“Great location, great view. Would not honor Marriott Rewards card.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Gaithersburg Marriott Washingtonian Center

Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points
Ranked #4 of 15 hotels in Gaithersburg
Jacksonville, North Carolina
“Great location, great view. Would not honor Marriott Rewards card.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2014

I loved the location of the hotel. I really did not mind the parking situation. I have plenty of patience and parked all the way at the top which made it easy to get to and from my car, and I felt safe walking to and from during the day and night. The hotel has an awesome pool with a Jacuzzi and both were heated so it was a great time to relax my sore muscles from mountain biking.
You will find everything you need at this place, literally, shopping, food, beer, wine, awesome views of the lake. The bad side was the customer service. I booked through Priceline and after staying my 2 nights I went to check out and the woman at the front desk said I did not rate to use my rewards card. Which was shocking and very disappointing. I always use my rewards card and this was the first time it was not honored. She seemed not a bit concerned since I was leaving. Can someone give me in writing the rules and policy on booking through a 3rd party? Otherwise she just has bad customer service and will not be staying again.

Room Tip: Ensure to request a room with the view.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Mario L, Manager at Gaithersburg Marriott Washingtonian Center, responded to this review, June 15, 2014
The Gaithersburg Marriott Washingtonian Center Hotel does accept Marriott Rewards Cards. I also wanted to mention that we do not have an indoor pool which you referred to in your tripadvisor response. Please contact me directly so I can provide you with information on rules and policies on booking through a 3rd party. Thank you for choosing to stay with Marriott.

164 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2014

Had to stay here as it was mandatory for a sports tournament event was registered at to play in the area over memorial weekend.
Did I say nothing spectacular? Yes and it was… let’s just agree a forgettable experience.
For $150/night and not to have enough towels in your room… not even soap bar, and even worse when called to order they bring soap bar, they came to our room in a few minutes with 10shower gel, as I reminded the gentleman that came up that our need was that of soap bars, he simply said “No one knows where they are and this is what I had” how can not one person inside this hotel have any clue where the soap bars are put away when the crew goes home??? Ridiculous!!!! And yet the three nights we stayed not one person came over with the soap bars, I guess they were saving them. No idea.
Day 2, I take a shower, my son takes a shower, then my husband… and he starts calling me… I rush to the bathroom and to point out to me, the water on the tub is still there as the drainage does not work GREAT! Just what I need, call again front desk and a repairman is sent over… so never knew how long it took him, for we had to go. All I know is that it was fixed, still how could this happen in a hotel that given where it is situated, they need to be able to support many people taking showers at the same time and tub should NEVER clog!!
Rooms were smaller than average as in between beds barely room to walk and one of the beds was practically by the wall. Basically rooms are tight, for what we are used to seeing.
Overall a forgettable experience, never what to have to go back!
Only positive location, there were several restaurants in the area. But then again we have a car, so we could have driven to any restaurant we wanted.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Mario L, Manager at Gaithersburg Marriott Washingtonian Center, responded to this review, June 1, 2014
Thank you for your feedback and comments about your recent stay. I'm sorry to hear that your stay with us was a “very forgettable experience.” We pride ourselves on outstanding customer service and providing an exceptional stay for all our guests and clearly we did not deliver for you. If you visit the Gaithersburg, Maryland area again, please consider staying with us so we can make your future stay a memorable one.
Damascus, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

I recently stayed here with my family for my cousins wedding over Memorial weekend. I was part of the bridal party and not to mention my mom was building the centerpieces for this thing so I was very worried that something wasn't going to get done or we weren't going to be accommodated. Boy was I wrong! First, I want to give a shout out to Uncle Raymond! Holla! He was awesome! He made sure my mom and I had everything we needed while creating those centerpieces! He checked up on us constantly and was so so friendly!!!!! Second, Wade at the front desk! You are awesome my man! You did what my mom needed and asked without hesitation! and last but certainly not least, Carter!!!!! You may be my brother's roommate but boy you came into that meeting room at the RIGHT time! My mom and I were having the worst time putting that darn tree together for the wedding and you just swopped in and did it in 2 seconds LOL thanks! besides the AMAZING staff and employees the food and rooms are also swell! I must say as soon as my head hit those fluffy pillows I was out like a light!!! and the food at the restaurant downstairs was good! While I was working on the flowers I order the sweet potato ravioli and it was great! So definitely recommending this hotel! ad I would definitely stay here again! P.S. - HI CARTER! :)

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Thank you for reviewing the hotel on Tripadvisor. We are excited that your stay was "Awesome" and you thought the staff was "Amazing". We have a great team here and I'm so glad that we exceeded your expectations. Thank you for staying at the Gaithersburg Marriott Washingtonian Center Hotel for your cousins wedding over Memorial Day weekend. We look forward to seeing you again in the near future. Please contact me with any questions or feedback.
Charlotte, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2014

What a wonderful stay at the Washingtonian Gaithersburg! We were in town recently for my husband's graduation from UMUC and chose to both stay and host his graduation happy hour at the hotel.

I don't even know where to begin! But I'll start with the hotel restaurant. Allison was a delight to deal with!
She made our event so special, everyone had a great time- including the 6 kids! The food and service were great! They even provided cake cutting service. Honestly, I'm thinking of returning for all of our events. Allison even hand-wrote a thank you note for having our event at the restaurant! What excellent customer service!

Customer Service- At the front desk Carter was very professional, friendly and helpful. Andrea who gave me great ideas on how to save on my room service. I like that they address you by name when you call the front desk.

Rooms- We enjoyed sleeping in our king sized bed in a room that looked to be brand new! I love the chair with ottoman in the room, so relaxing and comfortable. We loved the Thann bath products so much, we've already ordered from the website and are using in home. Both the bathroom and sleeping room are good sizes.

Hotel location- The location is good, near lots of shops, restaurants, paddle boat and a movie theater. The hotel has a wonderful patio/deck and sits on the edge of a lake with a nice walking trail.

Our wknd price per night was under $100, so you definitely can't beat the price for such 4-star accommodations.

The only downside is that the wifi is expensive!! As in NOT free! That was a downer, but not necessarily a deal break- just something to keep in mind.

Overall it was outstanding and we will definitely stay everytime we come in town!

Many thanks to Allison, Carter and Andrea! You guys are awesome!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Congratulations on your husband's graduation from UMUC. Thank you for choosing to stay at the Gaithersburg Marriott Washingtonian Center Hotel for this special occasion. It's wonderful to read that your stay was "fantastic". Please stay with us again in the future and thank you again for choosing our hotel. Please contact me with any feedback.
Red Lion, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2014

We love this hotel! We have made many visits in the last 15 or so years and have seen many changes with it and the surrounding area. Located just off I-270,this hidden gem is on the quiet end of the lake, but within walking distance of restaurants, a movie theater complex, and lots of shopping. There are also children's activities close by that include a playground, train ride, paddle boats and soon-to-open carousel. Easy commute to subway station too if you'd like to go into DC. The staff at the Marriott are very welcoming and accommodating. Many recognize us from previous visits. We love the Stay for Breakfast rate because it includes a delicious breakfast buffet with many options including an omelet/waffle station. The rooms are comfortable, clean and spacious. It's only 2 hours away for us and allows us to have a nice, leisurely weekend away.
We can't wait to come and stay again!

Room Tip: Choose a room on a higher floor with a lakeside view. It's amazing!
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Old Saybrook, Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2014

You can't beat the location. Its in a complex surrounded by a lake, restaurants, boardwalk, and shopping. We got a great rate with AAA. Request higher level room with view of lake. Negatives- beds have a temperpedic mattress that I thought I'd love, but I hated it (way too firm). Also, breakfast is not included and way too expensive. Otherwise, would definitely recommend. I would just not stay again because of the mattress.

• Stayed April 2014
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2014

Greatly enjoyed this hotel. Fitness room is open 24 hours for those who wake up at 5 am, like me!
No pool, but situated on the manmade lake at the Rio complex in Gaithersburg with a nice trail around the lake. Many stores and restaurants within walking distance to choose from.
Very nice room with a view of the lake. Especially comfortable bed. Looking forward to coming back here on my next visit to the DC area!

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of the lake.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Gaithersburg Marriott Washingtonian Center? Share your experiences!