“Great location, good food and friendly staff” 4 of 5 stars

Special Price
3-Night Stays: Save 15%
Ranked #4 of 15 hotels in Gaithersburg
Johannesburg, South Africa
“Great location, good food and friendly staff”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

The front desk staff are all friendly and helpful. They really seemed eager to please, for example, checking me in early and finding a good room. The Benches restaurant is very good; I ate breakfast and lunch there. The service was good and the food quality was very good. There was a wide selection of food available. The room was spacious and the bed and pillows were fantastic! Ask for a Lake View room but if you have a road side room which overlooks the freeway/parking lot, the rooms are soundproofed so it's not a concern. I loved the fact that the windows could open. The hotel is close to the Rio Centre where there are great restaurants and shops, as well as a lovely walk around a lake.

Room Tip: Lake side rooms have a great view
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Jay-AGM, Manager at Gaithersburg Marriott Washingtonian Center, responded to this review, May 20, 2013
Thank you so much for sharing your review on TripAdvisor about your stay with us at the Gaithersburg Marriott. I'm thrilled to hear you enjoyed a few meals at our new restaurant, The Bench! You'll have to make sure to come back when the weather is warmer to enjoy our lakeside patio!

Thanks again!

161 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Flower Mound, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

The hotel staff was exceptional. The Receptionist very helpful when we arrived.
Very good and balanced breakfast.
Outstanding location.
My kids loved Washington and this hotel has greatly contributed to this.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Jay-AGM, Manager at Gaithersburg Marriott Washingtonian Center, responded to this review, May 15, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post your comments on TripAdvisor. I'm so glad to see that your family enjoyed your vacation at the Gaithersburg Marriott Washingtonian Center. I hope you'll come back when your travels bring you to the area.

Regards,
new york city
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

I didn't have a choice in staying at this hotel: it was organized by my conference. But, my goodness, it is fabulous. If you need a hotel in this area, you will be very happy here. Let me single out one person at the front desk: Akil. A very professional young man who knows what the hospitality industry is all about. I had some specific requests for a room and he just found the best room for me. None of that "Let me see what I can do" of, worse, "No, not available." He just did his best with a smile. Though this Marriott is a bit isolated (the cab ride from the Shady Grove Metro cost $15 with tip), the Washingtonian Center is not bad. I recommend BGR for a quick burger that is excellent. For those particularly frugal (like me), there's a Target in this mall that has a large selection of groceries. Go! You'll be glad.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Jay-AGM, Manager at Gaithersburg Marriott Washingtonian Center, responded to this review, April 26, 2013
Thank you for sharing your feedback on TripAdvisor about your recent stay at the Gaithesrburg Marriott. I'm glad that Akil exceeded your expectations. He, along with all of our Associates, are our greatest assets and it's always great to hear when we've taken such great care with our valued guests. I'll make sure he is recognized appropriately. We'll look forward to seeing you again soon!

chelsea,me
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013 via mobile

I have stayed at this hotel three times and it is consistently welcoming, clean and updated. They have a restaurant and an outside deck overlooking a duck pond with surrounding gardens which is delightful. The meals are interesting and reasonable. This hotel is adjacent to other Marriott properties, restaurants, theaters and stores for shopping.

Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your review of the Gaitherburg Marriott on TripAdvisor. I'm glad you enjoyed our lakefront location in the Rio Complex. I look forward to seeing you on your next trip to Gaithersburg.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013 via mobile

Loved the surroundings and this hotel. I enjoyed the restaurant within the hotel as well as the staff. This hotel has the best gym ever! Make sure to bring your camera, outside offers a wonderful scenery for photography. I will be back!

• Stayed April 2013
Jay-AGM, Manager at Gaithersburg Marriott Washingtonian Center, responded to this review, April 22, 2013
Thank you for posting your thoughts about the Gaithersburg Marriott Washingtonian on TripAdvisor. I'm thrilled that you enjoyed your stay with us. I'll look forward to meeting you on your next trip to Gaithersburg!

-Jay Lefkowitz
San Diego, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

I spent one night here in March. I was actually mostly impressed by the surroundings. The hotel is located right next to a small lake. There are many resteraunts, shops, and a movie theatre right next to the lake. You can have a nice walk along the lake after the dinner if the weather is nice.

The hotel was under rennovation at the time of my stay, so there was not much a lobby. The guest room was pretty nice (just as you would expect from a full service Marrtiott).The staffs were extremely friendly!

There were four Marriott properties within walking distance of each other. So you can do some price checking to find out the right one for you.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Jay-AGM, Manager at Gaithersburg Marriott Washingtonian Center, responded to this review, April 11, 2013
Thank you for posting a review of the Gaithersburg Marriott Washingtonian Center on TripAdvisor. I agree that our surrounding area is one of the best assets of the hotel. From the location on the lake to the convenient walk to shopping and dining, it makes a business trip that much more enjoyable to have everything so close. Our renovation is finishing up and we've reopened our new lobby and new restaurant, The Bench! You'll have to check it out on your next visit to Gaithersburg.

Thanks again,
-Jay Lefkowitz
Las Vegas, Nevada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

Great location, with several good restaurants nearby (theirs is under construction and was a little pricey last years) and shopping including all the necessities of life: Target, Kohls, and a Barnes and Noble bookstore!
The renovations meant traipsing (quickly) via the outside entrance to the gym, and one of the meeting rooms had been converted to an impromptu bar and food service. The staff was really friendly and accommodating as a result. The front desk was also helpful but not too knowledgeable about the local bus line (so they have cars!) The construction noise was never evident. And there are fresh cookies or brownies every night at the desk. (Sometimes there is ice water with sliced lemons.)
There is a bus stop at the end of the sidewalk, the 64 bus goes directly to the nearest Metro station, and from there everything is handy. The hotel has a shuttle to Metro, but the bus has longer hours of operation and is $1.80 one way. You can't get a cab for that!
The rooms could still use new mattresses, and the air conditioning doesn't always get as cool as I like. This trip I just cracked open the window (no screens). Last year I had the end room on the hall and it "adjoined" another: no privacy in terms of sound. The halls are very straight and you can hear people from the minute they get off the elevator.
ALSO they host a lot of middle-school and younger sports and school events so some weeks there are a LOT of kids up and down the halls. Ask about this before you book.
I'm looking forward to next year.

Room Tip: They have a concierge floor if you follow Marriott. I choose "away from the lake" to avoid...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Jay-AGM, Manager at Gaithersburg Marriott Washingtonian Center, responded to this review, April 2, 2013
Thank you for sharing your experience at the Gaithersburg Marriott Washingtonian Center on TripAdvisor. I'm pleased to hear how well your stay went and that our staff was able to accommodate your requests. Our renovation is in the final stages and we are excited to welcome you back into our newly transformed lobby, restaurant, and Lakeside Ballroom. Please feel free to contact me at the hotel if I can be of any further assistance.

Regards,
Director of Hotel Operations

Been to Gaithersburg Marriott Washingtonian Center? Share your experiences!