Overview: My wife and I visit Washington, DC, on a somewhat regular basis. As such, we’ve had the opportunity to stay at a number of hotels in and around the city. This is the first time that we’ve stayed at this particular Residence Inn. The reason we chose Gaithersburg instead of staying in DC itself was that we had to stay at a hotel that offered non-parking garage parking, as our vehicle had a large rooftop carrier on it during this trip. The hotels we usually stay in either did not have that option or were booked. Other DC area hotels we’ve stayed in recently include the Marriott Wardman Park, the Omni Shoreham, the Residence Inn (Dupont Circle), the Residence Inn (Bethesda), and the Embassy Suites (Freedom Heights).
Three reasons why you’d want to stay here: 1) The location is just off of Rte 270 and is about 30 minutes from DC by car – a good option if you want to stay just out of the city (and pay less for accommodations and parking). The Metro’s Shady Grove (Red Line) station is a couple of miles away. 2) There is a daily breakfast buffet – nothing special - included in the price. 3) There is a really nice retail/entertainment complex within walking distance from the hotel. The nicely landscaped complex includes about ten restaurants, stores (including Target, Kohls, Barnes and Nobles, Dick’s Sports, etc.) and a Cineplex.
Some reasons why you wouldn’t: 1) The rooms are smaller than a typical Residence Inn and the room had a ‘tired’ look and feel to it: stains/burns on the carpet, small TV’s and worn cushions. The bathroom was quite small. Refrigerator’s ice maker didn’t work properly. 2) Even though the rate comes with a daily buffet breakfast, there really isn’t enough room in the Gatehouse dining room to accommodate everyone who wants to eat there. Both days it was very crowded and we ended up carrying our breakfast – as best we could because there weren’t any trays to be had – back to our room.
Conclusion: All in all, we would recommend this Residence Inn but with some reservation. There other hotel options nearby (Courtyard, Marriott, Spring Hill Suites, Hilton) that we will try next time if the need arises to stay in this area, instead of this RI.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- An all suite property with full kitchens.Convenient to restaurants and shops in the Washingtonian Center (Rio).Close to many Washington DC, I-270 and Shady Grove Metro station. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Marriott, Expedia, Hotwire, Hotels.com, Priceline, Orbitz, Travelocity, Low Cost Holidays and Odigeo so you can book your Residence Inn Gaithersburg Washingtonian Center reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Residence Inn Gaithersburg Washingtonian Hotel Gaithersburg
- Gaithersburg Residence Inn