Let me start by saying I understand this isn't your typical hotel as you don't get daily house cleaning and you have guests that stay long term. However, I fully expected the room to have been cleaned prior to us checking in. It was absolutely disgusting.
We arrived around 11:30 pm on 7/3. Got to our room and very first thing we notice is the filthy carpet. Looked like it hadn't been cleaned in years and definitely hadn't been vacuumed well before we got there. That was just the beginning. Half the lamps didn't have light bulbs in them, the shades on the lamps were all lopsided, there was hair in the bathroom floor, the mirror looked like it had been wiped with a greasy rag, there was food in the drain in the kitchen sink, the TV didn't work and there was black MOLD in the coffee pot. We were traveling with a 3 year old and a 9 month old and had to keep them isolated to the bed where we can only hope they had actually changed the sheets. This made our stay absolutely miserable.
As it was late, there wasn't anything we could do that night so we went to bed. When we got up the next morning, 7/4, my husband went down to talk to someone at the desk. The lady he spoke to was very apologetic and assured us that she would have someone come first thing on 7/5 (since 7/4 was a holiday) to do a thorough cleaning and to repair the TV. Not ideal but since we were going to be in DC all day we thought we'd tough it out.
On 7/5 we got up and gathered all our things and got them off the floor (the lady at the front desk had told us to do that so housekeeping could clean). Around 12:00 or so a very nice man came to fix the TV. He ended up having to replace the whole thing. We left around 1:00...still no one had come to clean the room. As we were leaving the same lady at the front desk asked us if we were happy now. We told her no one had come yet and she said she would check on it. We left assuming they would come while we were gone but that didn't happen. Let me just say no one ever came to clean the room and judging from the state it was when we checked in, probably still hasn't. I feel sorry for the next guest.
As it stood when we left, the manager had refunded us for one night of our four night stay but that was it. No one ever cleaned the room. I'm sure that with the MOLD we saw, there was some type of health code violation.
I have NOTHING positive to say about our experience whatsoever. The stay here really put a damper on our entire trip and I'm sorry we stayed after the first night and trusted them to take care of the issues in the room.
This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.