“good solid hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #8 of 15 Hotels in Gaithersburg
Los Angeles
“good solid hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2013

I've been here a couple times for business and each time, I can depend on very solid service and good rooms. Meeting room facilities are good also. I do have to admit though, every time I come here I am usually in meetings with a number of people and inevitably someone has some difficulty with reservations or bill, but it hasn't happened to me.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
hiltongaithersburgGM, General Manager at Hilton Washington DC North Gaithersburg, responded to this review, November 1, 2013
Hello BrainDoc90—Thank you for staying at the Gaithersburg Hilton for your recent business trip and for taking the time to post your comments on TripAdvisor. I am pleased that you found our service to be solid and accommodations to your satisfaction. I am not aware of the specifics of your comments about reservations or bills, but we are certainly sensitized to this and try to rectify such issues quickly and to the satisfaction of our guests.
We hope to see you back again soon when your travel or business needs bring you back to the area.
Yale Feldman

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Charlotte, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2013

This Hilton is located convenient to the highway, other restaurants and plenty of shopping. It's facilities are well kept, stylish and friendly. The meeting rooms were nicely kept with plenty of pre-function space. You must eat the breakfast buffet. It is delicious!

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

hiltongaithersburgGM, General Manager at Hilton Washington DC North Gaithersburg, responded to this review, November 4, 2013
Hello Nancy Hope D—Thank you for choosing the Gaithersburg Hilton for your recent visit to Gaithersburg and Washington D.C surrounds. We are pleased that you chose us and even more pleased that you enjoyed the area and the hotel facilities. Breakfast is pretty busy here, so I hope everyone else feels the way you do about our breakfast buffet. We hope to have you stay with us again when your travels bring you back to this area.
Baltimore, Maryland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

At check in, I asked for a room in a quiet, and I was assured that it would be. An hour after I settled into my room, the cleaning services was on my floor, and carried on for almost two hours shouting orders and one another. I tried calling the front desk, to report the disturbance, but the bed side phone didn't work. In addition, the toilet kept making a loud pressure noise, like the toilet was refilling. There was also a constant noise above my room resembling that of someone rolling a cart back and forth over the floor. And lastly, a large picture in the bathroom had shattered glass, and the hotel didn't feel it necessary to replace it. Even though an huge shard of glass was dangling from the top of the frame. Even after all that I had reported, the hotel manager didn't make any consideration on my room rate, even as an Hilton Honors member.

Room Tip: If you want a professional, quiet place to rest, choose another hotel.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
hiltongaithersburgGM, General Manager at Hilton Washington DC North Gaithersburg, responded to this review, October 25, 2013
Hello Joshua K—I am pleased that you chose our hotel for your recent visit and I thank you for positing a review to let us know of your experience at the hotel. Obviously, I am not pleased that you had so many concerns with the room, the service you received, and the overall conditions you encountered. We take these findings very seriously and I have already shared your comments with my management staff. Without going into detail on everything you mentioned, I assure you that we have addressed them and will continue to follow up to ensure the issues are resolved. I hope that you will again choose the Gaithersburg Hilton for your next visit to the area and I assure you that you will find the conditions more to your satisfaction.

Pensacola, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

I was expecting a little more from a Hilton but didn't get it. The staff was pretty friendly and the room was very large but outdated. It was dark and the carpet was dirty. The indoor pool was nice and they did offer a shuttle to the Shady Grove Metro Station.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Hello Chris A-- Thank you for choosing the Gaithersburg Hilton for your recent travels to the area. I appreciate your comments and am saddened that you don’t feel that you got what you expected in our facility. We are very proud of our product and service and consistently score high in our Hilton Quality Assurance reviews. As recently as mid September we had a thorough review and scored very well. I will take your comments to heart, though, and we will strive to improve the situations you noted. We hope to see you again soon.

Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

A quality place to stay and an excellent staff to serve you! The location to conduct business in the northern of the D.C. was of benefit to us. Services provided to take us to outside destinations such as locall businesses was without a problem.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Hello Percy B—Thank you for your kind comments about your recent stay at the Gaithersburg Hilton. Good comments about our staff are very satisfying to read as this is the most important aspect of guest service and hospitality. I have shared this with all of our staff. We look forward to having you back when your travels again bring you to this area.
Sentosa Island, Singapore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

when I reach the hotel it look normal to me.it got a nice lobby.the door man just standing there never bother to help me carry the the luggage.the front desk is not friendly at all.no greeting from them.
location-never went out,no comment.
amenities-room lighting is dim not bright at all.wall paper peel off,dirty flooring.tv not much channel.swimming pool never use it.
cooling system need to replace sound noise.
food-it ok,so far so good.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Hello sadmagarita-Thank you for staying with us on your recent visit to the area and for letting us know of opinion on our facility and service, both good and bad. We are complimented by your good comments and will use your adverse findings to guide us in bettering our product. I have shared your findings with the managers in charge of those areas and they will work to improve our greetings, service and overall guest room conditions. I see that you come from far away from this area, but if your travels bring you back, I hope that you will once again choose us for your hotel needs.
Pittsburgh, PA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2013

Very bad experience at this hotel, as a Hilton Hhonors member. Upon check in there was no friendly greeting, recognition of being a HH member or anything - I was asked for name and confirmed a king bed. I was given the wrong type of room, it was only a king not a king deluxe. I returned to the desk and was told "the only difference the king deluxe has is a balcony and a view." Uh, hello? Second room given was next to a hallway by the elevators on the 12th floor. Upon arrival you could hear what sounded like someone hammering for minutes on end, or someone taking a spoon and banging it on a metal pot and then it would stop. But only for a few minutes. I thought it was roof construction or something. It went on all day until I realized it was one of the elevators making that much noise to be heard inside a hotel room through the walls! That night, no other rooms were available but one in the basement. I should have taken that room as I could not get any sleep whatsoever from the elevator machinery. That morning I was told I would be moved promptly to another room away from the elevator as soon as one was cleaned. Four hours later, no maids were even working on the rooms on my floor anymore, one even offered to clean the room I was in, and no effort was made to move me after going to the desk twice. I was already late for a business appointment because I could not get any sleep. At one point, I was waiting for the elevators to go back up to the room and I heard the one doorman(?) say to the front desk manager, "Maybe I'll go sing him a lullaby to go to sleep." Outrageously rude behavior and the front desk clerk denied hearing the other worker say that. I know what I heard. I asked for the general manager and the desk clerk manager said, "I am taking care of this." At that point, I left after another day scheduled at the hotel. In nearly 40 years of traveling with family and for business, I have never been treated so blatantly rude.

Bottom line - do not stay here under any circumstances. I would have very serious concerns about the safety of one of the elevators. Don't believe me - go up to the 12th floor and listen to the clanging and banging you can hear in the hallway from the elevator shaft. That's what you will hear all night long in your room. Rudest front desk workers I have ever experienced in a hotel property. Wallpaper was peeling and discolored in the bathroom. Carpeting was dirty and worn in the room. There was a large roach/waterbug in the pool area. The dark and uninviting pool is open ridiculously short hours - and not even the hours posted in the room directory, they open/close earlier! The balcony photos on their website show a table and chair on the balcony - there were neither. The hook for the drapes had fallen off and someone just threw it on the floor. Nearly every employee I dealt with, even before mentioning the elevator issue, looked agitated and absolutely disgusted to work there. If you are alone at night, I would seriously ask for an escort from the parking lot to the front door. The lot is not lit properly, most of it borders on woods - except for the employee area which is lit by a flood light. See what type of consideration this hotel has for its guests?

This hotel can NOT possibly stand up to any sort of Hilton inspection. No fridges, no microwaves in the room? Come on. Even Econo Lodges have those in 2013. They charge $3.00 for a warm bottle of water in your room?!? More outrageousness. Even Holiday Inn gives its Priority Club members free bottles of water and a snack bag. Far below any Hilton standard, or even professional hotel quality. Absolutely the bottom of the barrel, and beyond unacceptable for the Hilton chain. This location is a disgrace to the Hilton name. They should reflag it as something else before it does serious damage to the Hilton brand.

Room Tip: None. The property is smelly, elevators unsafe, and staff are rude.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
hiltongaithersburgGM, General Manager at Hilton Washington DC North Gaithersburg, responded to this review, September 30, 2013
Hello JKF56- Thank you for choosing the Gaithersburg Hilton for your recent stay in the area and for taking the time to post a detailed account of your stay, I have read this in great detail as I am very concerned that you were so disappointed with your stay. I assure you that I will be addressing this with my management staff and with the specific line employees that you reference. I would like to address several of your comments, though:
1. Our elevators are safe and well maintained. We are under contract with an elevator installation and maintenance Company with a national to reputation. Our elevators are inspected at least once a week and all repairs or preventive maintenance procedures are performed as required.
2. All rooms on the floor you were located are designated as Hhonors floor rooms and as such all are supplied with complimentary bottles of water. In addition, with regard to the elevator noise concerns you mentioned, we had one long term stay guest in the same vicinity as you were and this person did not raise any complaints or concerns at all. As such, we did not think there would be a noise issue placing you in that room. I do understand that you were offered a room change by our most senior front desk associate who was trying to assist you, but you declined.
3. All guest rooms are cleaned every day during an eight hour shift beginning at 8 am.
4. The hotel does not have a basement. There are ground level rooms in the low rise wing of the building, but no part of any room is under ground.
5. Our parking lot has lights in all sectors and the lighting has been recently enhanced in the area of the lot bordered by trees. We trim the trees professionally to reduce any blockage to the light.
6. We do have Refrigerators and Microwaves in many, but not all, of our rooms. I am sorry if we did not offer you this alternative. Those rooms, however, are not on our 12th floor which are the rooms we normally use for our Hhonors guests. As most of those repeat guests are frequent travelers, traveling on business for one or 2 days, they do not require such items, but prefer to use our full service hotel offerings of restaurant, room service and lounge.
7. The hotel has consistently measured up to Hilton standards and has had very high scores, with exceptional scores for cleanliness, in the Quality Assurance Evaluations going back more than five years.

I hope this addresses some of your more serious concerns and that you will consider our hotel for your future stays in the area.

Yale Feldman

Been to Hilton Washington DC North Gaithersburg? Share your experiences!