“Dated but well-kept, well-run” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save Up To 20%
Ranked #8 of 15 Hotels in Gaithersburg
New York
“Dated but well-kept, well-run”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2011

This old-style Hilton that would look quite normal on any Mad Men episode, is still well-run and well-maintained. 12 floors of rooms with most of the noise equipment kept close to the elevators shafts = so most rooms should be very quiet. My room was at the farthest end of the corridor. Big, empty balcony - a good place to look outside at the Sam's club with which this Hilton shares the backyard. The room was spacious, old furniture, old linen. Bathroom fared MUCH better - nice new towels, Peter Thomas Roth shampoos, conditioners etc.
The safe was very roomy, extra blanket, pillow - the usual stuff for the executive floor rooms. Strangely enough, the phone preset buttons did not work, not one of them - so you would have to get to the operator first.
Breakfast at the ground floor restaurant was quite typical of all Hilton properties = eggs made to order, choice of juices, breads, pastries and fruit. Well-run by very polite team of servers.
There is an all day/all night room service and the bar at the restaurant was packed around midnight.
In a nutshell, with update linens this would be a very, very good hotel!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
hiltongaithersburgGM, General Manager at Hilton Washington DC North Gaithersburg, responded to this review, October 19, 2011
Dear heyvalera—Thank you for your review of our hotel. We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay and appreciate your feedback on the furniture and the linen. I will keep these suggestions for our next upgrade to the hotel. I do apologize that the preset buttons on the phone did not work properly and have had this problem corrected. We will also check all of the other rooms in the hotel as we go through our normal inspection and maintenance routines. Thank you for your stay and for all of your comments. We hope to have you back soon.
Yale Feldman

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Pace, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2011

Overall the hotel was decent. You could tell the hotel is quite old but appeared that it had been updated at some point in the last few years. Of the hotels I've stayed in recently the bed was better than most although still not great but decent for a hotel mattress. My two biggest complaints about the room was that the bathroom was extremely small. It was quite hard to fit in and shut the door easily. Also the shower/tub did have some mold spots but otherwise was clean. The room was a king with a sleeper sofa. It did have a nice LCD TV in the room. No mini-fridge though which was a let down. I though those were pretty standard in rooms these days.

Location is good if you're doing stuff in Gaithersburg but it is pretty far out of the city. About 45 minutes from Dulles and about an hour and a half drive in to the city during busy times. It's about 5-10 minutes from a metro station though but that's still about an hour ride to the heart of DC.

The restaurant/bar food was good and the staff in the bar area were very friendly.

I didn't deal with the front desk staff other than checking in/out but didn't have a problem with either.

The first night we were there I guess a power transformer blew and the power went out at the hotel. They did have a generator so at least the elevator and wake up call worked so I give them credit for that but the room did get mighty cold real quick and we were without power for several hours so I had to get dressed by cell phone light. This wasn't the hotels fault but I would suggest maybe some emergency night light or something at least in the bathroom if this is something that happens frequently.

Overall decent. Much better than the Holiday Inn in Gaithersburg I have stayed in past times.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
Dear Bishoparc-thank you for choosing our hotel and for taking the time to post a review of your experiences. You were very extensive in the aspects of the hotel you described and I appreciate the insights you provided me. We always strive to improve and specific guest comments are the best source of input that we can have. II am sorry that you had to be impacted by the power outage that occurred. This was definitely not a normal occurrence and was out of the control of the hotel electrical systems. I am glad that the back up generator proved helpful to your needs. We look forward to seeing you again should you need hotel accommodations in the Gaithersburg, Md area.
Freehold, New Jersey
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2011

The hotel is not a 3 1/2 star hotel. 2 1/2 stars at best. The staff was not friendly. Room smelled musty at check in. Bathroom had mold and room was dated, although the bed was comfortable and linens were clean and nice. The hotel starts cleaning the rooms at 8:00 AM and the housekeeping staff knocked on our door at 8:00 AM and woke myself and my kids up. There was no apology for waking us up. The Housekeeping manager stated they had multiple rooms to clean and they start cleaning at 8:00 AM. If they are going to start that early they should warn customers to put out the do not disturb sign the night before. They have so many other disclaimers all around the hotel. Overall a low end experience and not representative of the Hilton brand of hotels.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Dear M E--Thank you for choosing our hotel for your recent visit and for posting a review. We do apologize for the experience that you had, as we certainly did not intend to wake you up earlier than expected. I will personally address this with our housekeeping department to create a better solution for the early morning required cleaning. I appreciate your insight and look forward to serving you again soon.
Alicante, Spain
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2011

The trip started out OK. The hotel is very old and shows it. Check in was fine. The room was OK,nothing fantastic, just OK.
My problems started when two things of my own doing occured. I left my breakfast tokens at a friends house I had visited. I explained this to the front desk staff the next morning after I discovered this and was bluntly told that "no, they would not replace the token and I would now have to pay for breakfast". Annoyed as all heck, I packed up and checked out immediately.
Unfortunately, in my haste, I forgot my ipod in the room and called the hotel as soon as I found out that same day. I was promised it would be retrieved and they would call me the next day.
On Tuesday I called after not receiveg a call to find out that the room cleaner had not found my Ipod. Amazing that huh. I 100% left it there yet somehow, they didn't find it? What? They don't clean the rooms properly then?
I had to call gaithersburg Police.
NEVER will I return to this hotel under the circumstances.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
hiltongaithersburgGM, General Manager at Hilton Washington DC North Gaithersburg, responded to this review, September 30, 2011
Hello Ray Goldberg- Thank you for choosing the Gaithersburg Hilton for your recent travels to the Maryland / DC area. We appreciate your patronage and would like to apologize that not every thing went to your satisfactions. I am glad that I had the opportunity to speak to you personally about your concerns. It is unfortunate that you lost your IPOD during the process of your checkout. As we discussed and I am sure you are aware, small items such as IPOD Mini's or even somewhat larger can be easily misplaced and go unnoticed. After our discussion, we again searched your guestroom, to no avail. Our housekeepers are very thorough, well trained and have been on our staff for many years. They are very aware of guest items and very diligent in turning anything that they find over to lost and found. Its is disappointing that your item was not found.I hope that you will reconsider and choose our hotel again if your travels bring you back to this area.
Yale Feldman, General Manager
Nicosia, Cyprus
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2011 via mobile

Excellent service through out, from lobby, to breakfast staff and room staff. The in room facilities was excellent, wifi was free throughout the hotel, fresh newwspaper every morning, many hotels worldwide dont even come close. Food quality was excellent, there was a mall very near by. Great, great great!

• Stayed February 2011
Hello Alkam--Thank you for choosing the Hilton Washington DC North/Gaithersburg for your stay in the area. I was very pleased to read your positive comments and thank you for taking the time to pass them along. I am glad that we were able to take care of all of your needs and look forward to having you back again when your travels bring you to the area.
Yale Feldman, General Manager
Crookston, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2011

I visited Maryland and Washington D.C area the beginning of the month and stayed at the Hilton Washington DC North Gaithersburg Hotel for 3 nights. I arrived on time and met a wonderful front desk officer who checked me in into a non smoking room on the fifth floor. Contrary to some of the reviews i had read before making the decision to book this hotel, i was indeed surprise with the neatness of the room as well as the bathrooms. The front desk supervisor that i talked with was extremely professional in the execution of his work and helped made my stay a pleasant one. The lobby area was really nice. My most impressive aspect of staying at this hotel was their breakfast buffet and the courtesy that was accorded to me by the catering managers. I would definitely recommend this hotel to anybody that is in the Washington DC area for either a visit, meeting, or just touring. The only thing that i had a problem with was the fact that, all the towels in the bath room were not replaced everyday and would want to bring that to the attention of the management. I don't know if its a policy or it is share ignorance on the part of the cleaning staff. I want to use this opportunity to thank the staff and management for the work they are doing and to keep it up.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
hiltongaithersburgGM, General Manager at Hilton Washington DC North Gaithersburg, responded to this review, September 10, 2011
Hello Nana507--Thank you for the very complimentary review you wrote about our hotel and staff after your recent stay in Gaithersburg. I was delighted to read your comments and will make certain that everyone on our staff has the opportunity to read or be aware of the things you have mentioned. It is nice to know that you were so pleased and hope that you will stay with us again when your travels bring you back to this area. As far as your concern about towel replacement, it is our policy (in keeping with green environmental practices relating to laundry procedures) to not change the towels each time they are used, unless specifically requested by the guest. We should have a note in each room explaining the procedure and I am sorry if that information was not available to you. I hope it was not too much of an inconvenience.
Thanks for choosing us and we hope to see you again soon.
pittsburgh, PA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2011

Give the Hilton in Gaithersburg a chance. Disregard the older posts on Trip Advisor because it's obvious that they turned over the management. I was a little leery myself as we were looking through the reviews. We ended up picking them because they were one of the only hotels in the area that didn't have bedbug reports. That being said, I was still a little scared because I used to be a wedding florist in the area and they had a terrible reputation in the event industry. I, of course, extrapolated that out to mean the whole place was bad news. I have to say we were very pleasantly surprised when we arrived. It was a little dodgy at first because of course when you're near the capitol you end up with weird bus tours full of foreign people that crowd the hallways. We came in on Friday of Easter weekend and apparently there was a huge bus tour of Africans, none of which spoke a lick of English. Always a little disconcerting to run into at a hotel but Hilton was smart enough to put us on a higher floor away from the chaos which I immensely appreciated. Our room was new, remodeled and modernized. The rug was not updated but who cares, it's the floor and it's only flaw was that it was ugly. It was extremely quiet all 4 days we were there and we enjoyed watching tv on the 47 inch LCD screen. I also appreciated the decent channel line up they had to offer. Not the sad basic cable that so many lesser places offer. I ended up telling my local friends about the turn around at Hilton and they all agreed it had gotten better with new management. The only caveat I leave you with--if you want to stay somewhere where you can walk to a bunch of tourist trap stuff, this hotel is not for you. You need to stay in the city for that sort of thing. Since I used to live In Gaithersburg I was more than happy to pay the minimal fee to stay there and enjoy my peaceful vacation sleeping quarters.

Room Tip: Pay the few dollars extra for the King Bed Suite. It will get you on a higher floor away from the no...