“excellent hotel but NO pool” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Earn Up To 25,000 Points
Ranked #4 of 15 hotels in Gaithersburg
Falls Church, Virginia
“excellent hotel but NO pool”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

The hotel was excellent however it's the first time I have been in a full service Marriott where there was no pool. Since it was around 90 out I truly missed it.

Pros
nice room, very clean typical Marriott Concierge level room
located next to a mall with loads of restaurants & a Target.
great restaurant food.
concierge lounge very good.
We got upgraded to a concierge level room.
manangement sent a complimentary snack tray to our room- a very nice gesture.
The general manager sent a welcoming email to us- great personal service.
Maria in the Concierge lounge was excellent & went out of her way for us.

Cons
restaurant was overwhelmed for breakfast since there was 2 huge wedding parties there & we couldn't get a seat & had to wait. Maybe they can have reservations for large parties & stagger them so other guests can have a seat also? Also noise level was very high in restaurant during this time. It was fine when we had dinner there.

Some of the front desk staff were not familiar with the area at all as they were foreigners. I asked how far it was to the outlets in Hagerstown, Antietam National park & Harpers Ferry national park but they had no clue what I was talking about. Please educate them about what's to see & do in the area. Each of those places was less than one hour from the hotel.

We thought the Concierge lounge was closed on July 4 but it was not. The front desk should inform guests if the lounge is open or closed for holidays.

We would definitely go back!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Jay-AGM, Manager at Gaithersburg Marriott Washingtonian Center, responded to this review, July 11, 2013
Thank you for your feedback and for posting a review on TripAdivsor. I appreciate your insight about making sure our Associates are knowledgeable about the area. Marriott provides itself in having a diverse workforce representative of the world we live in. With the recent events at various battlefields, it's an excellent opportunity for us to educate our team on the special events and historical sites in neighboring areas, outside of the Washiginton-DC metro region. We'll make sure to share the feedback with our team so we can continue to improve.

Best regards,

168 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
nj
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013

the hotel is average, staff is not responsive to needs..had to take my own bags and the bags of my 80 plus year old in laws up to the room using the hotels baggage dolly/cart...no bellhops?? Staff not knowledgable as regards marriott rewards packages..had to produce my emails as proof...Server in breakfast buffet only concerned with her tip, couldnt understand the concept of the hotel breakfast buffet coupons(we did have a large group/family 15-25)..Assured her we would tip, and were not out to beat the hotel of any monies. difficult to understand waitress. mgr. from Michigan very nice and cut thru red tape to accomodate properly and redeem the marriott name.....Rooms are average business rooms.. Only would stay if had to be in area again.

Room Tip: try to book the lake side rooms(odd rooms)
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Jay-AGM, Manager at Gaithersburg Marriott Washingtonian Center, responded to this review, July 10, 2013
Thank you for providing feedback about your stay on TripAdvisor. I'm sorry to hear we fell short of your expectatoins. I'd like to learn more about your experience to learn some specifics of how we can improve. Please feel free to contact me at the hotel directly at 301-590-0044, at your convenience.

Dallas, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

I stayed at this hotel several times. The location is great with a variety of shops and restaurants within walking distance from the hotel. This time I stayed at a hotel with a view of non-lakeside. The view was not good. I suggested asking the room with a view of lake side. The room is clean and the bed is comfortable. The staffs are very friendly and helpful. I forgot to take the shaver with me. The hotel provided me a complementary shaver. My stay was excellent.

Room Tip: room with a lake view
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Jay-AGM, Manager at Gaithersburg Marriott Washingtonian Center, responded to this review, June 25, 2013
Thank you for sharing your feedback about the Gaithersburg Marriott Washingtonian Center on TripAdvisor. It's always great to hear when we're able to exceed our guests expectations. I have shared your comments with our staff to make sure they hear the great things you've said and how they were able to go above and beyond for you. I'll look forward to seeing you on your next trip to Gaithersburg and the DC area.

Erie, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

Spent 3 nights here on business. It was great! Quiet, luxurious, the staff was amazingly courteous. I was carrying 2 coffees to my room, a staff member ran out from behind the desk to open the elevator and push my floor button. This is sort of amazing. We were greeted every evening when we came in, and every morning as we left. The view was green, lush, beautiful and there was lots of walking distance shopping and dining. Don't understand why the wifi charge and the iron was miserable. Otherwise, I will certainly stay there again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the lake.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Jay-AGM, Manager at Gaithersburg Marriott Washingtonian Center, responded to this review, June 7, 2013
Thank you for your response and review for your visit to the Gaithersburg Marriott Washingtonian Center. Our location at the Rio Entertainment Complex is one of our best assets, indeed. We are pleased to offer complimentary wi-fi in the public areas of the hotel including our lobby, The Bench restaurant, and lakeside patio. I'm sorry to hear about your iron and if you would like to contact me at the hotel directly, I'm happy to get some specific information from you so we can make sure to take a look at it. Most of all, I'm excited to hear you enjoyed all that the area has to offer and that our staff was able to anticipate your needs while our guest.

Thanks,

Pennington, New Jersey, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2013

Great location with shops and walks right next door. Rooms are large and very comfortable. Staff was wonderfully welcoming. My only two "buts" are the fact that they charge $12.95 for wifi (really??) and there is no swimming pool. The former oversight is just silly. Why does Marriott feel the need to nickel and dime its guests that way? Instead of paying, I went to the nearby Starbucks, where they treat their customers well (and have free wifi). With regard to the lack of a pool, it's really not a big deal... unless you have kids who would like to go for a swim. Otherwise, my stay was excellent.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
bashdup1980, Manager at Gaithersburg Marriott Washingtonian Center, responded to this review, June 3, 2013
Thank you for posting your review of the Gaithersburg Marriott Washingtonian Center on TripAdvisor. It's nice to hear from our guests and when we've exceeded expectations. I want to make sure to mention that while there is a fee for internet in the guestrooms, there is complimentary access to wi-fi in the lobby area, restaurant ,and also on our lakefront patio at all times. All guests are welcome to use this free service while in the hotel.

Thanks again,
Germantown, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013

Stayed at the Marriott Gaithersburg for 2 nights during my business trip to the area. My overall verdict - very professional and worth the stay!

Pros:
1. Close proximity to Gaithersburg, suburb of Washington DC.
2. Front desk and concierge very forthcoming, helpful and attentive.
3. The hotel and room decor is very modern.
4. The hotel in general and rooms are immaculately clean.
5. Concierge service on 10th floor opens at 6am-10pm with many appetizing and drink options.
6. Prompt check-in/check-out.
7. Had dinner at the restaurant and the food was tasty and flavorful.

Cons:
1. No free Wi-fi! Seriously? Every other hotel offers complimentary free WiFi nowdays!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Jay-AGM, Manager at Gaithersburg Marriott Washingtonian Center, responded to this review, May 28, 2013
Thank you for your feedback for the Gaithersburg Marriott Washingtonian Center. I'm happy to hear where we exceeded your expectations in many areas. For your next visit, please note that there is complimentary wi-fi access in the lobby and restaurant areas of the hotel. The fee for internet applies in the guestrooms and meeting space only.

Best regards and thank you again for sharing your feedback. I'll make sure our staff is recognized appropriately.

Anchorage, Alaska
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013 via mobile

Stayed at Marriott Gaithersburg before, during and after it's renovation. Just lovely. Everything is very modern and warm. The staff continues to be some of the most friendly and helpful I have encountered in my travels. The rooms are a good size and the beds very comfortable. Ask for a view of the lake . The food is very good at the restaurant and the bar was a fun place to be with prompt service. If doing breakfast, it can be a bit of a crush with the impression that wait staff was harried. There are other places to eat (and shop) through the Washingtonian complex if you desire but the food is quite tasty at the hotel. There is also free coffee in the rooms.
The exercise center is well equipped. The new business center - wonderful! Free printing for those last minute handouts was a great perk. Free wifi in the lobby as well as the business center.
This area has everything from clothes, food and movies to meet your needs. It's a great location for a meeting with a short cab ride to the Shady Grove metro.

Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Jay-AGM, Manager at Gaithersburg Marriott Washingtonian Center, responded to this review, May 23, 2013
Thank you so much for your glowing review of the Gaithersburg Marriott Washingtonian Center. I too agree that it's a special place and we have a great team of dedicated hospitaliy professionals that take care of our valued guests. I hope to meet you in person upon your next visit to Gaithersburg.

Thanks again,
Director of Hotel Operations

Been to Gaithersburg Marriott Washingtonian Center? Share your experiences!