“Great location, but just a couple negatives” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save up to 20% off
Ranked #4 of 15 Hotels in Gaithersburg
Old Saybrook, Connecticut
“Great location, but just a couple negatives”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2014

You can't beat the location. Its in a complex surrounded by a lake, restaurants, boardwalk, and shopping. We got a great rate with AAA. Request higher level room with view of lake. Negatives- beds have a temperpedic mattress that I thought I'd love, but I hated it (way too firm). Also, breakfast is not included and way too expensive. Otherwise, would definitely recommend. I would just not stay again because of the mattress.

• Stayed April 2014

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2014

Greatly enjoyed this hotel. Fitness room is open 24 hours for those who wake up at 5 am, like me!
No pool, but situated on the manmade lake at the Rio complex in Gaithersburg with a nice trail around the lake. Many stores and restaurants within walking distance to choose from.
Very nice room with a view of the lake. Especially comfortable bed. Looking forward to coming back here on my next visit to the DC area!

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of the lake.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2014

I love this hotel and location - situated in Rio Washingtonian area. I have stayed in dozens of hotels all over DC area in the past year and this is a favorite. The rooms are new and modern. Extremely clean. I haven't eaten here but the bar area is very chic, with reasonably priced happy hour specials. With so many other venues within close walking distance I suppose prices must be competitive rather than the usual over-priced hotel restaurant/bar. Plenty of free parking. Nice gym. My room overlooked a nice lagoon surrounded by walking path. Everything you need is walking distance. I will return.

Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2014

Stayed here for a few days whilst on business in the area but I also extended my stay for a couple of days to go and see some of DC. I cant think of anything negative to say about the hotel. The staff were all very friendly and helpful, at one stage I enquired about laundry facilities and instead of only being offered the expensive "sending off to the cleaners" option, reception kindly pointed me to the Marriott suites hotel along the road which has coin op washing machines available - I caculated that that little bit of information saved me around $50.

The food at the hotel was nice too, breakfast is "buffet" style and offers a range of hot and cold items (I can recommend the Granola with fresh fruit) I only had one evening meal there but that too was really nice.

As others have said the hotel complex is adjacent to a shopping / entertainment centre which caters for a range of cuisines with menus to suit all budgets.

The hotel makes a good base for touring the area too, it's only 2 or 3 miles from Shady Grove metro station which makes for a good journey into the centre of DC. Given where Gaithersburg sits in Maryland, the hotel is ideally situated for trips into Virginia / West Verginia too.

I would certainly stay again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the lake
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Jay-AGM, Manager at Gaithersburg Marriott Washingtonian Center, responded to this review, March 24, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to submit your review of the Gaithersburg Marriott Washingtonian Center on TripAdvisor. I agree that our staff and location are two of the "jewels" of the hotel and I'm glad you got to experience both. We'll look forward to welcoming you back on your next trip to the area.

Regards,
Maryland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2014

We stayed at this hotel for multiple nights last summer and have returned for a two-night stay this spring. The internet service this time around is excruciatingly slow this time around. We can barely connect one laptop let alone two, and the first runs very slowly. The front desk sent someone up to have a look but he didn't seem to really know what to do about it. The hotel is not busy at all so it's not a matter of many guests slowing down the service. Very disappointing for a hotel that aspires to serving business guests regularly. Although I'm traveling with my family, I'm unable to get the work I need to do done in an expeditious manner due to the slow internet service. Had we not been able to stay on a free night promotion this would have been a total waste of money; the going rate for a Monday night stay was nearly $250. And as a Gold member I receive free internet, but had we paid a la carte it would have been pointless.

This is really a shame because the staff here are generally quite friendly and helpful and the hotel is nicely situated near the Rio complex in Gaithersburg. But note there is no pool--not a plus for families.

Room Tip: Rooms farther down the hall away from the elevator toward the highway have a better view down the la...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Thank you for your feedback and comments about your recent stay. I'm sorry to hear that there were troubles with the internet speed. We pride ourselves on being able to provide amenities that our business and leisure travelers can use while staying with us. I'll review your notes with my team to see if we can troubleshoot and figure out a permanent solution to the internet access points. Should you have any additional feedback or questions, please feel free to contact me directly at the hotel.

Regards,
301-590-0044
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2014

We just got back from a great weekend in Gaithersburg, MD. for a family party. We chose this hotel because it was very close to the party. This hotel is set in a beautiful little shopping area and ia located on a walkway along the water. When we arrived the weather was beautiful and we went for a walk along the water. After our rough winter here, it was a pleasant experience to walk and enjoy the view.
The room and the facilities were perfect. The staff was great. The prices were more than reasonable. We will stay here again.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Jay-AGM, Manager at Gaithersburg Marriott Washingtonian Center, responded to this review, March 12, 2014
Thank you for sharing your thoughts on TripAdvisor. I'm happy to see that you enjoyed your stay and that our staff was able to exceed your expectations. I'll be sharing this with them as an example of how we've been able to go above and beyond. We'll look forward to seeing you again soon.

Billings, Montana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2014

I appreciate the friendly staff, the clean rooms and the proximity to the little lake, but this hotel is definitely more convenient if you are traveling by car than by Metro. Other nearby hotels such as the Comfort Inn Shady Grove offer free shuttle service to the Metro. It is about a 20 dollar cab ride from this hotel to the Shady grove Metro if you include the tip, which adds up quickly. Offering a free shuttle to the Metro would be a great addition. There is a public bus from the Metro during the day but no one at the hotel was able to tell me the bus number so I had to keep asking the bus drivers at the station until I found the right one. Apparently there are 2 separate bus systems...Also, there is no shuttle service available to any of the airports so be prepared to spend 50 or 60 dollars on a cab to DCA.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the lake and not the freeway.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Jay-AGM, Manager at Gaithersburg Marriott Washingtonian Center, responded to this review, March 9, 2014
Thank you for posting your review of our hotel on TripAdvisor. I'm sorry you weren't able to take advantage of our complimentary hotel shuttle. It runs weekdays in the peak AM and PM "rush-hour" time periods. Next time you're at the hotel, please let us know of your schedule and we'll do our best to coordinate for you.

Best regards,
Director of Hotel Operations

Been to Gaithersburg Marriott Washingtonian Center? Share your experiences!