“Ok Hilton, not the best.” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save Up To 20%
Ranked #8 of 15 hotels in Gaithersburg
Beautiful Bucks County, PA
“Ok Hilton, not the best.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

The staff was very friendly, the room was okay (there were white marks on the carpet from where the furniture used to be, it looked like it was moved about an inch), the closet doors were not convenient. There were cookies in the lobby at one time only during our 3 day stay. The Starbucks in the lobby was only open for a few hours each morning, with no signs indicating which hours it would be, and I could not find any other coffee in the hotel other than the coffee pots in the room, which had "pods" for either one or two cups. I used the machine once, followed the directions to make 2 cups, one had 1/3 less coffee than the other, and they both tasted absolutely awful. There weren't enough towels at the pool, although they did get more when requested.

Room Tip: King size bed junior suite better than 2 double bed room.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
hiltongaithersburgGM, General Manager at Hilton Washington DC North Gaithersburg, responded to this review, September 30, 2013
Hello 120491—Thank you for choosing the Gaithersburg Hilton for your recent stay and for taking the time to let us know how we did. I have read your observations very carefully and what I see as a common thread in most of what you observed is the lack of consistency in some of the services we offer. I will take this to heart and share it with my management team so that we can put in corrective action. Thanks for helping us to improve and we look forward to having you back again in the near future.
Best regards,

303 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

I'll begin with the few positives that there are;
Plenty of free parking, the AC in my room worked well, no problems with check-in or check-out
and the lobby is nice and efficient enough with computers stations with free internet.

The cons will take up the rest of the review;
Had a king bed with a sofa sleeper. four people in my party. There was no sheet on the sofa (I've noticed a similar review from May) just a blanket. At 10:45 PM, my adult daughter went down to the front desk to request another blanket be brought up to the room. The man at the front desk wrote it down and said he would pass it on to housekeeping right away. After 25 minutes of waiting, my daughter called from the room with the same request as was told the same thing. After another 15 minutes I called the front desk myself and wanted to know what was going on with the blanket. I was told that "housekeeping" went to the wrong room. Sooooo. Send them to the right room. Again I was told they would be there right away to which I replied that I would wait 5 minutes and then I was calling again. I waited another 10 minutes and called again. Now it is past 11:30. We were all ready to go to bed an hour earlier. On the fourth request, a female answered the phone very friendly. I guessed that she had just come on duty and I was correct. My FOURTH for a request for a blanket was not made calmly and the girl apologized and said she would bring it up herself which she did. I laid into her when she arrived telling her that I did not appreciate being ignored when I make a simple request to the front desk. It was either the front desk's fault or housekeeping's fault but the bottom line is I waited an hour to get a damn blanket. The girl was very nice and offered me four free buffet breakfasts for my trouble which I accepted but the damage had been done.
Also, there was ONE (three altogether) extra pillow and ONE (three altogether) extra towel for four people. The people at the front desk said they usually make the bed and expect two or three people to be in the room. This is a poor response because I had a reservation for four people for quite a while.
The room had no mini-fridge and no microwave which is something I am accustomed to in other hotels. There was no exhaust fan in the bathroom.
The pool is open only UNTIL 10 in the morning and then again from 4-10 at night. The indoor and OUTDOOR pool is closed from 10 in the morning until 4 in the afternoon. I think that's strange for a weekend.
The elevators are slow and the hallways are warm.
Since there was no fridge, I happened to have a cooler. I went to get ice and (OF COURSE) the ice machine didn't work. I had to go to another floor every time I wanted ice.
Breakfast is way too expensive (17.00/person) for what they give you (a regular buffet with one person cooking specialty eggs). You could order from the menu but that was even more expensive. I was part of a brunch on Sunday for about 40-50 people. The bacon at the buffet looked exactly like that bacon you would have as dog food strips. It wasn't cooked and it was hard like shoe leather. They said that it was "turkey bacon" but I've had that before and it didn't look like that. Plus, how do you serve that to fifty people and expect them to eat it? Eventually they brought out regular cooked bacon.
A relative of mine didn't take the deal that was blocked off for people in our group and found a better deal on-line for three nights instead of two. The hotel didn't honor his on-line deal and the front desk girl said that the manager was off for the weekend. There's no manager there on the weekend to solve problems???
They have a little cafe there that serves Starbuck's coffee and pastries in the morning and they had some candy there as well. But they were only open for a few hours (in the morning) per day. When you came back to the hotel in the afternoon or at night, there was no place to buy a soft drink or a snack. Why bother having a place like that in the lobby if it's closed most of the time?
Overall, I expected more from a Hilton but I won't be going back to this place.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Hello tffd01---Thank you for choosing the Gaithersburg Hilton for your recant hotel needs in the Gaithersburg area and for taking the time to post such and extensive review of your experiences. I appreciate the positive comments that you made and am especially pleased with your comment on the computer stations in the lobby. This is a very recent addition and we are very interested in guest feedback.
Just as importantly, I have read your concerns in detail and will be addressing them with my management staff. I am most concerned with the lack of a timely response to your housekeeping needs. In order to ensure the condition and sanitation of the sofa, we normally do not make them up in advance until we are sure the guest is in the room, unless arrangements are made in advance. We do prioritize this service, however, so I am sorry that it did not get taken care of in a more expeditious manner. With regard to the rest of your concerns, you have explained them very well and we sill be addressing corrections in all areas.
I hope you again choose our hotel for your next stay in the area and that you will see that we have reacted to your concerns. Thank you again for your input.
Best Regards,
Cologne, Germany
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

It's a Hilton hotel, so the standard of the hotel is good. For me the breakfast was the best bit. My room was good, but I could hear everything going on in the room next door. That was inconvenient for me in the evening and I bet it was a nuisance for my neighbour in the morning when I took my first conference call at 4am. The one thing that was a problem was that the air con wasn't working in the gym. I called reception, they wanted to send somebody, the person came after 30 minutes and told me everything was fine. After a long conversation the guy brought a fan and said the air con would get fixed. Well to cut the story short I stayed a week and the air con in the gym was never fixed. I didn't expect that to happen at a Hilton.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Hello aroundtheworld57—Thank you for taking the time to post a review on TripAdvisor about your recent stay at the Gaithersburg Hilton Hotel. I appreciate your positive comments and will share them with our management staff. I am sorry that the air conditioning in the fitness center was not working properly during your stay, but I assure you that the problem has been corrected by now. I hope you will give us another opportunity to service your hotel needs in the near future.
Best regards,
Scarsdale, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013

I think it's fine. The rooms are clean and the housekeeping service, once you get past the language issue, is fine. Like most hotels though, the TV service is pretty thin. But I suppose when you compare it to home service where there a about a bazillion channels of very little or nothing to watch to what you get at the hotel where there are very few channels of nothing to watch then I suppose it's not so bad. The wireless internet service is more than adequate for the usual work activities that business travelers need to get done. However, if you want to stream video, the bandwidth is just not there.

I spend between 20 and 30 weeks per year in hotels and have become a Hilton bigot. I've been in some pretty glitzy, ritzy Hiltons and this isn't one of them. But, if what you are looking for is a clean, comfortable, and relatively spacious room for a reasonable rate, then this is a good choice.

I give very high marks to the property's general manager, Yale Friedman, and to his entire front desk staff - they are extremely accommodating - I'll be here a lot over the next few weeks (late summer and autumn 2013) and I have been able to make certain arrangements for my convenience with them. The lobby bar also gets high marks, especially for its large menu of single malt Scotch's. The restaurant is only OK and, like most hotel restaurants, it's not inexpensive.

Overall, this is a good landing spot for the business traveler.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
hiltongaithersburgGM, General Manager at Hilton Washington DC North Gaithersburg, responded to this review, October 25, 2013
Hello Mark B—It was good to read your review of our hotel on Trip Advisor and I appreciate your candid comments. Since I have been fortunate enough to meet you and spend time with you on several occasions during your trips here, I feel as though we have already discussed most of these items. I have shared them with our staff and we will continue to try to improve on the things that need improvement and to continue to do well in the areas you have complimented us. I appreciate your comments about me personally, but as you so aptly described, the contributions of our staff are the most important aspect of providing you with an enjoyable stay. It has been our pleasure to serve you and we look forward to your upcoming visits.
Chicago, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2013

I stayed here for a conference at this hotel. It was a good experience. Internet in rooms and on the first floor was a little slow even for checking email, but tolerable. No other complaints: quiet, clean, etc.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Hello Liam P—Thank you for staying with us at the Gaithersburg Hilton for your recent conference. We were pleased to be your host for the meeting as well as for your guest room needs. I appreciate your positive comments, and based on your comments on internet speed, we are in the process of increasing our bandwidth and thus our capacity and speed. It will take a little time, though for the installation, but we are in line and hope to have the upgrade completed before the end of the year. Your comments were a great help to us in moving this decision forward.
We hope to see you again soon.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013 via mobile

This hotel will frequently have last minute deals of well less than $100 on a weekend night. At that price, it's a good deal for the money as there are good side perks like free wireless Internet and a nice fitness center/pool. For more than a hundred a night, though, I'd probably look one of the newer hotels in Rockville or Gaithersburg. We happened to be staying when there was the Montgomery County fair, so it was nice to just walk over and not worry about parking. Good Szechuan restaurant and a Panera within a 5 minute walk as well.

• Stayed August 2013
hiltongaithersburgGM, General Manager at Hilton Washington DC North Gaithersburg, responded to this review, November 1, 2013
Hello richiu 1972—Thank you for taking the time to post your comments about your stay at the Gaithersburg Hilton. I appreciate what you have said and that your comments will be used by others reading them to make their choice in hotels. I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay and hope you choose us again for your next visit to the area.
Morgantown, West Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

The entire staff was excellent. Traveling with 2 small children (ages 2 and 4) can be difficult but every time we went through the lobby, staff members were engaging the kids and welcoming us back to the hotel, asking how our day was, offering assistance, etc. Felt like visiting family. A+ overall!!

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Hello GoEERS_12—Thanks for the great comments you made about your August stay at our hotel. We all remember you and your family very well and it was a pleasure serving all of you (especially your cute kids). I am pleased that we took good care of you and we look forward to seeing you again on your next visit.
Yale Feldman

Been to Hilton Washington DC North Gaithersburg? Share your experiences!