“Great Hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #8 of 15 Hotels in Gaithersburg
Gaithersburg, Maryland
“Great Hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2013

This is a great hotel, it has modern amenities and is in a good location. It is surrounded by many shops and we were told there was even a shuttle that takes you to any public place within 5 miles but we never used it. My only problem is the heating/cooling system which makes unreasonable noise when it switches on, it cycles so the noise is continuous everytime it switches on. Ample free parking which was great

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

hiltongaithersburgGM, General Manager at Hilton Washington DC North Gaithersburg, responded to this review, November 1, 2013
Hello eboateng2—Thank you for choosing the Gaithersburg Hilton for your recent stay and for taking the time to post your comments on TripAdvisor. We appreciate your comment and are pleased that you enjoyed your stay. I also appreciate your feedback on our heating/cooling system as we continually check these units during our preventive maintenance inspections and will ensure that we check for this issue in all of our rooms. We hope you choose us again for your next visit to the area.
Yale Feldman

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Rockville, Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

I expected more from a Hilton property

Good:
- there is enough parking space
- the hotel is less than 2 miles from Lakeforest mall and there are many shopping stores, restaurants and banks nearby (which was very convenient since I spending the Labor Day weekend there)
- I liked the lobby that I found to be well decorated and airy
- I had a nice view of the area (9th floor)
- the bathroom was also nicely done and decorated
- the desk was spacious and it was comfortable working at it

Bad:
- the AC was too noisy, to the point that I had to turn it off anytime I was watching the news or a movie
- the closet doors did not close well (one side was not closing at all)
- the room had no small fridge, that could however be provided if requested. Why not just provide a fridge and let the guest decide if they want to use it or not? I think that nowadays, having a small fridge should not be considered as a "special request" anymore.

So why am I giving it 3 star? I expected more from a Hilton hotel in such a location.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
hiltongaithersburgGM, General Manager at Hilton Washington DC North Gaithersburg, responded to this review, October 7, 2013
Hello oesth--Thank you for choosing the Gaithersburg Hilton for your recent trip to the area and for posting information to trip Advisor that can help us improve. I appreciate your positive comments and will share them with my staff and sales people. We always like to know what our guests like so we can capitalize on them and use them as cumulative testimonials for our property. As for your “Bad” Comments, I will use them to direct our Engineering staff during our preventive maintenance procedures and will incorporate your request for an in room fridge in our improvement plan for the upcoming year. I do hear this more often and cannot disagree with you.
Thanks for sharing your feedback and we look forward to seeing you back soon.
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2013

My husband and I always book at this Hilton when we are in town and it's still pretty good. We arrived on Sunday of Labor Day weekend and were pretty happy to have a room at all since this is typically a busy weekend in DC. We had to pay more than usual but I feel as though they give you a better room when you pay a higher nightly rate. We were on the 10th floor away from the chaos of the Lobby which is always a good thing. The room didn't feel as fresh as last time but I'm not incredibly picky as long as the room doesn't feel gross and lived in. My only real complaint is the stupid shower. They must have a water conservation shower head because as soon as you click it on it feel like a heavy mist rather than a true shower. It took me twice as long to shower because of the lack of pressure. Perhaps they need to up the pressure just a little? Other than that we were pretty happy with our stay.

Room Tip: Look for rooms that are higher up. They tend to be in better repair.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Hello Onyka 13—Thank you for choosing the Gaithersburg Hilton for your Labor Day weekend trip and for taking the time to tell others of your experienced on TripAdvisor. I am very pleased to hear that you always choose our hotel for your visits to the area and appreciate your endorsement. I am sorry that you had trouble with the shower. We would have been pleased to correct this immediately. In the interim, however, we have checked the shower heads on all rooms on the 10th floor and assure you that they are all working properly. We understand how important a good strong shower is to most people, so this is something we always check during our routine maintenance inspections. Next time will be better. We look forward to having you back again in the near future.
Beautiful Bucks County, PA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

The staff was very friendly, the room was okay (there were white marks on the carpet from where the furniture used to be, it looked like it was moved about an inch), the closet doors were not convenient. There were cookies in the lobby at one time only during our 3 day stay. The Starbucks in the lobby was only open for a few hours each morning, with no signs indicating which hours it would be, and I could not find any other coffee in the hotel other than the coffee pots in the room, which had "pods" for either one or two cups. I used the machine once, followed the directions to make 2 cups, one had 1/3 less coffee than the other, and they both tasted absolutely awful. There weren't enough towels at the pool, although they did get more when requested.

Room Tip: King size bed junior suite better than 2 double bed room.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
hiltongaithersburgGM, General Manager at Hilton Washington DC North Gaithersburg, responded to this review, September 30, 2013
Hello 120491—Thank you for choosing the Gaithersburg Hilton for your recent stay and for taking the time to let us know how we did. I have read your observations very carefully and what I see as a common thread in most of what you observed is the lack of consistency in some of the services we offer. I will take this to heart and share it with my management team so that we can put in corrective action. Thanks for helping us to improve and we look forward to having you back again in the near future.
Best regards,
New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

I'll begin with the few positives that there are;
Plenty of free parking, the AC in my room worked well, no problems with check-in or check-out
and the lobby is nice and efficient enough with computers stations with free internet.

The cons will take up the rest of the review;
Had a king bed with a sofa sleeper. four people in my party. There was no sheet on the sofa (I've noticed a similar review from May) just a blanket. At 10:45 PM, my adult daughter went down to the front desk to request another blanket be brought up to the room. The man at the front desk wrote it down and said he would pass it on to housekeeping right away. After 25 minutes of waiting, my daughter called from the room with the same request as was told the same thing. After another 15 minutes I called the front desk myself and wanted to know what was going on with the blanket. I was told that "housekeeping" went to the wrong room. Sooooo. Send them to the right room. Again I was told they would be there right away to which I replied that I would wait 5 minutes and then I was calling again. I waited another 10 minutes and called again. Now it is past 11:30. We were all ready to go to bed an hour earlier. On the fourth request, a female answered the phone very friendly. I guessed that she had just come on duty and I was correct. My FOURTH for a request for a blanket was not made calmly and the girl apologized and said she would bring it up herself which she did. I laid into her when she arrived telling her that I did not appreciate being ignored when I make a simple request to the front desk. It was either the front desk's fault or housekeeping's fault but the bottom line is I waited an hour to get a damn blanket. The girl was very nice and offered me four free buffet breakfasts for my trouble which I accepted but the damage had been done.
Also, there was ONE (three altogether) extra pillow and ONE (three altogether) extra towel for four people. The people at the front desk said they usually make the bed and expect two or three people to be in the room. This is a poor response because I had a reservation for four people for quite a while.
The room had no mini-fridge and no microwave which is something I am accustomed to in other hotels. There was no exhaust fan in the bathroom.
The pool is open only UNTIL 10 in the morning and then again from 4-10 at night. The indoor and OUTDOOR pool is closed from 10 in the morning until 4 in the afternoon. I think that's strange for a weekend.
The elevators are slow and the hallways are warm.
Since there was no fridge, I happened to have a cooler. I went to get ice and (OF COURSE) the ice machine didn't work. I had to go to another floor every time I wanted ice.
Breakfast is way too expensive (17.00/person) for what they give you (a regular buffet with one person cooking specialty eggs). You could order from the menu but that was even more expensive. I was part of a brunch on Sunday for about 40-50 people. The bacon at the buffet looked exactly like that bacon you would have as dog food strips. It wasn't cooked and it was hard like shoe leather. They said that it was "turkey bacon" but I've had that before and it didn't look like that. Plus, how do you serve that to fifty people and expect them to eat it? Eventually they brought out regular cooked bacon.
A relative of mine didn't take the deal that was blocked off for people in our group and found a better deal on-line for three nights instead of two. The hotel didn't honor his on-line deal and the front desk girl said that the manager was off for the weekend. There's no manager there on the weekend to solve problems???
They have a little cafe there that serves Starbuck's coffee and pastries in the morning and they had some candy there as well. But they were only open for a few hours (in the morning) per day. When you came back to the hotel in the afternoon or at night, there was no place to buy a soft drink or a snack. Why bother having a place like that in the lobby if it's closed most of the time?
Overall, I expected more from a Hilton but I won't be going back to this place.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Hello tffd01---Thank you for choosing the Gaithersburg Hilton for your recant hotel needs in the Gaithersburg area and for taking the time to post such and extensive review of your experiences. I appreciate the positive comments that you made and am especially pleased with your comment on the computer stations in the lobby. This is a very recent addition and we are very interested in guest feedback.
Just as importantly, I have read your concerns in detail and will be addressing them with my management staff. I am most concerned with the lack of a timely response to your housekeeping needs. In order to ensure the condition and sanitation of the sofa, we normally do not make them up in advance until we are sure the guest is in the room, unless arrangements are made in advance. We do prioritize this service, however, so I am sorry that it did not get taken care of in a more expeditious manner. With regard to the rest of your concerns, you have explained them very well and we sill be addressing corrections in all areas.
I hope you again choose our hotel for your next stay in the area and that you will see that we have reacted to your concerns. Thank you again for your input.
Best Regards,
Cologne, Germany
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

It's a Hilton hotel, so the standard of the hotel is good. For me the breakfast was the best bit. My room was good, but I could hear everything going on in the room next door. That was inconvenient for me in the evening and I bet it was a nuisance for my neighbour in the morning when I took my first conference call at 4am. The one thing that was a problem was that the air con wasn't working in the gym. I called reception, they wanted to send somebody, the person came after 30 minutes and told me everything was fine. After a long conversation the guy brought a fan and said the air con would get fixed. Well to cut the story short I stayed a week and the air con in the gym was never fixed. I didn't expect that to happen at a Hilton.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Hello aroundtheworld57—Thank you for taking the time to post a review on TripAdvisor about your recent stay at the Gaithersburg Hilton Hotel. I appreciate your positive comments and will share them with our management staff. I am sorry that the air conditioning in the fitness center was not working properly during your stay, but I assure you that the problem has been corrected by now. I hope you will give us another opportunity to service your hotel needs in the near future.
Best regards,
Scarsdale, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013

I think it's fine. The rooms are clean and the housekeeping service, once you get past the language issue, is fine. Like most hotels though, the TV service is pretty thin. But I suppose when you compare it to home service where there a about a bazillion channels of very little or nothing to watch to what you get at the hotel where there are very few channels of nothing to watch then I suppose it's not so bad. The wireless internet service is more than adequate for the usual work activities that business travelers need to get done. However, if you want to stream video, the bandwidth is just not there.

I spend between 20 and 30 weeks per year in hotels and have become a Hilton bigot. I've been in some pretty glitzy, ritzy Hiltons and this isn't one of them. But, if what you are looking for is a clean, comfortable, and relatively spacious room for a reasonable rate, then this is a good choice.

I give very high marks to the property's general manager, Yale Friedman, and to his entire front desk staff - they are extremely accommodating - I'll be here a lot over the next few weeks (late summer and autumn 2013) and I have been able to make certain arrangements for my convenience with them. The lobby bar also gets high marks, especially for its large menu of single malt Scotch's. The restaurant is only OK and, like most hotel restaurants, it's not inexpensive.

Overall, this is a good landing spot for the business traveler.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
hiltongaithersburgGM, General Manager at Hilton Washington DC North Gaithersburg, responded to this review, October 25, 2013
Hello Mark B—It was good to read your review of our hotel on Trip Advisor and I appreciate your candid comments. Since I have been fortunate enough to meet you and spend time with you on several occasions during your trips here, I feel as though we have already discussed most of these items. I have shared them with our staff and we will continue to try to improve on the things that need improvement and to continue to do well in the areas you have complimented us. I appreciate your comments about me personally, but as you so aptly described, the contributions of our staff are the most important aspect of providing you with an enjoyable stay. It has been our pleasure to serve you and we look forward to your upcoming visits.
Yale Feldman

Been to Hilton Washington DC North Gaithersburg? Share your experiences!