“I'm Glad I Accepted This Gift for One Night's Stay” 4 of 5 stars

Special Price
3-Night Stays: Save 15%
Ranked #4 of 15 hotels in Gaithersburg
Gaithersburg, Maryland
“I'm Glad I Accepted This Gift for One Night's Stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2013

This hotel is quite near to my house. I also have a lake in my backyard so when I was offered a one-night stay at the Marriott Washingtonian Center, I had to think about it. Am I glad I took this gift from my generous sister!

What really made me decide to stay here was the convenience of the theaters near it and the oh so many dining places. Cafe de Luxe, Nando's Peri Peri, and California Kitchen are my favorites! So I asked a girlfriend to join me that night and she was happy to do it. We needed to be away from house chores and just have fun. Sometimes also away from your good husband. Girls should also have a night out.

You don't need to be on vacation to stay here. I think all of us needs a break once in a while where our bedroom is made up the next day and you can get service any time of the day or night. Since it's near our neighborhood, Rio is a place frequented by friends. That night, we had some visitors who ate dinner there and they visited us in our hotel room on the 9th floor. They loved the view from our hotel especially that you can see the water and the trees from afar bursting in fall colors. We had a great time with friends and then my 11 year old nephew called and asked us to join them for dinner at California Kitchen. All we had to do was walk out of our hotel and we were there in less than 5 minutes.

Later, we decided to see a movie at 9:15 p.m. We saw "Great Expectations" and not really our type of movie. There was only two of us and later two more came for a total of 6 for the entire viewing of that movie. It just wasn't our type of movie at all. But the movie did pick up after a long while. Thank God I wasn't going to drive home since home that night was Marriott hotel and we were spared from driving to our real homes.

When we got to the hotel and getting ready to sleep, I noticed the comforters! They don't use those bulky comforters anymore and the color was pure sparkling white you knew it was clean! These are my kind of comforters. I LOVE IT!

Dunes Manor Hotel in Ocean City did this too and got rid of those bulky comforters that probably don't get washed as often as we'd like. But these very thin covers were fantastic! The bed was very comfortable and my back was so happy sleeping in it. We really slept very well that night. We slept so good that I overslept. That never happens to me at home. My body has it's own built-in alarm clock and I wake up at 6:00 a.m. everyday even on weekends. By the time we finished dressing up, it was time to check out at noon.

So if you just want to have a night out with girlfriends, please do not hesitate to stay here. I strongly recommend it!

Room Tip: Get a room on the top floors for a good view.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Jay-AGM, Manager at Gaithersburg Marriott Washingtonian Center, responded to this review, November 22, 2013
Thanks so much for your detailed and thoughtful review of the Gaithesrburg Marriott. It's great to read a recap with such energy and excitement behind it such as yours. I'm so happy to see that you enjoyed your staycation! We'll look forward to seeing you again soon!

161 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Baltimore, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2013

Hotel room was great, food was excellent in the restaurant. Problem was with the bar. I was over charged 3 drinks and spoken to rudely by the female bartender while the male bartender just stood and watched. The women had a foul mouth with what was obviously regular customers because they didn't mind. I was called "honey" by the long haired women who I think was in charge. She did nothing to stop the vulgar conversation. To bad after all of the new renovations they didn't find good help. This wouldn't deter me from staying at the hotel but I will not return to the restaurant.

• Stayed October 2013
Jay-AGM, Manager at Gaithersburg Marriott Washingtonian Center, responded to this review, November 4, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments on TripAdvisor. I'm glad you enjoyed the hotel but was saddened to learn of your experience with our bar staff. I would like to speak with you more about this incident. Please feel free to reach out to me at the hotel at 301-590-0044, at your convenience so I can make sure to address this appropriately.

Williamsburg, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2013

This is a pretty average Marriot. I was here for 3 days for a workshop. The rooms were clean and the staff friendly. The furniture and TV were what you would expect. Below average in room coffee. Good security. There are computers and free WiFi in the lobby. Free parking. The mall area adjacent to the property is handy and has a movie theater and some decent restaurants that aren't too expensive. The property is quite attractive with a short lake walk available. The food in their own restaurant was average with medium prices. The catered breakfasts and lunches for our meeting were below average with stale bagels and grocery store quality sweet rolls. It is next to the Interstate highway but noise from that or the hallway did not seem to be an issue.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for sharing your feedback about your recent stay. I'm glad you enjoyed most of our hotel and am sorry to hear about the concerns regarding the meeting room food. I would like to discuss further with you so I can learn of the details to make sure this is addressed appropriately. Please feel free to reach out to me at the hotel at 301-590-0044.

Middletown, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2013

I have been visiting this hotel since the Rio next door was being constructed, a few+ years. Fifteen yrs ago, our daughter moved to the area and we used this hotel for her wedding room blocks and a hospitality suite for our guests. We have since stayed here off and on over the years and watched the area grow. This past weekend we were visiting and stayed for two evenings. On this visit we first took notice that the restaurant had been renovated, but I have no idea when, since we often arrive late and leave early. Despite renovations, basically nothing has changed. The friendly reception and service is the same, the beds still rate among the most comfortable. This very hotel is the one of the reasons we stay in Marriotts. The ability to walk around the "lake" for exercise, convenience of the entertainment center, cineplex, and restaurants only add to the location of this hotel.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Jay-AGM, Manager at Gaithersburg Marriott Washingtonian Center, responded to this review, October 28, 2013
It's so nice to hear how our hotel has been able to be a part of your lives over the years. Stories like yours are why it is our pleasure to serve our guests. Our new restaurant, The Bench, opened this past Spring along with our newly renovated lobby/greatroom and new Lakeside Ballroom. We're thrilled with the new space and I'm glad that you enjoyed it on your recent visit. We'll see you next time you're in Gaithersburg!

Director of Operations
Gaithersburg Marriott Washingtonian Center
new jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2013

We recently spent 2 nights at this Marriott for a family wedding. From the time of arrival - til departure we were treated graciously! The faciltly is very large, with meeting/venue rooms (we did not use or see the interior of these). Our room was on the 6th floor, parking lot view. IF you can...get a lake front...the view is nicer, but don't pay extra...not really worth it for the time you are in your room! We had adjoining rooms with my elderly mother, which worked out great. We had a king, and she had 2 queens. The queen room was slightly cramped and didn't have an ottoman, but did have a comfy desk chair and lounging chair as did the king. The bed was comfy. At this facilty you are linked to the Washingtonian Center, which is great asset! You can walk to several restaruants, Target, Dick's, Kohls along with several smaller shops! It is an easy walk with just a few steps to navigate. My 90 year old mother was able to handle it! In warmer weather there are "swan" boats to rent on the lake and a mini-train riding around. The area is offices, with many condo buildings around. I felt very safe here, even walking home from Target late at night! The motel has breakfast - we opted for the buffett...$18.95 and it had omletes and waffles made to order.... an off-the-menu omlete was $14.95 without juice or coffee or meat!! Overall this was a great place to stay. IF ever in the area again I would stay here.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for posting your feedback about the Gaithersburg Marriott Washingtonian Center on TripAdivsor. It's always nice to hear when we exceed our guests expectatoins. I'm thrilled to hear you enjoyed our newly revamped breakfast buffet on the weekend. We're proud of it as well and plan to continue to add new items to our weekend breakfast! I hope you'll come back to see the enhancements!

Thanks!
Montgomery, Alabama
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2013

I've stayed here a couple of years for an annual meeting. The hotel staff was VERY accommodating, even helping me get my new smart phone synced to their wi-fi. The restaurant is fine, although the breakfast buffet left me a little lighter in the pocket book. Meeting room facilities are comfortable, and the AV technician was A+. Of course, everything is within walking distance of shops, movies, and other restaurants, not to mention the walking track outside around the lake. If you're in the area, you can find less expensive accommodations, but if you're looking for a good meeting place, I highly recommend this location.

Room Tip: Ask for a view of the lake, but higher than the 3rd floor.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Jay-AGM, Manager at Gaithersburg Marriott Washingtonian Center, responded to this review, October 21, 2013
Thank you for posting your feedback on TripAdvisor. I'm happy to hear that our staff was able to exceed your expectations. We'll look forward to seeing you on your next visit to the area.

Brooklyn, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013

Stayed here for the weekend of a friends wedding. Hotel management assured my friends the hotel bar would stay open for the wedding party as an after party until 1am. This became an integral part of the wedding festivities based on there assurances. Do to some misunderstanding with someone in the bar, the bar manager; Janice Allen, decided that she was going to close the bar at 11:15pm and kicked the entire wedding party out of the bar (over 30 people) for no other reason we could tell besides she wanted to go home. My friends being the good spirited people they are then brought beers out onto a patio attached to the hotel so their friends could continue to enjoy the company of one another in a respectful and quiet manner. This was again to much for the hotel staff. They insinuated that they felt "threatened" by the wedding party and called in security to menace the bride and grooms family. The wedding party then proceeded to a hotel room and received not a single noise complaint (to give you an idea of the "rowdy" "threatening" behavior of this group of people who just wanted to celebrate). I would never travel to this hotel again for any reason. I am seriously considering moving my business out of the Marriott chain all together. If they find this type of rude, deceitful and unprofessional behavior acceptable from their employees it begs the question of where else their staffing is falling short.

I also found the hotel overpriced in all respects for the level of cleanliness, quality of food, and amenities. This hotel is at best a good roadside motel and they might consider hourly rates as that is about all the hotel is good for. I weep for the traveller that is stuck in this hotel run by this soul less group of unhappy monsters.

Room Tip: Stay at another hotel for a good room.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Jay-AGM, Manager at Gaithersburg Marriott Washingtonian Center, responded to this review, October 17, 2013
Mr. Zimbric - I appreciate your speaking with me earlier in the week and appreciate your feedback. As stated during our phone call, I'm happy to discuss this manner with you and have completed the follow up items you requested. Should you have any additional concerns, please do not hesitate to contact me at the hotel at 301-590-0044.

Director of Hotel Operations
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gaithersburg
Free Parking, M...
SpringHill Suites Gaithersburg
SpringHill Suites Gaithersburg
#9 of 15 in Gaithersburg
4.0 of 5 stars 97 reviews

Been to Gaithersburg Marriott Washingtonian Center? Share your experiences!