“Excellent Stay” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #7 of 15 Hotels in Gaithersburg
Atlanta, Georgia
“Excellent Stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

A quality place to stay and an excellent staff to serve you! The location to conduct business in the northern of the D.C. was of benefit to us. Services provided to take us to outside destinations such as locall businesses was without a problem.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

hiltongaithersburgGM, General Manager at Hilton Washington DC North Gaithersburg, responded to this review, November 1, 2013
Hello Percy B—Thank you for your kind comments about your recent stay at the Gaithersburg Hilton. Good comments about our staff are very satisfying to read as this is the most important aspect of guest service and hospitality. I have shared this with all of our staff. We look forward to having you back when your travels again bring you to this area.
Yale Feldman

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
Sentosa Island, Singapore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

when I reach the hotel it look normal to me.it got a nice lobby.the door man just standing there never bother to help me carry the the luggage.the front desk is not friendly at all.no greeting from them.
location-never went out,no comment.
amenities-room lighting is dim not bright at all.wall paper peel off,dirty flooring.tv not much channel.swimming pool never use it.
cooling system need to replace sound noise.
food-it ok,so far so good.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
hiltongaithersburgGM, General Manager at Hilton Washington DC North Gaithersburg, responded to this review, October 25, 2013
Hello sadmagarita-Thank you for staying with us on your recent visit to the area and for letting us know of opinion on our facility and service, both good and bad. We are complimented by your good comments and will use your adverse findings to guide us in bettering our product. I have shared your findings with the managers in charge of those areas and they will work to improve our greetings, service and overall guest room conditions. I see that you come from far away from this area, but if your travels bring you back, I hope that you will once again choose us for your hotel needs.
Pittsburgh, PA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2013

Very bad experience at this hotel, as a Hilton Hhonors member. Upon check in there was no friendly greeting, recognition of being a HH member or anything - I was asked for name and confirmed a king bed. I was given the wrong type of room, it was only a king not a king deluxe. I returned to the desk and was told "the only difference the king deluxe has is a balcony and a view." Uh, hello? Second room given was next to a hallway by the elevators on the 12th floor. Upon arrival you could hear what sounded like someone hammering for minutes on end, or someone taking a spoon and banging it on a metal pot and then it would stop. But only for a few minutes. I thought it was roof construction or something. It went on all day until I realized it was one of the elevators making that much noise to be heard inside a hotel room through the walls! That night, no other rooms were available but one in the basement. I should have taken that room as I could not get any sleep whatsoever from the elevator machinery. That morning I was told I would be moved promptly to another room away from the elevator as soon as one was cleaned. Four hours later, no maids were even working on the rooms on my floor anymore, one even offered to clean the room I was in, and no effort was made to move me after going to the desk twice. I was already late for a business appointment because I could not get any sleep. At one point, I was waiting for the elevators to go back up to the room and I heard the one doorman(?) say to the front desk manager, "Maybe I'll go sing him a lullaby to go to sleep." Outrageously rude behavior and the front desk clerk denied hearing the other worker say that. I know what I heard. I asked for the general manager and the desk clerk manager said, "I am taking care of this." At that point, I left after another day scheduled at the hotel. In nearly 40 years of traveling with family and for business, I have never been treated so blatantly rude.

Bottom line - do not stay here under any circumstances. I would have very serious concerns about the safety of one of the elevators. Don't believe me - go up to the 12th floor and listen to the clanging and banging you can hear in the hallway from the elevator shaft. That's what you will hear all night long in your room. Rudest front desk workers I have ever experienced in a hotel property. Wallpaper was peeling and discolored in the bathroom. Carpeting was dirty and worn in the room. There was a large roach/waterbug in the pool area. The dark and uninviting pool is open ridiculously short hours - and not even the hours posted in the room directory, they open/close earlier! The balcony photos on their website show a table and chair on the balcony - there were neither. The hook for the drapes had fallen off and someone just threw it on the floor. Nearly every employee I dealt with, even before mentioning the elevator issue, looked agitated and absolutely disgusted to work there. If you are alone at night, I would seriously ask for an escort from the parking lot to the front door. The lot is not lit properly, most of it borders on woods - except for the employee area which is lit by a flood light. See what type of consideration this hotel has for its guests?

This hotel can NOT possibly stand up to any sort of Hilton inspection. No fridges, no microwaves in the room? Come on. Even Econo Lodges have those in 2013. They charge $3.00 for a warm bottle of water in your room?!? More outrageousness. Even Holiday Inn gives its Priority Club members free bottles of water and a snack bag. Far below any Hilton standard, or even professional hotel quality. Absolutely the bottom of the barrel, and beyond unacceptable for the Hilton chain. This location is a disgrace to the Hilton name. They should reflag it as something else before it does serious damage to the Hilton brand.

Room Tip: None. The property is smelly, elevators unsafe, and staff are rude.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
hiltongaithersburgGM, General Manager at Hilton Washington DC North Gaithersburg, responded to this review, September 30, 2013
Hello JKF56- Thank you for choosing the Gaithersburg Hilton for your recent stay in the area and for taking the time to post a detailed account of your stay, I have read this in great detail as I am very concerned that you were so disappointed with your stay. I assure you that I will be addressing this with my management staff and with the specific line employees that you reference. I would like to address several of your comments, though:
1. Our elevators are safe and well maintained. We are under contract with an elevator installation and maintenance Company with a national to reputation. Our elevators are inspected at least once a week and all repairs or preventive maintenance procedures are performed as required.
2. All rooms on the floor you were located are designated as Hhonors floor rooms and as such all are supplied with complimentary bottles of water. In addition, with regard to the elevator noise concerns you mentioned, we had one long term stay guest in the same vicinity as you were and this person did not raise any complaints or concerns at all. As such, we did not think there would be a noise issue placing you in that room. I do understand that you were offered a room change by our most senior front desk associate who was trying to assist you, but you declined.
3. All guest rooms are cleaned every day during an eight hour shift beginning at 8 am.
4. The hotel does not have a basement. There are ground level rooms in the low rise wing of the building, but no part of any room is under ground.
5. Our parking lot has lights in all sectors and the lighting has been recently enhanced in the area of the lot bordered by trees. We trim the trees professionally to reduce any blockage to the light.
6. We do have Refrigerators and Microwaves in many, but not all, of our rooms. I am sorry if we did not offer you this alternative. Those rooms, however, are not on our 12th floor which are the rooms we normally use for our Hhonors guests. As most of those repeat guests are frequent travelers, traveling on business for one or 2 days, they do not require such items, but prefer to use our full service hotel offerings of restaurant, room service and lounge.
7. The hotel has consistently measured up to Hilton standards and has had very high scores, with exceptional scores for cleanliness, in the Quality Assurance Evaluations going back more than five years.

I hope this addresses some of your more serious concerns and that you will consider our hotel for your future stays in the area.

Gaithersburg, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2013

This is a great hotel, it has modern amenities and is in a good location. It is surrounded by many shops and we were told there was even a shuttle that takes you to any public place within 5 miles but we never used it. My only problem is the heating/cooling system which makes unreasonable noise when it switches on, it cycles so the noise is continuous everytime it switches on. Ample free parking which was great

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Hello eboateng2—Thank you for choosing the Gaithersburg Hilton for your recent stay and for taking the time to post your comments on TripAdvisor. We appreciate your comment and are pleased that you enjoyed your stay. I also appreciate your feedback on our heating/cooling system as we continually check these units during our preventive maintenance inspections and will ensure that we check for this issue in all of our rooms. We hope you choose us again for your next visit to the area.
Rockville, Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

I expected more from a Hilton property

Good:
- there is enough parking space
- the hotel is less than 2 miles from Lakeforest mall and there are many shopping stores, restaurants and banks nearby (which was very convenient since I spending the Labor Day weekend there)
- I liked the lobby that I found to be well decorated and airy
- I had a nice view of the area (9th floor)
- the bathroom was also nicely done and decorated
- the desk was spacious and it was comfortable working at it

Bad:
- the AC was too noisy, to the point that I had to turn it off anytime I was watching the news or a movie
- the closet doors did not close well (one side was not closing at all)
- the room had no small fridge, that could however be provided if requested. Why not just provide a fridge and let the guest decide if they want to use it or not? I think that nowadays, having a small fridge should not be considered as a "special request" anymore.

So why am I giving it 3 star? I expected more from a Hilton hotel in such a location.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
hiltongaithersburgGM, General Manager at Hilton Washington DC North Gaithersburg, responded to this review, October 7, 2013
Hello oesth--Thank you for choosing the Gaithersburg Hilton for your recent trip to the area and for posting information to trip Advisor that can help us improve. I appreciate your positive comments and will share them with my staff and sales people. We always like to know what our guests like so we can capitalize on them and use them as cumulative testimonials for our property. As for your “Bad” Comments, I will use them to direct our Engineering staff during our preventive maintenance procedures and will incorporate your request for an in room fridge in our improvement plan for the upcoming year. I do hear this more often and cannot disagree with you.
Thanks for sharing your feedback and we look forward to seeing you back soon.
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2013

My husband and I always book at this Hilton when we are in town and it's still pretty good. We arrived on Sunday of Labor Day weekend and were pretty happy to have a room at all since this is typically a busy weekend in DC. We had to pay more than usual but I feel as though they give you a better room when you pay a higher nightly rate. We were on the 10th floor away from the chaos of the Lobby which is always a good thing. The room didn't feel as fresh as last time but I'm not incredibly picky as long as the room doesn't feel gross and lived in. My only real complaint is the stupid shower. They must have a water conservation shower head because as soon as you click it on it feel like a heavy mist rather than a true shower. It took me twice as long to shower because of the lack of pressure. Perhaps they need to up the pressure just a little? Other than that we were pretty happy with our stay.

Room Tip: Look for rooms that are higher up. They tend to be in better repair.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Hello Onyka 13—Thank you for choosing the Gaithersburg Hilton for your Labor Day weekend trip and for taking the time to tell others of your experienced on TripAdvisor. I am very pleased to hear that you always choose our hotel for your visits to the area and appreciate your endorsement. I am sorry that you had trouble with the shower. We would have been pleased to correct this immediately. In the interim, however, we have checked the shower heads on all rooms on the 10th floor and assure you that they are all working properly. We understand how important a good strong shower is to most people, so this is something we always check during our routine maintenance inspections. Next time will be better. We look forward to having you back again in the near future.
Beautiful Bucks County, PA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

The staff was very friendly, the room was okay (there were white marks on the carpet from where the furniture used to be, it looked like it was moved about an inch), the closet doors were not convenient. There were cookies in the lobby at one time only during our 3 day stay. The Starbucks in the lobby was only open for a few hours each morning, with no signs indicating which hours it would be, and I could not find any other coffee in the hotel other than the coffee pots in the room, which had "pods" for either one or two cups. I used the machine once, followed the directions to make 2 cups, one had 1/3 less coffee than the other, and they both tasted absolutely awful. There weren't enough towels at the pool, although they did get more when requested.

Room Tip: King size bed junior suite better than 2 double bed room.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Hello 120491—Thank you for choosing the Gaithersburg Hilton for your recent stay and for taking the time to let us know how we did. I have read your observations very carefully and what I see as a common thread in most of what you observed is the lack of consistency in some of the services we offer. I will take this to heart and share it with my management team so that we can put in corrective action. Thanks for helping us to improve and we look forward to having you back again in the near future.
Best regards,
Yale Feldman

Been to Hilton Washington DC North Gaithersburg? Share your experiences!