“Pleasantly Surprised; Great Staff” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save Up To 20%
Ranked #8 of 15 hotels in Gaithersburg
Boise, Idaho
“Pleasantly Surprised; Great Staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2012

After reading the reviews here I was a bit apprehensive. But, I admired the well-thought responses by the General Manager and decided to keep my reservation. i was facilitating a workshop at the facility for a client in addition to staying 3 nights. So, I was able to observe not only the hotel, but the meeting facilities as well.

EVERYONE at the hotel - desk staff, restaurant staff, cleaning people - all were very friendly and "customer focused." When I checked in I asked for a high floor and was cheerfully given a room on the top floor. The gym facility was better than most hotels and very clean. There is an indoor/outdoor pool that I did not use, but when using the fitness room I noticed people enjoying the pool and actually a lifeguard on duty.

The restaurant was a very nice surprise. The service was very friendly and the food was excellent. The salmon dish was particularly good, but even the hamburger was tasty. The breakfast buffet, was very good as well. The first night I left my iPad case in the restaurant and about an hour later I received a call that it was at the front desk. Nice of them to track me down!

The meeting facility was excellent and the lunches and snacks as good as hoped for in the situation. I do a LOT of traveling and a LOT of workshops and this was on par with the best I have seen.

Another note on the staff. I needed to find a pharmacy and I asked at the front desk for the location. Not only did I get friendly directions, when I returned, he asked if I got what I needed and was there anything they could do for me.

The room was nice size, everything worked; shower was wonderful; although the bathroom was a bit small and cramped.

I would HIGHLY recommend this Hilton when in the D.C. or Maryland area. I am returning for more workshops next month and look forward to my stay.

Room Tip: The top floor (12) rooms have a balcony. Nice as spring approaches to be able to step out for some...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
hiltongaithersburgGM, General Manager at Hilton Washington DC North Gaithersburg, responded to this review, February 27, 2012
Hello Sadec1970—WOW. Thank you for taking the time to write such an extensive review of your recent stay at our hotel and for posting it to Trip Advisor. The comments you’ve made will go far in reinforcing the benefits of our attention to details and the importance we place on the proper delivery of service to our guests. It is rewarding to know that not only did we assist in satisfying your needs, but that our staff followed up to ensure that everything was taken care of. I have already shared your review with several of our senior managers and by the end of the week I anticipate that most of our staff will be familiar with it.
I truly enjoyed meeting you while you were in the hotel. Your observations to me were timely and helpful. As with all comments made by our guests, each one draws our attention to a reality or a situation that can be enhanced. I try to grow our operation by the direction set by our guest comments.
I look forward to seeing you again on your next visit to the hotel. I hope you will call me personally and let me know when you expect to be back.

303 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2012 via mobile

My husband and I have gone to the Hilton every New Year's Eve for the past 4 years since we've discovered this great value. We live less than 5 miles away but we treat ourselves to this nonetheless because we have 5 children and never want to be far from home. We thought we would do this forever but sadly this was probably our last year at the Hilton. We were disappointed with the service, no one even wished us a Happy Anniversary even though I made a point of letting people know, I wanted to buy a bottle of champagne to toast when we returned to our room and waited 10 min at the bar for service but was never acknowledged. The bar was closed when we returned to the hotel even though we returned before the time the front desk told us they closed. There was no special New Year's event in the hotel AND the breakfast buffet was cold and not tasty. We always go for the New Year's Day omelette but the omelette man was not even there! I'm sorry to say the Gaithersburg Hilton has lost my business!

Wanda Coates
coatesw@hotmail.com

• Stayed December 2011
hiltongaithersburgGM, General Manager at Hilton Washington DC North Gaithersburg, responded to this review, February 15, 2012
Hello coateswa--Thank you for taking the time to post your comment on Trip Advisor about your New Year’s Eve experience at the Hilton Gaithersburg. I am pleased that you chose our hotel for your Holiday Celebration and Anniversary, but am disappointed that you found your stay less than acceptable. You are our neighborhood and loyal friend and I am sorry that we let you down. I have shared your comments with our applicable managers and we will use your input to get any problems noted corrected. I would be very pleased if you would come back some time soon and let us redeem ourselves. After all, you are right in the neighborhood. Please feel free to give me a call and we can discuss your experience and how we may improve your perception of the evening, as well as win you back. I wish you a sincere, although belated Happy Anniversary.
Ellicott City, Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2012

This is an excellent location for business traveler. Hilton management need to put a bit more to keep customers happy. If room describes with a refrigerator...it should be there. Why need to ask for it? Why frontdesk cant SMILE ? I understand that's what they do to keep a customer happy...The coffee shop is a disappointment...closed half of the time >>>? The dignified lady in the Coffee store is always unhappy that she has to work...
I'm loyal to Hilton properties...Please correct these small things

Room Tip: Always request for the top floor...airy...cleaner
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
hiltongaithersburgGM, General Manager at Hilton Washington DC North Gaithersburg, responded to this review, February 14, 2012
Hello episcan—Thank you for choosing our hotel for your business travel needs and for taking the time to give us your observations on areas where we could do better. I agree that our efforts should be geared to keeping you happy and to providing what is described—that is what “hospitality” is all about. I have shared your comments with our departments and I assure you there will be more smiles in the future. I had some embarrassed faces in the crowd. We look forward to having you back on your next stay in the area and to greeting you with all smiles.
Wilton, Connecticut
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2011

The Hilton was so standard for a business trip: clean accommodation, decent price for the area.
The Jack Daniels bread pudding was a surprizingly good yummy reward after a hard day of smiling at clients.

Desk team was disappointing in their inability to provide maps and directions to local business sites.

Be aware that getting a little bit lost around the surrounding areas can land you in some creepy places.

Room Tip: There are no views here.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
hiltongaithersburgGM, General Manager at Hilton Washington DC North Gaithersburg, responded to this review, December 21, 2011
Hello Candyland123—Thank you for taking the time to post a review about your recent stay at the Gaithersburg Hilton. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay and your comments about our bread pudding brought smiles to our food and beverage team. We will work to correcting the shortcoming you described about the information available at the front desk. Hope to see you again when your travels bring you back to the areal
Nairobi, Nairobi Area, Kenya
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2011

After staying at hilton suites, Anaheim/Orange for four nights i flew in to DC area immediately and stayed here for two nights. It is just an average place not worth the value. Honestly with a one on one comparison with its counterpart in Orange, CA, this place is just a disappointment.

Its an old place, the rooms are old the only new thing probably being the Flat screen tv. the toilet was not very clean by hilton standards, one of the hand towels was stained.
the aircon is a bit noisy especially if you are working by the desk.
The service is just average.

Everything about it from the rooms etc is not upto the hilton standards i expected.

The only good thing about the place is that the bar is actually lively,there is a courtesy shuttle bus service to the shopping center, metro or within the area.

I would not want to return here in my next trip to the area.

Room Tip: i would have preferred a room in the top floors but i got one at ground level
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
Hello Miano D—Thank you for choosing our hotel for your recent visit to Gaithersburg and for taking the time to post a review on Trip Advisor. These comments are very important to us as we fine tune our business by responding to guest observations and concerns. I am sorry that you found some of the conditions to not be up to your standards. I have shared your comments with the appropriate managers and the specifics are being addressed. I am glad that you found our lounge to be lively and that the shuttle service was adequate. We would certainly look forward to welcoming you back when your travels bring you back to the area.
Monza, Italy
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2011

hotel room was very calm even if the hotel is near busy roads. The only thing I have to complain on is that the air conditioning (well, heater in my case) was positioned right next to the desk making it annoying (noise + fan) to work while the system was working. As for the rest everything was good: very very clean, great breakfast selection, descent complimentary internet access, free parking, good service overall. I have also had dinner twice at the hilton and the crab cakes are excellent !

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
hiltongaithersburgGM, General Manager at Hilton Washington DC North Gaithersburg, responded to this review, November 18, 2011
Dear Chemdesables, Thank you so much for your recent review of our hotel. We are so pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay and were able to dine in to have our amazing crab cakes! It wouldn't be right to be in Maryland and not have good crabcakes and I am so glad you found ours to be excellent. I do apologize for the loud heater and will make sure it is attended to. We hope to see you soon.
Statesville, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2011

Okay I grant you we were there for the Bethesda soccer tournament, but that is no reason to shove people in the basement and in midget size beds. My husband, my 14 year old daughter and myself are of average height and yes our feet hung off the end of the bed.
I will admit it was very clean and the cleaning staff was very nice, however the lady at the front desk's attitude left a lot to be desired. She was aware that there were three of us and offered only one key and our late check in left me in no mood to argue with anyone.
I do realize that 150.00 a night may not be expensive for a hilton, but a basement room I think not...Next time I will go away from where our team is staying possibly suggest they stay elsewhere as well and get a much nicer room :(

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
Hello percheck: Thank you for your review or our hotel. We are sorry the room was not to your liking. I assure you that the beds in this room as in all rooms in the hotel are of standard sixe and the same as you would find n Hiltons all ofver the country. I am sorry that they wre not comfortable for you. Our first floor rooms are normally very sought after as they provide additional access to and from the parking lot and convenience to your car. Again, I am sorry the location was not to your liking. Bethesda Soccer is a very important partner for us and we do hop[e that you will stay here again when tournament time rolls around.
Best Regards,
Yale Feldman

Been to Hilton Washington DC North Gaithersburg? Share your experiences!