“Beautiful place; spotty service.” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save Up To 20%
Ranked #8 of 15 Hotels in Gaithersburg
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
“Beautiful place; spotty service.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2009

The Hilton Gaitherbsurg was the required residence for a conference I was attending. It kinda feels like it in the middle of nowhere, but it is just near a mall (within 5 minutes' walking distance) and the hotel van will take you anywhere within a 5-minute ride between 7am and 10pm, which includes the Shady Grove Metro Station and the Washingtonian Center outdoor mall.

The food at the hotel was hit or miss. I never had breakfast, but dinner was so-so. The crab bisque was great, while the caesar salad lacked seasoning, as did the filet mignon.

One nice touch was the pichers of water (seasoned with spices and fruit) at the elevator stand on the lobby floor. I tried more than one glass and found it to be great, but it was difficult to know when they would appear and for how long.

Ditto the Starbucks and the mini-shopping area (for essentials) in the lobby. It was always open in the morning, but I never once saw them open in the afternoon or evening.

The rooms are big and comfortable. Can't open the windows, but I am used to that by now--you can't open windows in most hotels now. Wireless internet access was strong, usually, but got slow once in a while.

Business center was small, but adequate if you only needed to print your boarding pass.

One issue with service had me upset. I called for room service and let the phone ring 30-50 times. Then I called the front deak and explained. They apologized and said the restaurant would call me. 10 minutes later, they had not. I called the front desk again and they apologized and said the front desk would check on it and call me back. They never did, so I went out to eat.

And I met the most wonderful employee--Timothy--who drove the van. He must've seen my mood because in the 5-minute drive to the Washingtonian Center, he changed my mood from dour to really quite happy. I commend him and whoever hired him.

Check in and check out was quick.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Loma Linda, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2009

I was really surprised how expensive hotels were in the D.C. area though I was booking 3 weeks in advance until I found this hotel which is rated as three and half stars with a shuttle service operating from 7am to 10pm to the close-by Metro station (which is 5 mins away). The staff was very helpful although when we first checked -in there was nobody there to help us get the luggage upstairs and we had to do it ourselves. The room was very spacious and clean. We really enjoyed our stay there and will definitely do it again.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
Detroit
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2009

We stayed for 4 days while on vacation visiting DC. They were more than polite and kind to us every day including the complimentary rides to and from the Metro. I didn't like the pillows but I do sleep on a firm/contour pillow normally and those were down, so it's a matter of taste. The pool was WONDERFUL after a day of site seeing and the whirlpool really felt great on our sore feet. One night we ended up eating in at the Lounge (the Rook was closed) but it ended up being the best meal of our whole vacation. I had the Shrimp w/Liguene and my husband had an Angus Burger. We did find a beer cap in our room and since we weren't drinking beer, we knew it wasn't cleaned the best. But overall it was a nice stay.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
Atlanta
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2008

Pretty much a bottom of the barrel Hilton. I almost wanted to give it a 3/5 rating but I think it earned the 2/5. I just couldn't say this was "Average" for the Hiltons I've stayed in at this price range.

Room was a little dank smelling, carpet left white socks black.
TV reception was distorted on several channels.
Bathroom was clean but had cracked tile and was over all a little worn in appearance.
The internet connection was weak and slow.
The vending machine didn't work on the 8th floor and on the 7th floor it took your $2 and gave you nothing. Hotel management did give me a 12 oz canned drink but could not give me a 20oz as the machine advertised or my $2 back.
Pizza could not be delivered to the room, I had to go down to the lobby to get my pizza.
Some of the elevators were positively scary as well as slow.

• Liked — it was close to the conference I was attending
  • Disliked — Leaving my room after ordering a Pizza to be delivered.
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
UnitedStates
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2008

THe hotel was absolutely great. We stayed right at ground level, and the hallway was clean. I was with a group so we had security on our floor at all times. The pool was nice and big, and the fitness center is small, but excersise worthy.

• Liked — The hotel as a whole
  • Disliked — The location
  • Stayed June 2007
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Troy, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2008

This is a pretty good hotel. The building itself seems to be pretty old but the interior is nice and modern. They have done a good job with renovations to the rooms. The only thing that gives it away is the undersized bathroom by today's standards.

This is the place to stay if you are on business travel to IBM or Lockheed Martin which is right around the corner. Other than that the location is not the greatest, a lot of suburban sprawl and nothing else. If I wasn't visiting someplace on this exit I would probably stay at the Courtyard Washington Center which has restaurants, shopping, walking trails and a movie theater attached.

The bed was typical Hilton, very comfortable and high quality linens. The desk was nice and had a good looking brown leather chair. The chair was not very high quality though, cheap leather and it rocked side to side. No where near as good as the chairs at HGI. The free wi-fi got slow at night but was fast in the morning, they need some more bandwidth to keep up in the evenings. There is a hard wired connection as well although I did not try it.

Room services was hit or miss. The first night was excellent and she arranged my toiletries for me. This is always a nice touch if you don't mind a stranger touching your toothbrush. The second day the maid pretty much made the bed and emptied the trash. My $5 Italian Spring water bottles were not even replaced. I was never charged for any water, although I drank several of them.

A small Starbucks is in the lobby. HHoners members will get a coupon for a free drink of your choice. I got a large coffee every morning and it was always fresh, nice not to have to make an additional stop in the morning.

• Liked — Proximitey to meeting location
  • Disliked — Slow wireless internet at night
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Norfolk
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2008

Some friends and I stayed here for one night recently, and I was very pleased with the staff. I was in town for a funeral and needed an early check in so I could change my clothes. I called that morning to ask, and the room was ready when I arrived at 1:30 PM. The women at the front desk were so pleasant and accomodating. The dining room closes for lunch at 2:00, so after deposiing my luggage in the room I didn't get there until 1:45. Even though I was the only customer and I'm sure that the waitress and hostess wanted to get out of there, they could not have been more pleasant. The room was standard, but clean, and the food was quite good. I would definitely stay there again.

• Liked — the staff
  • Disliked — Rooms could use new carpeting.
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Hilton Washington DC North Gaithersburg? Share your experiences!