“very welcoming hotel” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #8 of 15 Hotels in Gaithersburg
Washington, D.C.
“very welcoming hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2008

I've stayed here before and as usual the desk staff was welcoming and efficient, the other employees always doing their jobs very well and were always pleasant. Everything was clean. I was especially surprised at how good the restaurant food was--some of the best fries I ever had. The prices were a bit high as one would expect in a hotel restaurant but the quality was much better than one would expect . They have some good chefs, though I think the lighting needs to be better in the area as I could hardly read the menu. Otherwise, no complaints.

Stayed April 2008

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
West Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2008

Good location, nice facility, good food and GREAT people.

• Liked — Staff
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
St. Louis
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2008

My husband attended a class for work in Gaithersburg. I had never been to the Washington DC area so I went with him. While the room was a typical hotel room, the staff was excellent. We had trouble connecting to the Internet and they sent some one up immediately to help us. Another time I found water dripping from the vent in the bathroom above the tub, again someone came immediately. I had forgotten to remove the "do not disturb" sign off the door and they didn't knock, they radioed to the front desk who called me to let them in. It was nice knowing that they honor the sign even though I had called them.

The hotel has a complimentary laundry which I used a few times. Every time I happened to meet a staff person, no matter what their position was, they always spoke and inquired how my stay was going. Everyone was very friendly and quick to take care of you.

They also offer a shuttle to the metro station and will come pick you up when you return. They gave me a card with the number so I could call and a metro map so I could figure out where I needed to go.

I would definitely stay there again if I am in the area.

• Liked — The Friendly Staff.
  • Disliked — No refrigerator in room.
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled on business
St. Louis, MO
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2008

My husband and I stayed at this hotel March 20-24, 2008 while visiting our son in nearby Montgomery Village. Everything about our stay was very pleasant. There were jelly beans in the lobby each day (Easter weekend), small pasties were set out one night, and we had a chocolate bar and a nice welcoming letter on our bed upon arrival. The room was spacious and clean, the bed was comfortable and the wireless internet worked flawlessly. The only reason I did not give this hotel an excellent mark is that the bathroom is quite small, especially when there are two people staying in the room. I am a fairly light sleeper, and I found the room to be very quiet. We did not eat any meals there, so I can't comment on the food, but we used the pool area and the fitness room, and they are nice amenities to the hotel. There is plenty of shopping nearby, as well as places to eat. I would definitely stay here again next time we go out to visit.

• Liked — Spaciousness of room
  • Disliked — Bathroom size
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2008

We stayed at the Hilton Gaithersburg for three nights while my husband was on business in the area. We were very happy with the hotel overall. It was quiet, clean and comfortable and the rooms were spacious and well equipped. All the food we had in the hotel - breakfast, dinner and room service - was delicious.

The hotel is quite some way from downtown DC but the hotel operate a free shuttle bus to Shady Grove which only takes 5 minutes or so. This makes it very easy to get in and out of the city.

What sets this hotel apart from the standard business hotel is the staff. Without exception they were friendly and helpful and really couldn't do enough for us. I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again if we were in the area.

• Liked — Rooms, staff, food, value for money
  • Disliked — Location - but well compensated by shuttle bus
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled on business
los angeles
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2007

Had to go to Gaithersburg, Md. for a business trip. Because of the way DC highways are connected, I had to drive through the Beltway to get from Dulles to Gaithersburg. For this reason, I figured I'd better stay in Gaithersburg than risk a trip to my destination during morning rush hour. The Hilton in Gaithersburg is a bit tricky to find because there are several entrances off Perry Parkway that lead to parking lots that are not connected to the Hilton's. Checking in at night took 15 to 20 minutes since there was only one woman working the desk. She was polite, but kind of busy. The room itself was comfortable, neat and quiet. Connecting to the internet was a bit of a pain -- the wireless internet wasn't working and the ethernet cord they put on the desk had a broken tab. I called downstairs for internet assistance and it took about 15 minutes -- not bad for a hotel. I was eventually able to put the ethernet cable into my computer even though the tab was broken. I was worried I wouldn't be able to get it out, but it was OK. There's a mall near the Hilton, but it is only OK as far as malls go. All in all, I had a pleasant stay, but it wasn't anything special.

Stayed December 2007
New York NY
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2007

What a disappointment. We visit bunches of very close friends in Bethesda/Rockville at least four times/year and stay in DC on business as often, always in Hilton Family hotels. The Doubletree Rockville right by the Metro has served as our "second home" for years, but it's under renovation to become a Hilton. So we decided to try the Gaithersburg Hilton from amongst many Hilton Family options, mostly because of its large indoor swimming pool. (I make all my lodging choices based on the pool.)

When we arrived late Friday night, police cars were herding several cars and groups of high school kids in the parking lot, since there was at least one prom going on in the hotel. Teens were bouncing around the lobby furniture as we checked in. A few were stretched out, sleeping. Although we had requested a deluxe room with a balcony, we were given an ordinary king room which looked out over the empty and treeless Montgomery County Fairgrounds adjacent to a shopping mall. We were too tired to ask for more.

This is a boring hotel in the middle of tasteless suburban sprawl. A number of fast food places offer quick breakfast, and since we're used to the I-270 traffic, we were back south in Bethesda in less than 20 minutes. All day, we looked forward to that swim in the large pool. When we returned to the hotel for some exercise before going back out to dinner in Rockville, the pool water was bone-chilling. The heating system was broken, and they had no information on when it would be fixed. Of course, they did not tell us this when we signed in at the pool, took our towels and jumped in. The "gym" was minuscule.

The bathroom light was so dim I couldn't see to put on my make-up. We were the only two at the bar at 10:30 p.m. on Saturday night, so we were keeping the bartender up. The Sunday morning breakfast buffet was pleasant, as at most Marriotts and Hiltons of this ilk, and actually reasonably priced. People at the front desk were pleasant and attentive at all times.

The only reasons for anyone to stay here would be to visit someone in the immediate area or to attend a mandatory meeting. Even large groups (high school bands, seniors, whatever) touring the DC area would be better served staying in Alexandria or Arlington than in this sad and isolated location.

• Liked — We did not get bed bugs.
  • Disliked — The pool heating system was not working.
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Hilton Washington DC North Gaithersburg? Share your experiences!