“Lots of rooms” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #7 of 15 Hotels in Gaithersburg
Pensacola, Florida
“Lots of rooms”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

I was moved to this hotel from other hotel that is also owned by Marriott, which is just up the street. The Residence Inn has most of the amenities that you would expect, with the added bonus of a kitchen. I didn't use the kitchen except to make a small pot of coffee, so that wasn't necessary and just took up extra space.

I actually had to switch rooms during my stay, due to a snafu at the front desk. Others in my party also had issues with their rooms, so there may be concerns with proper training of their staff at the front desk.

Note that there is no maid service at this hotel, presumably because it's meant for longer term stays. But that's just a guess. But I was disappointed after a long day sight-seeing, and seeing that the room had not been tidied up.

There is a basketball court that was being regularly used, as well as the swimming pool which looked to be fully functional. The gym has the obligatory equipment so that you can get a decent workout.

Breakfast is what you would expect: sausage biscuits and gravy, scrambled eggs, fruit, cereal, and a waffle maker. If you leave there hungry, it's no fault of theirs...

This hotel is 50% more expensive than the other Marriott hotel I stayed at the day before, but I had a hard time seeing why. Other than the stove and full size frig, which could easily explain the cost. But there were no drawers to put my clothes into, except the stand holding up the TV. That seemed a little strange. And there was less floor space as well...

If you're looking for a hotel room where you can cook meals in, this will do it, if you're willing to pay the extra price. But if you're not planning on cooking, I'd go a little further up the street and check out the other Marriott. You'll get more bang for your buck.

Room Tip: Higher floors have better views of the pool and basketball court.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Weehawken, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2014

You stay here because you know what you are going to get. This hotel exhibited all the typical traits of a Residence Inn, meaning nice rooms, great service and of course the included breakfast. There was nothing exceptional about it, so that is why it earns a solid 4 stars. Pros list is all that is needed.

Pros:
1. Location is great, right in the middle of shopping, residential and corporate.
2. The rooms were big, accommodating and clean.
3. The staff was always very friendly.
4. The outdoor pool had an actual lifeguard on duty, which is a nice thing when you have kids going to the pool.
5. The breakfast was OK, nothing special, but it was included and good enough.
6. And this is all Residence Inns (as far as I know) but I enjoy the microwave popcorn that comes with the room.

Overall, I recommend this hotel.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
RIGaithersburg, General Manager at Residence Inn Gaithersburg Washingtonian Center, responded to this review, July 8, 2014
Dear Psudino,

Thank you for choosing the Residence Inn by Marriott at Gaithersburg. I am so pleased that you enjoyed your stay. Traveling with kids is never easy and a pool can make all the difference at the end of a long hot day riding in a car. It makes our day to know that your stay was great and exactly what you expect in a hotel.

And I'm sure you will want to know that we are currently re-inventing our hotel and room decor with new updated colors and style! New carpets, cool furniture, and a whole new re-do is just starting...and we can't wait till you come back to enjoy!

Please let me know if you need anything and we hope to see you all soon!

Utah
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2014

We stayed here for 5 nights on a mixed business/pleasure family trip. The staff was very friendly as were many of the guests. The area is close to good dining, movies and shopping. Breakfast was good and there is dinner offered a few nights a week.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Charlottesville, Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2014

The positives: Front desk staff efficient and pleasant. Breakfast-decent selections and quality. Location-though there are many choices in the neighborhhod.

Minor problems: Parking very tight on each of two stays, but that cant be attributed to current management. Room and property dated.

The more signficant problems: Hallways not well lighted. Fitness room small and inadequate. I ran the sink water on hot for many minutes at 6:00 am and no hot water arrived. After several more minutes of cold shower water, it did get luke warm. In all, this delayed my morning considerably. I left a note for the manager with my contact information (at least for an explanation) but as I write this more 2 days after departure I have heard nothing.

I dont consider his property up to typical Marriott standards. Ive looked at the pricing on many occasuons and I would not pay their typical rates to stay again, though I am in the area almost weekly.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
RIGaithersburg, General Manager at Residence Inn Gaithersburg Washingtonian Center, responded to this review, March 25, 2014
Dear insights 100,

Thank you for choosing the Residence Inn by Marriott at Gaithersburg. We sincerely appreciate your business. Please accept my apologies for the inconveniences you experienced during your stay. I know what it means to have a hot shower in the morning. Please know that this was a quick adjustment so you or other guests never have to experience these types of things. There is ample parking but limited spaces immediately at the entrance doors. My apologies for the parking inconvenience. This can be frustrating if you have more than one bag. Please know that we would be happy to assist you in the future. I also want to let you know that we did have our Assistant GM at the property on the day of your check-out. I (GM) was out of the region on personal business and was unavailable. I apologize that you did not speak with a manager while at the hotel or your message passed on to our manager on duty.

We hope you will return when you are back in the area as we look forward to having you stay at the Residence Inn by Marriott in Gaithersburg.

Westminster, Maryland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2014

Not up to Marriott’s standards

As a Marriott life Platinum member, I have stayed nearly as many nights in Marriott’s as my own home. The Marriott brand is generally known for quality, service and value.

Unfortunately, our Valentines weekend stay at the Residence Inn in Gaithersburg did not measure up and was a waste of 30,000 Marriott points that I cashed in to cover the stay. Thankfully, we didn't pay cash for this stay or we would have been even more upset.

Pros:

Front Desk staff. The front desk staff was very friendly and made us feel welcome. A+

Location. The location is very close to the Rio Center. Plenty of good restaurants, shopping and AMC movies.

Cons:

Cleanliness of our room, on the 3rd floor of Bldg B. was far below Marriott standards. As another reviewer wrote, the room had almost a distinct odor (a cross between mold and someone who tried to cover up pet urine). It was unpleasant.

The floor and counters in our room were filthy. Thank goodness we brought our own handy wipes (see attached pic) but I really shouldn't have to wipe down the kitchen counters, table and desk on my weekend away from home.

Room was dated and in need of an upgrade (burn marks on one side of the sofa cushion and a general appearance of needing to be updated.

Coffee machine and dishes not clean. The coffee machine was actually filthy. To be safe, we ran everything through the dishwasher (again, it was a minor inconvenience but not something I should have to do on my weekend away).

Hallway lighting was very dim. Not a problem during the day, but could pose a security concern at night.

Parking. Very limited. Best bet is to park at the hotel next door if you are in Bldg B.

Elevator and hallway. Carpet in elevator heavily stained and hallways were very dirty. Marks and tears on the walls.

Most hotel owners take pride in their properties not allowing them to look this way, and the general condition of the elevator and hallways is very telling to what we found in our room

Dog feces all over the sidewalks. I’m all for pet-friendly hotels but the pet owners really should have the courtesy to pick up after their pet. This is not really Marriott’s issue, just calling it out as it was like walking around a mine field trying to get over to the Club House for breakfast.

It’s nice to get away, but if I had to do it again I wouldn't waste 30,000 Marriott points (and I certainly would not pay my hard earned money) to stay here until the property is updated and until the cleanliness issues are addressed.

The irony is that this property is right next to one of Marriott's corporate offices and several other Marriott hotel properties, so you would think that they would bring their A game.

We will likely return to the full service Marriott Washingtonian or Courtyard Washingtonian next time we are in Gaithersburg and pass on this Residence Inn.

Room Tip: Our room on the 3rd floor of Building B was not very clean. Hallways very dark. Parking not conven...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
RIGaithersburg, General Manager at Residence Inn Gaithersburg Washingtonian Center, responded to this review, February 17, 2014
Dear FamilyManMD,

Thank you for choosing the Residence Inn by Marriott at Gaithersburg. We appreciate you and your business. I also want to apologize for any of the issues you had regarding cleanliness and overall age of the guestroom. Please know that we operate at the highest levels of guest satisfaction and all issues will be addressed. We have standards that all staff members must perform to each day and when our guest is not happy, then we see this as an opportunity to improve on many levels. If you would like to speak with me directly, please do not hesitate to contact me directly at 301-590-3003.

Thank you again for your valuable feedback and we look forward to you and your family staying with us in the future.

Yours Truly,
Gaithersburg, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2014

I stayed at the Residence Inn Gaithersburg Washingtonian Center the night before my wedding, and on my wedding night. I had a two-bedroom corner suite on the side of the building facing Washingtonian Boulevard. I chose the property because it offers 2 bedroom suites, and I needed the space for getting myself and my bridal party ready for the big day. We booked a block of rooms at the Washingtonian Marriott Hotel next door for our guests, but stayed at the Residence Inn to give ourselves some privacy on our wedding night, and also because the hotel is pet-friendly and we had our two dogs with us.

The property itself is walking distance to many restaurants: Guapos, Tara Thai, Café Deluxe, California Pizza Kitchen, Potbelly’s, BGR Joint, Starbucks, etc. In the same area as the restaurants, there are also many shops and a movie theatre. As other reviewers have stated, in the warmer months, there is a nice pond that takes you around the entire RIO complex. The hotel is conveniently located next to major thoroughfares – I-270 is just around the corner.

The rooms are comfortable, clean and well-maintained. Even though this is a pet-friendly property, there is no lingering pet odor anywhere in the hotel. The front desk staff we interacted with was prompt, polite and courteous. Love that the property provides free WiFi and had no problems with connectivity any time during our stay. As with many other Marriott Hotels we have stayed in, the Gaithersburg Washingtonian Center delivers a consistent, pleasant guest experience. I recommend the hotel to travelers visiting the Gaithersburg area, and would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Hornell, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2014

We stopped here while driving through. The front desk staff was above and beyond welcoming and accommodating !!!!!
It is a very nice location..... We had a great room with fireplace, but the furniture needs updating! There are many restaurants and shopping within minutes!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
RIGaithersburg, General Manager at Residence Inn Gaithersburg Washingtonian Center, responded to this review, February 11, 2014
Dear NanolaMarie,

Thank you for choosing the Residence Inn by Marriott at Gaithersburg. I am so very pleased you enjoyed yourself while visiting in the area. You are the reason why we enjoy what we do each and every day. Please know that every comment is valuable information and we love to hear from our guests so we know what works best and what we need to improve. Please know that we are beginning a complete refresh of our hotel starting in July. I so hope that you will consider staying with us in the future so you can see the beautiful and exciting changes taking place. All my best.

General manager

Been to Residence Inn Gaithersburg Washingtonian Center? Share your experiences!