“Staff is the high point here” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save Up To 20%
Ranked #8 of 15 Hotels in Gaithersburg
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
“Staff is the high point here”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2012

Had to stay there for a week and, I gotta say, felt a little worried by all the mixed reviews... Can honestly say that my worries were finished within the first 10 minutes. Helpfull staff and an amazing hotel!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
hiltongaithersburgGM, General Manager at Hilton Washington DC North Gaithersburg, responded to this review, July 26, 2012
Hello T H—Thank you for taking the time to post a response about your recent stay at our hotel. Your comments are especially meaningful as a friendly and helpful staff is one of the key pillars in taking care of and satisfying guests. I am very pleased that you found our staff to be friendly and helpful and do so many things right for you. I have shared your comments at a recent staff meaning and they meant a lot. We hope to see you back again soon.
Yale Feldman

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2012

I have found that Hilton Hotels in "regional/suburban" areas often do not live up to the Hilton Brand experience in major cities. I would mark this hotel as an exception. The Front Desk Staff was extremely friendly and even called my room to make sure it met my needs. The local shuttle offered transportation to all local restaurants and shopping destinations (including the Shady Grove Metro) at no additional cost. The Shuttle driver "Kos" was so friendly and willing to go the extra mile (figuratively and literally!). The bar and bartenders were also very fun! I would definitely choose this hotel again when staying in the DC suburbs.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
hiltongaithersburgGM, General Manager at Hilton Washington DC North Gaithersburg, responded to this review, August 10, 2012
Hello Hotelguest60795-we love being located in the suburbs and are delighted that you recognized that we provided good service. Many of the areas you mentioned are aspects of guest service that we have identified as extremely important, so thank you for helping us prioritize. I am pleased that you found your stay and our staff to be up to your expectations and look forward to seeing you again on your next visit.
Georgetown, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2012

I recently stayed at the Hilton Washington DC North Gaithersburg and was very impressed by the friendly and helpful staff. Everyone I interacted with went above and beyond to make me feel like a welcomed guest. As an example, I went to the front desk to ask for a hotel information book that wasn't in my room. Not only did the book arrive within 10 minutes of my request, the person that I spoke to at the front desk called to make sure that I received it. Between the front desk, the restaurant staff, the person who brought my room service, to the gentlemen that helped to arrange for my transportation to the airport, it was a completely positive experience. If I am ever in the area again, this is the hotel I'll be selecting.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Hello T H—thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay at the Hilton Gaithersburg. I was very pleased to read your comments regarding our staff and have shared them with all of my managers to be read at their departmental meetings. The fact that you described it as a “completely positive experience” has allowed me to emphasize the importance of service as well as teamwork in our operations. We certainly look forward to having you back in the hotel the next time your travels bring you to the area.
Longmont, Colorado
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2012

Checked into this hotel 10mins ago and felt compelled to write this review as soon as connected; rude young woman on front desk (Beverly I think; name tag was obscured) needs to learn some basic conversational courtesy. That she didn't happen to know United's frequent flyer program is called 'Mileage Plus' and was unable to verify my account number is OK; speaking to me like I'm the problem absolutely is not. I see I'm not the first reviewer to have made similar complaints. First impressions of rooms - tired - also concurs with other reviewers.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
, General Manager at Hilton Washington DC North Gaithersburg, responded to this review, June 26, 2012
Hello Simon M—Thank you for choosing our hotel for your recent stay, however I am sorry that you did not have a more pleasant experience at Check-in. This is your first impression of the hotel and the staff and I understand that when you don’t feel you are treated properly, it can taint the whole experience. Our Rooms Manager was made aware of the situation and has had a coaching and training discussion with the person you noted. your comments and observations should have positive futre results. We hope to see you back here again soon when your travels again bring you to the Gaithersburg, MD area.
Newville, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2012

This is my second time staying at this hotel. I was not particularly thrilled the first time either, but since it is located right next door to the VCA Vetrinary Hospital, I would stay there again if I needed to bring my dog in to the hospital. That said, I travel a lot and I generally stay at a Hilton (or Hilton brand). This place is just not up to par. The employees are nice enough, and I enjoyed chatting it up with the bartenders during my visit, but as a group they are just not that good at what they do. The place is nice enough and the rates are reasonable so if you are not looking for anything special, go for it. It is about like a giant, average grade, Best Western. On this particular trip, they screwed up my booking and billing to a humorous level. I paid extra to get a room with a refridgerator and microwave. They were not in my room when I arrived, so I immeditely called to inquire. After a long discussion, I was told they'd be right up. Hours later, the still were not there (resulting in the spoilage of meat I have brought for my dog). I went to the desk and sure enough, my initial call was logged but the items were never delivered. I was a bit more firm then demanding the items and that my bill be adjusted for the error. The items were delivered, but the bill was not adjusted--nor did I receive the free beer I was promised for my troubles. When the final bill posted, I was sharged the higher rate for the room and was also charged for water in the room that I did not drink. I called and was told within hours that it was settled. The refund has not yet posted, but I believe them when they say they fixed it. One night during my stay there was also a broken glass littering the hallway on the Hilton Honors floor. I guess it could happen anywhere, but I am just not used to experiences like this at Hiltons. So, kudos for being responsive upon complaints, I guess... but these things were easy to get right and never should have happened. Other than the spoiled meat, this place fulfilled my minimum requirements, but at no time did I feel like a "valued guest."

Room Tip: It is in a busy area. Shoot for a high floor if you want quiet.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
Hello BcOneSeven-—Thank you for choosing our hotel and for taking the time to provide us with the details of your stay. We do take these comments and critiques very seriously and I have already spent time with my managers and staff to address your concerns. Whatever the reasons for the issues you’ve noted, I do apologize that the service we provided to you did not meet your expectations, and that we did not make you feel like a “valued guest” . We should have. We are proud that our overall service ratings do meet or exceed Hilton standards, but obviously this was not apparent in our delivery to you. I assure you that when you choose to stay here again you will have a better experience. I invite you to call me directly at the hotel for your next reservation so that I can ensure that everything you require is in place. You are correct in that everything you noted is “fixable” and we will continue to work hard to do so.
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2012

I can't believe how good this hotel was. Its cost was reasonable for its location. We were very impressed the minute we opened the door to our room. The bed was massive. The best thing about this hotel was the breakfast. Full buffet breakfest 20 dollars. We had an 8 hour drive ahead of us so we made full use of this.

Overall, fantastic hotel!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
hiltongaithersburgGM, General Manager at Hilton Washington DC North Gaithersburg, responded to this review, May 24, 2012
Hello robertcoleman1986—my sincerest thanks for this review that you recently posted. You complimented us on several aspects of the hotel that are very important to us and I am pleased that we were able to satisfy you so well. If your travels bring you back to this area, please look us up again. We would love to be your host for a repeat visit.
Ellicott City
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2012

The value of the hotel is the special rate I got as an artist and its proximity to the Montgomery County fairgrounds which is the venue for a number of shows and craft fairs. While the hotel has been given a bit of a facelift in the past 18 months to 2 years, it could use further refurbishing. The bathrooms have been improved markedly with what appears to be refacing of the surfaces with stone tile. Unfortunately, the carpeting, invariably, is stained and guarantees the need for slippers or flip-flops to feel comfortable. One thing that also appears not to have been upgraded and updated is the quality of the staff; they are generally cold and not particularly helpful. I cannot speak to the food, since I chose not to eat at the hotel. However, room service trays were plentiful in the hallways, and remained there for the better part of a day. UGH.
The only good news this trip was that no soccer teams were staying at the hotel! That can be -- and has been -- a disaster for elevator travel, for congestion in the dining room, and for outrageous noise in the halls at all hours of the night!

Room Tip: Ask to be on a floor AWAY from any children/teen sports teams. The kids are noxious; the parents ca...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Hello editted—thank you for faking the time to post comments about your recent stay at our hotel. I am pleased that you found value in the rate and location by using our hotel. This is a very important part of the equation in ensuring your satisfaction and thus enhancing our business. I understand the comments that you made and have shared them with our staff. I assure you that while our carpets may show some wear due to age, they are vacuumed daily, shampooed frequently and immaculately clean. Our staff is very experienced and capable, but I am sorry that you did not find them warm or helpful. I have addressed this concern with our management staff. We hope that you will again choose our hotel for your next visit to the area.
Yale Feldman

Been to Hilton Washington DC North Gaithersburg? Share your experiences!