“tour usa” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #8 of 15 hotels in Gaithersburg
Sentosa Island, Singapore
“tour usa”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

when I reach the hotel it look normal to me.it got a nice lobby.the door man just standing there never bother to help me carry the the luggage.the front desk is not friendly at all.no greeting from them.
location-never went out,no comment.
amenities-room lighting is dim not bright at all.wall paper peel off,dirty flooring.tv not much channel.swimming pool never use it.
cooling system need to replace sound noise.
food-it ok,so far so good.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
hiltongaithersburgGM, General Manager at Hilton Washington DC North Gaithersburg, responded to this review, October 25, 2013
Hello sadmagarita-Thank you for staying with us on your recent visit to the area and for letting us know of opinion on our facility and service, both good and bad. We are complimented by your good comments and will use your adverse findings to guide us in bettering our product. I have shared your findings with the managers in charge of those areas and they will work to improve our greetings, service and overall guest room conditions. I see that you come from far away from this area, but if your travels bring you back, I hope that you will once again choose us for your hotel needs.

318 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Pittsburgh, PA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2013

Very bad experience at this hotel, as a Hilton Hhonors member. Upon check in there was no friendly greeting, recognition of being a HH member or anything - I was asked for name and confirmed a king bed. I was given the wrong type of room, it was only a king not a king deluxe. I returned to the desk and was told "the only difference the king deluxe has is a balcony and a view." Uh, hello? Second room given was next to a hallway by the elevators on the 12th floor. Upon arrival you could hear what sounded like someone hammering for minutes on end, or someone taking a spoon and banging it on a metal pot and then it would stop. But only for a few minutes. I thought it was roof construction or something. It went on all day until I realized it was one of the elevators making that much noise to be heard inside a hotel room through the walls! That night, no other rooms were available but one in the basement. I should have taken that room as I could not get any sleep whatsoever from the elevator machinery. That morning I was told I would be moved promptly to another room away from the elevator as soon as one was cleaned. Four hours later, no maids were even working on the rooms on my floor anymore, one even offered to clean the room I was in, and no effort was made to move me after going to the desk twice. I was already late for a business appointment because I could not get any sleep. At one point, I was waiting for the elevators to go back up to the room and I heard the one doorman(?) say to the front desk manager, "Maybe I'll go sing him a lullaby to go to sleep." Outrageously rude behavior and the front desk clerk denied hearing the other worker say that. I know what I heard. I asked for the general manager and the desk clerk manager said, "I am taking care of this." At that point, I left after another day scheduled at the hotel. In nearly 40 years of traveling with family and for business, I have never been treated so blatantly rude.

Bottom line - do not stay here under any circumstances. I would have very serious concerns about the safety of one of the elevators. Don't believe me - go up to the 12th floor and listen to the clanging and banging you can hear in the hallway from the elevator shaft. That's what you will hear all night long in your room. Rudest front desk workers I have ever experienced in a hotel property. Wallpaper was peeling and discolored in the bathroom. Carpeting was dirty and worn in the room. There was a large roach/waterbug in the pool area. The dark and uninviting pool is open ridiculously short hours - and not even the hours posted in the room directory, they open/close earlier! The balcony photos on their website show a table and chair on the balcony - there were neither. The hook for the drapes had fallen off and someone just threw it on the floor. Nearly every employee I dealt with, even before mentioning the elevator issue, looked agitated and absolutely disgusted to work there. If you are alone at night, I would seriously ask for an escort from the parking lot to the front door. The lot is not lit properly, most of it borders on woods - except for the employee area which is lit by a flood light. See what type of consideration this hotel has for its guests?

This hotel can NOT possibly stand up to any sort of Hilton inspection. No fridges, no microwaves in the room? Come on. Even Econo Lodges have those in 2013. They charge $3.00 for a warm bottle of water in your room?!? More outrageousness. Even Holiday Inn gives its Priority Club members free bottles of water and a snack bag. Far below any Hilton standard, or even professional hotel quality. Absolutely the bottom of the barrel, and beyond unacceptable for the Hilton chain. This location is a disgrace to the Hilton name. They should reflag it as something else before it does serious damage to the Hilton brand.

Room Tip: None. The property is smelly, elevators unsafe, and staff are rude.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
hiltongaithersburgGM, General Manager at Hilton Washington DC North Gaithersburg, responded to this review, September 30, 2013
Hello JKF56- Thank you for choosing the Gaithersburg Hilton for your recent stay in the area and for taking the time to post a detailed account of your stay, I have read this in great detail as I am very concerned that you were so disappointed with your stay. I assure you that I will be addressing this with my management staff and with the specific line employees that you reference. I would like to address several of your comments, though:
1. Our elevators are safe and well maintained. We are under contract with an elevator installation and maintenance Company with a national to reputation. Our elevators are inspected at least once a week and all repairs or preventive maintenance procedures are performed as required.
2. All rooms on the floor you were located are designated as Hhonors floor rooms and as such all are supplied with complimentary bottles of water. In addition, with regard to the elevator noise concerns you mentioned, we had one long term stay guest in the same vicinity as you were and this person did not raise any complaints or concerns at all. As such, we did not think there would be a noise issue placing you in that room. I do understand that you were offered a room change by our most senior front desk associate who was trying to assist you, but you declined.
3. All guest rooms are cleaned every day during an eight hour shift beginning at 8 am.
4. The hotel does not have a basement. There are ground level rooms in the low rise wing of the building, but no part of any room is under ground.
5. Our parking lot has lights in all sectors and the lighting has been recently enhanced in the area of the lot bordered by trees. We trim the trees professionally to reduce any blockage to the light.
6. We do have Refrigerators and Microwaves in many, but not all, of our rooms. I am sorry if we did not offer you this alternative. Those rooms, however, are not on our 12th floor which are the rooms we normally use for our Hhonors guests. As most of those repeat guests are frequent travelers, traveling on business for one or 2 days, they do not require such items, but prefer to use our full service hotel offerings of restaurant, room service and lounge.
7. The hotel has consistently measured up to Hilton standards and has had very high scores, with exceptional scores for cleanliness, in the Quality Assurance Evaluations going back more than five years.

I hope this addresses some of your more serious concerns and that you will consider our hotel for your future stays in the area.

Gaithersburg, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2013

This is a great hotel, it has modern amenities and is in a good location. It is surrounded by many shops and we were told there was even a shuttle that takes you to any public place within 5 miles but we never used it. My only problem is the heating/cooling system which makes unreasonable noise when it switches on, it cycles so the noise is continuous everytime it switches on. Ample free parking which was great

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

hiltongaithersburgGM, General Manager at Hilton Washington DC North Gaithersburg, responded to this review, November 1, 2013
Hello eboateng2—Thank you for choosing the Gaithersburg Hilton for your recent stay and for taking the time to post your comments on TripAdvisor. We appreciate your comment and are pleased that you enjoyed your stay. I also appreciate your feedback on our heating/cooling system as we continually check these units during our preventive maintenance inspections and will ensure that we check for this issue in all of our rooms. We hope you choose us again for your next visit to the area.
Rockville, Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

I expected more from a Hilton property

Good:
- there is enough parking space
- the hotel is less than 2 miles from Lakeforest mall and there are many shopping stores, restaurants and banks nearby (which was very convenient since I spending the Labor Day weekend there)
- I liked the lobby that I found to be well decorated and airy
- I had a nice view of the area (9th floor)
- the bathroom was also nicely done and decorated
- the desk was spacious and it was comfortable working at it

Bad:
- the AC was too noisy, to the point that I had to turn it off anytime I was watching the news or a movie
- the closet doors did not close well (one side was not closing at all)
- the room had no small fridge, that could however be provided if requested. Why not just provide a fridge and let the guest decide if they want to use it or not? I think that nowadays, having a small fridge should not be considered as a "special request" anymore.

So why am I giving it 3 star? I expected more from a Hilton hotel in such a location.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
hiltongaithersburgGM, General Manager at Hilton Washington DC North Gaithersburg, responded to this review, October 7, 2013
Hello oesth--Thank you for choosing the Gaithersburg Hilton for your recent trip to the area and for posting information to trip Advisor that can help us improve. I appreciate your positive comments and will share them with my staff and sales people. We always like to know what our guests like so we can capitalize on them and use them as cumulative testimonials for our property. As for your “Bad” Comments, I will use them to direct our Engineering staff during our preventive maintenance procedures and will incorporate your request for an in room fridge in our improvement plan for the upcoming year. I do hear this more often and cannot disagree with you.
Thanks for sharing your feedback and we look forward to seeing you back soon.
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2013

My husband and I always book at this Hilton when we are in town and it's still pretty good. We arrived on Sunday of Labor Day weekend and were pretty happy to have a room at all since this is typically a busy weekend in DC. We had to pay more than usual but I feel as though they give you a better room when you pay a higher nightly rate. We were on the 10th floor away from the chaos of the Lobby which is always a good thing. The room didn't feel as fresh as last time but I'm not incredibly picky as long as the room doesn't feel gross and lived in. My only real complaint is the stupid shower. They must have a water conservation shower head because as soon as you click it on it feel like a heavy mist rather than a true shower. It took me twice as long to shower because of the lack of pressure. Perhaps they need to up the pressure just a little? Other than that we were pretty happy with our stay.

Room Tip: Look for rooms that are higher up. They tend to be in better repair.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Hello Onyka 13—Thank you for choosing the Gaithersburg Hilton for your Labor Day weekend trip and for taking the time to tell others of your experienced on TripAdvisor. I am very pleased to hear that you always choose our hotel for your visits to the area and appreciate your endorsement. I am sorry that you had trouble with the shower. We would have been pleased to correct this immediately. In the interim, however, we have checked the shower heads on all rooms on the 10th floor and assure you that they are all working properly. We understand how important a good strong shower is to most people, so this is something we always check during our routine maintenance inspections. Next time will be better. We look forward to having you back again in the near future.
Beautiful Bucks County, PA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

The staff was very friendly, the room was okay (there were white marks on the carpet from where the furniture used to be, it looked like it was moved about an inch), the closet doors were not convenient. There were cookies in the lobby at one time only during our 3 day stay. The Starbucks in the lobby was only open for a few hours each morning, with no signs indicating which hours it would be, and I could not find any other coffee in the hotel other than the coffee pots in the room, which had "pods" for either one or two cups. I used the machine once, followed the directions to make 2 cups, one had 1/3 less coffee than the other, and they both tasted absolutely awful. There weren't enough towels at the pool, although they did get more when requested.

Room Tip: King size bed junior suite better than 2 double bed room.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Hello 120491—Thank you for choosing the Gaithersburg Hilton for your recent stay and for taking the time to let us know how we did. I have read your observations very carefully and what I see as a common thread in most of what you observed is the lack of consistency in some of the services we offer. I will take this to heart and share it with my management team so that we can put in corrective action. Thanks for helping us to improve and we look forward to having you back again in the near future.
Best regards,
New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

I'll begin with the few positives that there are;
Plenty of free parking, the AC in my room worked well, no problems with check-in or check-out
and the lobby is nice and efficient enough with computers stations with free internet.

The cons will take up the rest of the review;
Had a king bed with a sofa sleeper. four people in my party. There was no sheet on the sofa (I've noticed a similar review from May) just a blanket. At 10:45 PM, my adult daughter went down to the front desk to request another blanket be brought up to the room. The man at the front desk wrote it down and said he would pass it on to housekeeping right away. After 25 minutes of waiting, my daughter called from the room with the same request as was told the same thing. After another 15 minutes I called the front desk myself and wanted to know what was going on with the blanket. I was told that "housekeeping" went to the wrong room. Sooooo. Send them to the right room. Again I was told they would be there right away to which I replied that I would wait 5 minutes and then I was calling again. I waited another 10 minutes and called again. Now it is past 11:30. We were all ready to go to bed an hour earlier. On the fourth request, a female answered the phone very friendly. I guessed that she had just come on duty and I was correct. My FOURTH for a request for a blanket was not made calmly and the girl apologized and said she would bring it up herself which she did. I laid into her when she arrived telling her that I did not appreciate being ignored when I make a simple request to the front desk. It was either the front desk's fault or housekeeping's fault but the bottom line is I waited an hour to get a damn blanket. The girl was very nice and offered me four free buffet breakfasts for my trouble which I accepted but the damage had been done.
Also, there was ONE (three altogether) extra pillow and ONE (three altogether) extra towel for four people. The people at the front desk said they usually make the bed and expect two or three people to be in the room. This is a poor response because I had a reservation for four people for quite a while.
The room had no mini-fridge and no microwave which is something I am accustomed to in other hotels. There was no exhaust fan in the bathroom.
The pool is open only UNTIL 10 in the morning and then again from 4-10 at night. The indoor and OUTDOOR pool is closed from 10 in the morning until 4 in the afternoon. I think that's strange for a weekend.
The elevators are slow and the hallways are warm.
Since there was no fridge, I happened to have a cooler. I went to get ice and (OF COURSE) the ice machine didn't work. I had to go to another floor every time I wanted ice.
Breakfast is way too expensive (17.00/person) for what they give you (a regular buffet with one person cooking specialty eggs). You could order from the menu but that was even more expensive. I was part of a brunch on Sunday for about 40-50 people. The bacon at the buffet looked exactly like that bacon you would have as dog food strips. It wasn't cooked and it was hard like shoe leather. They said that it was "turkey bacon" but I've had that before and it didn't look like that. Plus, how do you serve that to fifty people and expect them to eat it? Eventually they brought out regular cooked bacon.
A relative of mine didn't take the deal that was blocked off for people in our group and found a better deal on-line for three nights instead of two. The hotel didn't honor his on-line deal and the front desk girl said that the manager was off for the weekend. There's no manager there on the weekend to solve problems???
They have a little cafe there that serves Starbuck's coffee and pastries in the morning and they had some candy there as well. But they were only open for a few hours (in the morning) per day. When you came back to the hotel in the afternoon or at night, there was no place to buy a soft drink or a snack. Why bother having a place like that in the lobby if it's closed most of the time?
Overall, I expected more from a Hilton but I won't be going back to this place.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Hello tffd01---Thank you for choosing the Gaithersburg Hilton for your recant hotel needs in the Gaithersburg area and for taking the time to post such and extensive review of your experiences. I appreciate the positive comments that you made and am especially pleased with your comment on the computer stations in the lobby. This is a very recent addition and we are very interested in guest feedback.
Just as importantly, I have read your concerns in detail and will be addressing them with my management staff. I am most concerned with the lack of a timely response to your housekeeping needs. In order to ensure the condition and sanitation of the sofa, we normally do not make them up in advance until we are sure the guest is in the room, unless arrangements are made in advance. We do prioritize this service, however, so I am sorry that it did not get taken care of in a more expeditious manner. With regard to the rest of your concerns, you have explained them very well and we sill be addressing corrections in all areas.
I hope you again choose our hotel for your next stay in the area and that you will see that we have reacted to your concerns. Thank you again for your input.
Best Regards,
Yale Feldman

Been to Hilton Washington DC North Gaithersburg? Share your experiences!