“A Hidden Gem” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 15 Hotels in Gaithersburg
Hartsdale, New York
“A Hidden Gem”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2014

We attended a wedding last weekend and the choice was excellent. Check in was easy and accommodating. We had a lovely room with a view overlooking the lake. It was such a pleasure after a six hour drive to walk right outside and have everything at our fingertips from dining to shopping. Having restaurants, shops and a movie theater situated around a beautiful lake was amazing. There was even a live band by the lake at night
I cannot say enough about the staff. Ned was exceptional and took care of any need we had.He really is an ambassador for the hospitality business. I also want to give a shout out to Wade,Michael and Lindsey who also addressed our needs throughout the weekend.
We will definitely return if we are in the area.

Room Tip: Request one overlooking the lake
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Mario L, Manager at Gaithersburg Marriott Washingtonian Center, responded to this review, June 22, 2014
Thank you for staying at the Gaithersburg Marriott Washingtonian Center while you attended a wedding. Looks like the staff at our hotel along with our location, contributed to making your stay excellent. We look forward to seeing you again in the future and thank you for providing your review on TripAdvisor.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
Oakville, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2014

Staff were exceptionally friendly during check in and were very helpful at suggesting surrounding activities and options for eating etc. I was only staying here one night on business, so was looking for some decent sleep and this was a fantastic bed - I could barely get out of it in the morning I was so comfortable.

The soda / pop machine on my floor was broken, which was annoying, though they have a little shop by reception so I was still able to get something. Also, the water did not drain well at this hotel in my room; I really hate that though I know many hotels have a lot of trouble with that. I usually try to mention it but didn't have time today.

Also, as with most Mariott's this hotel charges for phone and internet. Ridiculous in 2014; so cheap to provide and such a necessity. Oh well, just used the hotspot in my phone as everyone should when a hotel charges for internet. A smarter way is to offer basic internet for free, and charge for high speed. That seems much more reasonable to me.

Would happily recommend this hotel it is in a nice location and has a lake beside it, with lots of shops etc nearby.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Mario L, Manager at Gaithersburg Marriott Washingtonian Center, responded to this review, June 15, 2014
Thank you for reviewing the hotel on Tripadvisor. I do apologize that the beverage machine was not working on your floor. I also wanted to note that in the restaurant and lobby area, we offer complimentary high speed internet. Thank you for choosing the Gaithersburg Marriott Washingtonian Center Hotel and please stay with us again. Please contact me with any questions.
Austin, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2014 via mobile

We really enjoyed our one night stay. Good service, nice room and great location for enjoying the Rio Washingtonian Center. Great morning breakfast buffet! The only drawback for us was that there was no pool.

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for staying at the Gaithersburg Marriott Washingtonian Center Hotel and reviewing us on Tripadvisor. Our breakfast buffet has a lot of selections and we are glad that you enjoyed it. Also, approximately two years ago the hotel was renovated and the indoor pool was removed so our guests could host events in our new Lakeside Ballroom. Please contact me with any questions. Thank you again for your business and we look forward to seeing you again.
Jacksonville, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2014

I loved the location of the hotel. I really did not mind the parking situation. I have plenty of patience and parked all the way at the top which made it easy to get to and from my car, and I felt safe walking to and from during the day and night. The hotel has an awesome pool with a Jacuzzi and both were heated so it was a great time to relax my sore muscles from mountain biking.
You will find everything you need at this place, literally, shopping, food, beer, wine, awesome views of the lake. The bad side was the customer service. I booked through Priceline and after staying my 2 nights I went to check out and the woman at the front desk said I did not rate to use my rewards card. Which was shocking and very disappointing. I always use my rewards card and this was the first time it was not honored. She seemed not a bit concerned since I was leaving. Can someone give me in writing the rules and policy on booking through a 3rd party? Otherwise she just has bad customer service and will not be staying again.

Room Tip: Ensure to request a room with the view.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
The Gaithersburg Marriott Washingtonian Center Hotel does accept Marriott Rewards Cards. I also wanted to mention that we do not have an indoor pool which you referred to in your tripadvisor response. Please contact me directly so I can provide you with information on rules and policies on booking through a 3rd party. Thank you for choosing to stay with Marriott.
New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2014

Had to stay here as it was mandatory for a sports tournament event was registered at to play in the area over memorial weekend.
Did I say nothing spectacular? Yes and it was… let’s just agree a forgettable experience.
For $150/night and not to have enough towels in your room… not even soap bar, and even worse when called to order they bring soap bar, they came to our room in a few minutes with 10shower gel, as I reminded the gentleman that came up that our need was that of soap bars, he simply said “No one knows where they are and this is what I had” how can not one person inside this hotel have any clue where the soap bars are put away when the crew goes home??? Ridiculous!!!! And yet the three nights we stayed not one person came over with the soap bars, I guess they were saving them. No idea.
Day 2, I take a shower, my son takes a shower, then my husband… and he starts calling me… I rush to the bathroom and to point out to me, the water on the tub is still there as the drainage does not work GREAT! Just what I need, call again front desk and a repairman is sent over… so never knew how long it took him, for we had to go. All I know is that it was fixed, still how could this happen in a hotel that given where it is situated, they need to be able to support many people taking showers at the same time and tub should NEVER clog!!
Rooms were smaller than average as in between beds barely room to walk and one of the beds was practically by the wall. Basically rooms are tight, for what we are used to seeing.
Overall a forgettable experience, never what to have to go back!
Only positive location, there were several restaurants in the area. But then again we have a car, so we could have driven to any restaurant we wanted.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Mario L, Manager at Gaithersburg Marriott Washingtonian Center, responded to this review, June 1, 2014
Thank you for your feedback and comments about your recent stay. I'm sorry to hear that your stay with us was a “very forgettable experience.” We pride ourselves on outstanding customer service and providing an exceptional stay for all our guests and clearly we did not deliver for you. If you visit the Gaithersburg, Maryland area again, please consider staying with us so we can make your future stay a memorable one.
Damascus, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

I recently stayed here with my family for my cousins wedding over Memorial weekend. I was part of the bridal party and not to mention my mom was building the centerpieces for this thing so I was very worried that something wasn't going to get done or we weren't going to be accommodated. Boy was I wrong! First, I want to give a shout out to Uncle Raymond! Holla! He was awesome! He made sure my mom and I had everything we needed while creating those centerpieces! He checked up on us constantly and was so so friendly!!!!! Second, Wade at the front desk! You are awesome my man! You did what my mom needed and asked without hesitation! and last but certainly not least, Carter!!!!! You may be my brother's roommate but boy you came into that meeting room at the RIGHT time! My mom and I were having the worst time putting that darn tree together for the wedding and you just swopped in and did it in 2 seconds LOL thanks! besides the AMAZING staff and employees the food and rooms are also swell! I must say as soon as my head hit those fluffy pillows I was out like a light!!! and the food at the restaurant downstairs was good! While I was working on the flowers I order the sweet potato ravioli and it was great! So definitely recommending this hotel! ad I would definitely stay here again! P.S. - HI CARTER! :)

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Thank you for reviewing the hotel on Tripadvisor. We are excited that your stay was "Awesome" and you thought the staff was "Amazing". We have a great team here and I'm so glad that we exceeded your expectations. Thank you for staying at the Gaithersburg Marriott Washingtonian Center Hotel for your cousins wedding over Memorial Day weekend. We look forward to seeing you again in the near future. Please contact me with any questions or feedback.
Charlotte, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2014

What a wonderful stay at the Washingtonian Gaithersburg! We were in town recently for my husband's graduation from UMUC and chose to both stay and host his graduation happy hour at the hotel.

I don't even know where to begin! But I'll start with the hotel restaurant. Allison was a delight to deal with!
She made our event so special, everyone had a great time- including the 6 kids! The food and service were great! They even provided cake cutting service. Honestly, I'm thinking of returning for all of our events. Allison even hand-wrote a thank you note for having our event at the restaurant! What excellent customer service!

Customer Service- At the front desk Carter was very professional, friendly and helpful. Andrea who gave me great ideas on how to save on my room service. I like that they address you by name when you call the front desk.

Rooms- We enjoyed sleeping in our king sized bed in a room that looked to be brand new! I love the chair with ottoman in the room, so relaxing and comfortable. We loved the Thann bath products so much, we've already ordered from the website and are using in home. Both the bathroom and sleeping room are good sizes.

Hotel location- The location is good, near lots of shops, restaurants, paddle boat and a movie theater. The hotel has a wonderful patio/deck and sits on the edge of a lake with a nice walking trail.

Our wknd price per night was under $100, so you definitely can't beat the price for such 4-star accommodations.

The only downside is that the wifi is expensive!! As in NOT free! That was a downer, but not necessarily a deal break- just something to keep in mind.

Overall it was outstanding and we will definitely stay everytime we come in town!

Many thanks to Allison, Carter and Andrea! You guys are awesome!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Congratulations on your husband's graduation from UMUC. Thank you for choosing to stay at the Gaithersburg Marriott Washingtonian Center Hotel for this special occasion. It's wonderful to read that your stay was "fantastic". Please stay with us again in the future and thank you again for choosing our hotel. Please contact me with any feedback.

Been to Gaithersburg Marriott Washingtonian Center? Share your experiences!