breakfast coupons after I complained about the wifi. The room was fine - it needs some updating and repairs for example the bathroom door had putty all over the bottom corner and needs to be refinished and painted. But the room was not in a terrible state, just showing some minor wear. The bed was fine. I requested no feathers and this was not done when I arrived but it was taken care of while I ate dinner in the restaurant. The hotel restaurant was great. Both dinners were superb. The breakfast was also great. Parking is free and plentiful and the hotel is convenient to businesses in the area. It's a little tricky to get to the hotel from 270 but not unduly so. I got decent cellular service at this hotel. One other issue that I had with the hotel was the lack of a gift shop at night. They have a very nice shop with starbucks and sundries but it closes before dinner time. Other hotels I stay at have a shop that is typically open until around 10pm but not this hotel.

There was a school group staying at the hotel but likely on another floor because I did not have any problems with noise. The only noise I experienced was a truck backing up (beep beep beep) at around 2am I don't know what it was it was annoying but otherwise the hotel was decently quiet.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
HiltonManagement, Front Office Manager at Hilton Washington DC North Gaithersburg, responded to this review, May 22, 2010
Dear Businesstraveller2,
Thank you for your recent review of our hotel! We are pleased to know that you found our accommodations to be comfortable and convenient! It is our desire to provide exceptional service and we are very sorry that we failed you with our Wifi service. We are very excited to say that we will be renovating our guest rooms later this year and the carpets will be replaced. Indeed we have contacted our Internet Provider of the concerns that you have shared and hopefully on your next visit you may be able to enjoy better and faster connection. Once again, thank you for your comments and we hope to see you again.

298 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Los Angeles, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2010

I travel at least monthly for business and pleasure and try to stay in Hilton branded hotels. I do have Hilton Honors status and usually I enjoy my stays. Unfortunately this was my worst encounter with a Hilton hotel and it is highly unlikely I would book here again when I'm in town on business. I may not even book Hilton again when in the DC area.

After a long day of traveling you just want to get to the hotel and kick back before a round of meetings early the next day. Especially when you are crossing timezones. I got to this hotel around 11pm and was told there was a problem. Only 1 room was available and it had a toilet issue. The Manager went up to inspect it and said it should be fine and put me in that room.

So I check into the room and the carpet was WET... the room was flooded. They even had air blowers in the room which they told me to just turn it off when I'm going to sleep. I was so tired it didn't matter I thought, but I definitely wasn't happy with the situation. They didn't even offer an apology!

I didn't think it would be so bad to have to wear my shoes in the room so my feet didn't get wet from toilet water in the carpets, but when I turned off the air blowers to go to sleep it just stunk of wet carpet all night. Definitely not a good night's sleep.

Looking back, I should have made them find me a room at the Hilton in Rockville as I would have gone the extra 7 miles to get a proper room. What made it worse was that they didn't even apologize even the next morning when I complained at the front desk and demanded I get a new room.

I usually always see those comment cards in the rooms, but not this time. I wonder if they purposely hid them from me this time, but I'll be providing feedback via their website.

I did spend a few minutes in the lounge and the bartender was extremely friendly. An issue with the Lounge was that they couldn't get the hockey game. This is Washington DC and you can't get your hometown NHL team on the TVs during the playoffs?

There is free wifi in the hotel, but I had issues connecting from my room. The Lounge area was fine. More hotels should include free wifi.

Breakfast buffet is ~$15, banking on the business travelers to expense it I guess. Better off for the non-business traveler to go else where.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
Dear Daymeeyan,

Thank you for your recent review of our hotel! Clearly we had not performed to our usual standards when you had checked in which we sinceely apologize. I have reviewed your feedback with the Front Desk Team and from your feedback, we have implemented protocols in resolving concerns like these if there should be any re-occurences.
Your crticism was very constructive and will help us to get better. Hopefully we will have tbe pleasure in seeing you again in tne future.
Greensboro,NC
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2010

Upon entering the Hilton, it looks like a nice place. Clean, upscale lobby; restaurant and bar off the lobby; efficient check-in area. But once you hit the rooms. Yuk.

My room was on the 12th floor (Hilton Honors) and was in need of a major renovation. The carpet was old, had a stain and looked dirty. The beds were OK. The TV was old and the furniture looked dated. In the morning, could hear train horns somewhere close.

It was convenient as it was close to the highway but that was about it. I would not recommend staying here until they renovate the rooms.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
Del Mar, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2010

This is a squallid hotel in an area where there is nowhere to go within walking distance. The carpet in the rooms is stained and worn out. The fixtures in the bathrooms are coming to pieces, and the best view is that of a parking lot.

The staff is helpful, but what can they do, given the state of the rooms? The food at the restaurant is decent and the barman friendly. They have a shuttle that transports people around, but the srvice stops at 10pm, so it is hard to use it for going out for dinner, unless you go early.

Finally, when I asked the front desk to order a cab for the airport, they ordered a very expensive limo that charged double the cab price, and was not much better than a cab. What a scam!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
northeast
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2010

Stayed here in February and really enjoyed it. Overall, I give it 4 stars because of the attentiveness of the housekeepers, staff, and manager.

The good: room was always cleaned spotlessly by housekeeper, much better so than in other hotels I've stayed. The staff were very nice and accommodating. During breakfast in the restaurant, the manager roamed around to ask about comments, etc. One day I came back from a hard day's work and found an envelope on my bed with a free drink coupon inside for the hotel bar. Was forced to eat dinner at the restaurant one night during a blizzard outside and found the food to be quite good, actually, for a hotel restaurant. Breakfast was decent. Room service--not so good. I'd recommend actually eating in the hotel Rooks Restaurant. One other thing I like: this hotel wraps the bedspread in sheets...one on top and one on bottom...so you don't have to worry about who/what's been on the bedspread before your arrival! Many hotels do not wash bedspreads or cover them in between guests.

The bad: My room was a little dated. The bathroom had been nicely remodeled, with granite countertops, new tile, and a new shower curtain that pops out away from the tub. That was nice. The room itself was desperately in need of a new carpet. The TV also seemed old, too, and I've stayed in many other lower end Hilton brands that have upgraded to LCD TV's. The mattresses were newer, although not that comfortable...they'd benefit from a featherbed or mattress topper like that used by some other chains.

Overall, very satisfied with stay.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business
Pawleys Island SC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2010

I was traveling with my wife trying to get her to the funeral of her grandfather. A major blizzard hit and we had to stop looking for a place to stay. I can't say enough good things about this hotel. Checking in a 12:30 am the front desk staff were great. We received a discount rate due to the storm. The rooms were clean and comfortable. The staff went above and beyond at all times making our stay pleasant under bad circumstances. I wish all of my hotel stays were this good. If I'm ever in the area again, there will be no question where I'm staying.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
Prescott, Arizona, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2009

This hotel is wonderful. We stayed here for a week while visiting family. We originally booked here becuase they are pet-friendly (75 pounds max.) and we found a great rate ($93). We were delighted that the rooms were large enough to comfortably accomodate our "stuff" (we do NOT travel light). Also (and most importantly), the beds are very comfortable!!! Staff is wonderful, room service always a welcome treat and pay-per-view movies made this place a pleasure. The hotel is so perfectly located near a mall and right off of 270. We will definitely stay here again if in the area.

By the way, Seneca Creek State Park is just a few miles away and is a beautiful place tucked away in the middle of the urban sprawl. Many miles of trails, some of which are dog-friendly (check out the Greenway Trail for dog fun).

Another tip - there is a Metro station one exit down 270. We hopped on and were in D.C. within 30 minutes. Very convenient.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Hilton Washington DC North Gaithersburg? Share your experiences!