“Great location, but need better sound proofing” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save Up To 20%
Ranked #8 of 15 hotels in Gaithersburg
Northport, Alabama
“Great location, but need better sound proofing”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2012 via mobile

We spent one night here and our overall impression was disappointment. The in-room air conditioning unit noisy. Additionally, even though we were in the top (12) floor, we could hear road and train noise.
The bathroom floor was dirty, too. Otherwise the deluxe room was an acceptable size.
Would not recommend this hotel because of the noise.

• Stayed September 2012
hiltongaithersburgGM, General Manager at Hilton Washington DC North Gaithersburg, responded to this review, September 18, 2012
Hello Crazydukefan-- Thank you for choosing our hotel and for posting a review to let us know about your stay and how we may be better able to serve you. I’m concerned that we did not live up to your expectations. Your satisfaction is very important to us and we appreciate your feedback about noise coming from outside as well as the HVAC units. Your comments will help us to correct these issues. We hope you will consider staying with us the next time you are in the area.

304 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Naperville, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2012

This is a ok-ok hotel. The room is equipped with 2 queen beds, a flat screen tv etc. The shuttle service is a bit of wait. Had to wait 25 min. in the lobby to get the shuttle going. Then there was some argument between a hotel guest and the shuttle driver. Not sure who was right(or wrong).

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
hiltongaithersburgGM, General Manager at Hilton Washington DC North Gaithersburg, responded to this review, September 15, 2012
Hello Svemana—Thank you for choosing our hotel for your recent stay and for letting us know of your experience. I am pleased that you enjoyed the room and amenities, but sorry that you experienced less than satisfactory service on our shuttle. We’ll look into it and get it corrected, so that you will see improved service on your next stay. We look forward to having you return.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2012

Nice establishment. Could use a little TLC. Carpets need cleaning or replacing. Stains were everywhere from hall to rooms. Rooms were clean. Had several problems but all were taken care of quickly and efficiently by staff. When we arrived my husband quickly realized the remote did not work and there wasn't a fridge in our room. I called down to front desk and was informed we could upgrade to a different room for an additional $20. I didn't feel it necessary so asked for remote only. Went to use bathroom and urine was on seat. Called back down to front desk and was asked if we would like another room or a quick cleaning. I asked for cleaning. All of the staff was very kind and helpful. Cleaner and remote guy came quickly as well as a guy wheeling in a complimentary fridge. When problems are resolved no need to complain. Enjoyed my stay there.

Room Tip: We stayed for $59/night through hotels.com
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
hiltongaithersburgGM, General Manager at Hilton Washington DC North Gaithersburg, responded to this review, September 14, 2012
Hello Crabtree 10—thak you for taking the time to post a response about your recent stay. I appreciate your comments, both positive and negative as we grow our effectiveness through guest feedback. I understand your comments about the carpet, but I assure you they are clean. We vacuum daily and shampoo frequently, on a schedule or as needed. I will look into your specific comments, though. I am glad that your other concerns were taken care of promptly and that you thought our staff was efficient. We will use your feedback to review our procedures to ensure that they improve. We look forward to serving you when you come back in the future.
Yale Feldman,
Columbus Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2012

My wife, niece, and I stayed in two neighboring rooms for four nights while we toured Greater Washington DC by car and metro in mid-July, the high season. Our reservation did not include breakfast, so we had to forage locally. The best we found was a Panera, despite the fact that there is a Holiday Inn around the corner. With two hotels, we had hoped for a Bob Evans or something similar. The hotel is not easy to find in its nook behind a strip mall and around a traffic circle (two out of four days we took the wrong turning despite being able to see the hotel). Parking is convenient, though, and check-in/check-out was efficient. The rooms are standard in layout. We did have trouble getting the HVAC to work properly the first night but thereafter slept well each night. Bathrooms are well-appointed. Despite the fact that we had to pay for two newspapers (and presumably each room's bottled water), it seemed odd that we got them only 2 days out of 4; one day, the maid took the tip I had left but still gave us no water! Not the end of the world, but it suggests that maid service needs standardization. We chose this hotel for its relatively easy access (4-5 miles) to the Gaithersburg Metro stop ($3 one way to Capitol South, eg), where we parked our car ($5 flat rate, free on weekends) and the DC beltway (for access to Annapolis and later Northern Virginia). Given the price we paid for each room (less than $85 per night), we found the hotel good enough but the service a little erratic.

Room Tip: We noticed no noise from the elevated freeway, so that doesn't seem to be an issue.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
hiltongaithersburgGM, General Manager at Hilton Washington DC North Gaithersburg, responded to this review, August 22, 2012
Hello XuXiakeColumbusOhio—thank you for choosing the Gaithersburg Hilton for your recent visit to the Greater Washington D.C. area and for letting us know of your opinions on our area and hotel. I am pleased that you found our hotel to be suitable for your needs as visitors to Washington DC are very important to our business. I have shared your comment with our staff and those items that are within our control will be addressed and corrected. Your other comments represent good information for us to be able to anticipate needs or information for future guests. I hope that you will choose us again when you come back for your next visit to Washington.
Atlanta, Georgia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2012

Below what I have come to expect from Hilton. The room was in desperate need of updating. The first room I was given had smelled like it was cleaned with a dirty rag. The staff was friendly and professional and did not have any issue switching my room. The Rooks Corner, although expensive, was very good. The reason for a 2 is because it is such a desperate need of an update.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Hello IAHawkeyes99—thank you for taking the time to post a response about your recent stay at the Hilton Gaithersburg. I am sorry that you weren’t happy with your originally assigned room, but glad that we were able to take care of you in a professional and friendly manner. I have had our Executive Housekeeper look into your concerns and the cleaning issues have been corrected. Thank you also for your comments about our restaurant. Please come back soon as we have recently changed our menu and you will find some new and creative items to tempt your palate.
Rockville, Maryland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012

Me and 2 friends came here because we didn't want to have to drink & drive so we chose a hotel close by to a party we were at to walk to and crash at. Little did we know, that this hotel has 0 tolerance.

We came here, not even lying, inebriated enough not to be able to drive home so we were really planning on crashing here. We may have made a bit of noise but instead of getting a hotel call warning us to be quiet, or even someone coming up to tell us, we got police.

Yeah, the hotel literally called the police to "escort" us off the premise without a prior warning whatsoever. I mean, we were trying to be responsible and not drink & drive; however, little did we know, they had other plans.

So, the cops came and gave us no choice to leave AND we still had to pay for the room, that's just freaking ridiculous. On top of the that, one of the idiotic cop broke the bathroom door and said we have to pay for it! There was no hotel staff present with the cops!!! What kind of service is this? I went downstairs, literally asked the women in the front desk why she called the cops on us, and she said there was NO NOISE COMPLAIN, but she heard that we were loud. THERE WAS NO WARNINGS WHATSOEVER!

We were scrambling trying to figure out where to go, what to do because our cars were there. I ended up WALKING home, 2 hours later finally arriving. One of my friends is unreachable at this moment in time and the other slept outside in their car which we weren't even allowed to do... but he was able to sneak away and just get into his car and sleep.

This is just ridiculous. I've never had an experience like this and we were all of drinking age. All-in-all, i'd avoid coming to this place. They have no respect for their customers and definitely do not know how to do business.

I've never been this heated about service received. I personally will go out of my way to defer any future business to this establishment.

To sum it up: AVOID THIS PLACE.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Hello chen2001md--I have read your review thoroughly and have investigated all of your comments with the Manager on Duty, security and staff that were involved in your stay that evening. I commend you for the decision to not drink and drive, however I am sorry that utilizing our hotel did not work out exactly according to your plan. You admit that you were inebriated when you arrived. After you vacated the room(s), we found a large amount of empty alcohol containers, spilled wine, beer cases and the bath tub being used as a cooler. Perhaps, as a result of these circumstances, some of the interpretations of events, or information relayed to you by your friends are not quite clear or accurate. I have found out from our Manager on Duty that there was a significant amount of noise and that many people not registered in the hotel were going in and out of your room. You or someone in your group was spoken to more than one time, but the noise and disturbance (there was even a “Beer Pong” event going on in the room on a table that you brought in) did not subside. As we had a full hotel with the responsibility for the safety and quiet enjoyment of all other guests in the hotel, we had no choice but to call the police. It was then in their hands and they handled it like a police matter of disturbing the peace. That they chose to put you out of the hotel was not a matter of negotiation. We do have respect for our customers and do know how to run the business, which is why we took the actions that we did.
Dillsburg, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2012

My wife and I spent an evening at the Hilton Gaithersburg after spending a day in Washington, D.C. We arrived late in the evening, and the check in staff was helpful. We are Hilton Honors members, so we received complimentary breakfast vouchers and our room was on the 12th floor with a balcony. The room was clean and fairly well appointed. While it was apparent that the hotel was older since the bathroom was smaller, the room was updated with newer fixtures and a flat-screen tv. There was free WIFI and complementary bottled water and chocolate for HHonors members in the room.

In the morning, we went down to the breakfast buffet. It would typically cost $16 a person without the voucher. While the food was above the average continental "pastries and cereal," it was definitely not worth $16. The best item was the omelet since it was made right in front of you.

Everyone at the hotel was pleasant, especially a manager at the breakfast. He was very conversational and you could tell that he was putting his best foot forward.

Overall, we would stay here again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
hiltongaithersburgGM, General Manager at Hilton Washington DC North Gaithersburg, responded to this review, August 20, 2012
Hello Echelmeier1- Thank yo0u for choosing the Hilton Gaithersburg for your recent visit to Washington D.C. As a Hhonors member, I realize that you have a lot of choices and appreciate the fact that you chose us. Your comments are well received and you have mentioned many of the things that we are very proud of. It makes it more worthwhile providing such services when we know that they matter to our guests. I will share your comments with our staff and hope that you choose us again for your next visit to the Washington D.C. area.
Yale Feldman

Been to Hilton Washington DC North Gaithersburg? Share your experiences!