“Solid Hotel in the Midst of Excellent Food and Retail” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points!
Ranked #3 of 15 Hotels in Gaithersburg
Greeley, Colorado
“Solid Hotel in the Midst of Excellent Food and Retail”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2012

The Gaithersburg Marriott provided an excellent stay with helpful staff, a comfortable room, and -best of all - great access to numerous restaurants with a variety of cuisine just moments away on foot. Oddly, this Marriott is located in an area well away from the Nation's capital, with no major landmark employer nearby, a legacy of a relationship with the local Sodexho office just down the street.

Despite its location being odd relative to local major offices, staying at the Marriott, my bed was comfortable, my room was comfortable, in the lobby is starbucks coffee, and frankly an overpriced hotel restaurant. I am not sure why anyone would patronize the in-house establishment with so many high quality dining options nearby.

The water pressure was nice in the morning, and while the room service menu is small, both the breakfast and dinner I ordered at different times over my stay were pretty good, and little more exhorbitant than a trip to the restaurant down stairs would have been.

On that note, one thing future travellers should note: this property has an awful habit of making follow up calls for room service. I call, i ask for pillows. Someone knocks on my door and brings me pillows. I get a call 10 or 15 minutes later asking if I got my pillows. I call, I ask for breakfast. Someone brings my breakfast 30 or 40 minutes later. Some time after that, someone calls to ask if I got my breakfast and I like it.

I am sorry but it was just annoying! It stops the process of going about whatever else I am doing, or, in one case, woke up my 4 month old daughter. Its just unnecessary. If I don't have my pillows or breakfast, or whatever 30 minutes later, chances are I can pick up the same phone that I used to order them to repeat my request.

The reason that I really like to stay at this property is that its enough off the beaten track that prices are pretty good, but part of the larger Washingtonian Center! There are so many restaurants with a wide variety of food types, many of them good, plus great shopping just a few minutes away. And, while the fitness center itself is kind of small, the hotel backs up to the Washingtonian center's man-made lake, which includes a walking trail all of the way around, great for walking or jogging when the weather was decent.

All in all, I would call the room a good value, and a pretty good sleep, and except for the annoying repeat calls, and the unaccountably high lobby restaurant prices, its a great place to stay in a few weeks when I need to come back!

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the elevators. The 2-hallway spoke design of the floors sometimes means th...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Jay-AGM, Manager at Gaithersburg Marriott Washingtonian Center, responded to this review, September 10, 2012
Thank you for the detailed feedback from your recent stay. I'm happy to hear that you enjoyed the area and all of the amenities the hotel and Washingtonian Center have to offer. I certainly agree that it's a great hidden gem in Maryland. I appreciate your comments about the amount of follow up. While we want to ensure satisfaction by contacting our guests while in the hotel, I understand the need for balance during the stay and will use your comments as we continue in our on-the-job training for our Associates.

Best regards and again, thank you.
Director of Hotel Operations

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2012

This is the second time I've stayed at this property this summer. Different room same problem: the rooms aren't cleaned properly, particularly in the bathrooms. Between a tub that doesn't drain properly and to a shower curtain with obvious black marks and smudges. This property is a basic 3 star with dire need of a new cleaning staff. If you have the option stay at the neighboring Marriott Courtyard neighborhood property.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Jay-AGM, Manager at Gaithersburg Marriott Washingtonian Center, responded to this review, August 29, 2012
Thank you for your feedback. I appreicate your taking the time to share the comments. I will make sure to use this as a training opportunity for our Housekeeping team to ensure that rooms are properly addressed between guests. If you'd like to share any additional feedback about your stay, please feel free to contact me directly at the hotel 301-590-0044. I hope that you will allow us to serve you again in the future.

Warsaw, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2012

My family just stayed at this hotel yesterday and really liked it. The room was clean, the staff was very helpful, and the area was great. It's very close to a lot of restaurants and stores. I would have given this hotel an "excellent" except for one thing, and that was the pool. In the printed material it said that it was open until 11PM, then there was a handwritten note on the same page that said it was open until 10PM, but when my sister called the front desk they said that it was only open until 8PM. To top it off, when we tried again in the morning, we couldn't even find the darn pool! If you don't care about a pool, this is a really great hotel. If you are looking for a lot of swimming, either look elsewehere or be prepared for some crazy hours!

Room Tip: Ask for a room that looks out onto the lake.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Wintergreen, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2012

Most of my stays at Marriott's have been very good. However, this particular one is right next to I-270 and, even staying on the 7th floor, we could still hear the road noise. We were confirmed with a King Size bed and when we got there none were available. The air conditioning was barely operating and the room was humid. Also, the dining room food was lousy and expensive. On the positive, very comfortable beds, nice workout room and bar.

Room Tip: Rooms on the lake side close to the theater buildings are quieter and have a better view. Also, avo...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Jay-AGM, Manager at Gaithersburg Marriott Washingtonian Center, responded to this review, August 23, 2012
Thank you for your feedback. I'm glad you found our beds comfortable and apologize for the inconvenience of your preferred bed type not being available. I'm happy to discuss your specific situation directly, if you prefer. Please feel free to contact me directly at the hotel 301-590-0044.

-Jay Lefkowitz
Durham, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

I love Marriot beds because they make me feel like I am resting on cotton! The hotel is conveniently located (not too far from the interstate) and close to other Marriot properties and shopping! (My kind of location!) There only negative I have is this: Room 727 tub drain is slower than molasses and the breakfast is a bit pricey. Exceptional...but a bit pricey! I stayed during a time that this Marriot was the host hotel for two family reunions. Most of the family members had breakfast elsewhere. It was definitely beyond my employee per diem rate...but because the breakfast menu was so great, I bit the bullet and paid out-of-pocket. I found the staff most pleasant and helpful. Definitely a positive recommendation!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for your feedback. We've repaired the tub drain in the room. I'm happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. Only through the valuable feedback of our guests can we continue to provide exceptional experiences for our guests. I look forward to meeting you on your next trip to Gaithersburg.

-Jay Lefkowitz
Chapel Hill, NC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2012

We spent last weekend at the Marriott at a family reunion. The facility and location were both very nice. One of the best Marriot matresses that I have experienced. The front desk staff left a lot to be desired. They didn't seem to "have it together". Preparing for an early tee time on Sat., we went down to get breakfast, but they didn't open the resturant until seven. Maybe it was because it was a weekend, but the facility was full and I was not the only one looking for breakfast. I've stayed there before and will again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Jay-AGM, Manager at Gaithersburg Marriott Washingtonian Center, responded to this review, August 17, 2012
Thank you for your feedback. I have used your comments as a training topic with our Associates to insure we are always asking questions to insure we are exceeding our guest's expectations. Should you wish to share specific comments, I welcome your feedback. Please feel free to contact me at the hotel 301-590-0044.

-Jay Lefkowitz, Director of Hotel Operatoins
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2012 via mobile

After traveling through the nasty beltway traffic I was delighted to arrive at a very nice Marriott! Being a Platinum member I was given a room on the 9th floor facing the River Walk and a key to the executive lounge. The room was plush, Nicely decorated, comfy bed with great linens, flat screen tv, big windows(!), well lit and lots of plugs/outlets in all the right places.
The executive lounge was one of the best. There was a nice selection of Asian foods, cheese and crackers, veggies and all kinds of beverages. I must say...it was all very fresh and very good! I was exhausted from my work day and traffic...having this food available for a quick and nice dinner made this stay most memorable! Even the breakfast the next morning was excellent. All hot, nice choices and plentiful! You can see the effort put into the executive lounge...one of the best! This is greatly appreciated by someone on the road a lot!
Right out the back door of the hotel...the River Walk starts. Lots of Restaurants, stores, movie theater, and paddle boats. A great place to stroll or sit back and do some great people watching! I even enjoyed watching all the activity from my great window view!
I look forward to staying here again. Hopefully I will get another reasonable rate!

• Stayed August 2012
Thank you for your feedback. It's always nice to hear when things go well! I look forward to seeing you on your next visit to Gaithersburg!

Director of Hotel Operations

Been to Gaithersburg Marriott Washingtonian Center? Share your experiences!