“Solid mid-scale Marriott” 4 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Chennai (Madras), India
“Solid mid-scale Marriott”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

Our company had a number of employees travelling on work to Bethesda. We were looking for extended stay suites with kitchenettes and the TownePlace Gaithersburg offered the best deal.

Pros:
1. Perfectly efficient, friendly and attentive staff at the front desk and in housekeeping. I faced no billing problems despite frequently switching credit cards.

2. Free wifi in the rooms, and a printer in the lobby.

3. Well maintained facilities. All the laundry machines and driers were in working order throughout the stay, unlike some of their competitors’ properties. Washing and drying cost $1.50 each. I did have a problem with the heater in my room which was quickly fixed.

4. The property is close to Lakeforest mall. Walkable on a good day.

Cons:

1. There is only a single bathroom for a two bedroom suite. Obviously a hygiene issue when more than one person is using it.

2. The lack of a hot breakfast was bothersome. The only hot item at breakfast is…hot water, that you mix with your oatmeal. There is a fixed offering of muffins, danish pastries, cereals, cold milk, juice and fruits, besides 24-hour coffee.

3. The two bedrooms are of unequal sizes. The smaller one is too tiny to accommodate a work table and chair, and therefore the occupant of that room needs to use the table in the living area.

To be fair, many of the above are brand standards and the individual property has little control over them.

A taxi from Dulles costs $70. Toiletries are by Paul Mitchell. A copy of USA Today can be picked up from the lobby. Overall. I had a nice stay with good value for money.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business

51 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Aiken, South Carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

I was very disappointed with this hotel, and it was not at all up to the quality level of the typical Marriott property. It looks great from the outside but is very cheap on the inside (e.g., plastic doors and cabinets, only 2 spoons in the kitchen). For the complimentary breakfast, they served instant oatmeal, yogurt, pre-packaged pastries, cereal/milk, juice, coffee, and fruit. Again, not nearly as good as is available from other Marriott properties.
Additionally, it was not obvious from the website (unless you check the fact sheet) that a fee was required for a pet - $100 which is more than the cost of a room. Had I known the fee was so high, I would have stayed at the Hilton down the room; their pet fee is only $50 and is noted very obviously on their website.
I would not recommend this property.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
North Dartmouth, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

We chose to stay here because it offered a two bedroom suite at a very reasonable price when we went to Maryland for a family engagement party. The staff were extremely friendly and helpful - thanks Sunny!!! We requested an early check in after a 7 hour drive to our destination and they were more than happy to accommodate our request. We found our room to be clean and beautiful. As soon as we got in our room there was a knock on our door to see if everything was alright and asked if we needed anything. After our party, we came back to the hotel and my family all gathered around the outdoor fireplace and enjoyed being together - it made for a wonderful memory. The outdoor patio closed at 11:00 pm and we asked the staff if it was alright if we hanged out a little longer. They were so friendly and said that since we were quite we were more than welcome to stay and they were happy to see us enjoying the space. Upon check out the staff were just as friendly and helpful as they had been the entire stay. I totally recommend this hotel for all!!!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Ontario
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012

I have stayed at a Townsplace before in Erie PA, and loved it!!! So I was happy to go here, but it was older than that property and had no pool:( The staff was great, and so helpful. They informed us we could use the Holiday Inn's pool around the corner, as we were very disappointed about no pool...(I should have researched better) The breakfast is very continental and because of the lack of pool and lack of hot breakfast I would choose another hotel. I ultimately chose this one for the two-bedrooms, but the room was 202 and is right behind the stairwell for the entrance and I heard the door shutting all-night long (even with ear plugs in). Breakfast included juice, milk, cereal, and high fat pastries........and no sitting area either so you bring it to your room, which is ok since they have tables & chairs in the rooms. The Holiday Inn is close, but when I went to use the pool, it was closed for a wedding!!!! So we had to go back at 8pm, and then the hot-tub was filled with the wedding guests still!!! The staff saved this hotel from being a disaster. But I must say it was clean, which is more important than anything else mentioned! Oh, and it is a good value too!

Room Tip: Away from stairwells, and entrances....i.e not 202!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Bloomington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

Checked in early without any problems from staff. No regular rooms were available, so staff upgraded me to a two bedrooms suite. 1st hotel I've been in with an actually oven, which is a nice feature if you get tired of eating out.

• Stayed September 2012
OH
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2012

I had to stay at TownePlace Suites for approximately 11 days because my minor sons were relocating to Rockville, MD for school. The location was close to restaurants, groceries and the interstate. When I arrived, I found the front desk staff friendly and helpful. The room was comfortable and more importantly--clean! The laundy facility, automatic dishwasher, full refrig/freezer, stove and oven, Direct TV and a nice flat screen TV made me feel at home. I was able to connect to Wi-Fi immediately to do work. The cooking utensils and appliances were awesome. The stove and oven allowed me to eat healthy instead of eating fast food was a definite bonus. I even baked cookies for my boys. Housekeeping came by everyday to meet my needs. Whether I needed the entire suite cleaned or just fresh towels, they were there with a smile and pleasant attitude. They even made a vacuum available for me when I asked. Things I feel need to be improved upon is the heating system. I couldn't get a consistent temperature at night. I had to wake up a few nights to adjust the room temp. The other issue is the work out room. The work out area is smaller than the suites. Much smaller than what I'm used too. Not many machines as well. Other than that, the stay was very nice!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012

This hotel is in a quiet location in Giathersburg - off the beaten track. You'll have to drive to restaurants, shopping, etc.

The hotel is clean and spacious. The only minor complaints - no kleenex/tissues and no hooks in the bathroom for hanging a bathrobe or clothes while showering. Speaking of showering, the shower curtain rod was curved so the shower curtain gaped, which resulted in water on the floor. \

All the staff were extremely helpful and friendly.

There is no breakfast room per se. A limited selection of breakfast items is put out each morning. If you want something slightly more substantial than a danish, fruit and cereal, you'll have to hop in your car and drive to a restaurant. Coffee is always on, and it's fresh, which is a nice plus.

Each room in the suite has a nice flat screen TV. That would be a plus if you were traveling with a family and had a 2 bedroom suite.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Been to TownePlace Suites Gaithersburg? Share your experiences!