“Nice stay, great location” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Earn Up To 25,000 Points
Ranked #4 of 15 Hotels in Gaithersburg
Princeton, New Jersey
“Nice stay, great location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2012

Spent a weekend here post cruise. I'd stayed in the hotel a number of times in the past but I haven't been there in a couple years.

I arrived late morning/early afternoon and was able to check in to a room on the Concierge Floor upon arrival. After having had no sleep the week before while on the cruise (the ship's beds were too hard) I was delighted that the bed in this room was typical Marriott-Super comfy!

My room also had a chair and ottoman, desk, fridge and a view of the lake at the Washingtonian Center shopping/dining/entertainment complex.

Having sprained my ankle while on the cruise, I basically propped up my foot, added ice and watched TV and surfed the internet! The TV is a 42-inch flat screen, HDTV with an excellent selection of channels. As I arrived on a weeknight, I was able to take advantage of the concierge lounge. The evening I arrived, the offerings were roast pork loin and pierogies! Delicious! The following morning, there was the usual array of continental breakfast items and also scrambled eggs and breakfast meats.

One day I ventured out into the mall area for a sandwich and a decent cup of coffee. (The hotel serves Starbucks, but there is also an actual Starbucks in the shopping center.) I also popped into the gourmet cupcake bakery in the center. They were pretty good!

My only real complaint with the hotel was that I ordered sliders, no cheese and PLAIN! They got the no cheese part right, but there was all sorts of stuff on them-some sort of special sauce, lettuce, pickles, etc. This was from room service. I'd waited 30 minutes for them, they were overcooked. The first time, they came with fries. I asked if they came with fries or chips (the menu said house made potato chips..fine) but the operator suggested that they came with fries. No big deal, but when the second order came, they had chips. The burgers were plain, but again, WAY overcooked. The operator barely understood English-she told me she didn't know that I meant PLAIN as in nothing on them. HUH? What does PLAIN mean??

My issue is that she should have comped the meal since there was a total lack of communication, but I wound up paying $15 for mediocre bar food that was fouled up! Other than that, I had no issues with the hotel.

The room was VERY clean, comfortable and the AC worked well. (It was also very quiet-some hotel AC units are loud.) The room had a great view, but be advised...rooms on the water side do get hot, so you may wish to close the curtains.

All in all, I had a nice restful stay and I will probably return at some point in the future. The Washingtonian Center offers a large array of places to eat, a movie theatre and plenty of shopping. Great place for a weekend escape.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Raleigh, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2012

My experience at this hotel was excellent while traveling to the area on business. The rooms were clean and comfortable for both sleeping and getting work done. The staff was very helpful and a pleasure to deal with. Check-in and check-out was a quick and efficient. All the amenities a business traveler wants, was available. it is quite far from the three major airports in the area and therefore there is no hotel shuttle. It turned out it was cheaper to rent a car for my two day trip rather than paying a taxi or SuperShuttle for round trip transportation to the airport.

The only issue I had was the internet access and this is why I did not give a five star rating. They charge somewhere around $13 a day additional for internet access, unless one uses it in the lobby. This is really not convenient. I still cannot understand why they don't just include it in the price of the room. Many companies will not reimburse for separate internet access charges at a hotel. I ended up tethering to my cell phone, which costs nothing additional for me, but as we all know there are drawbacks to tethering, i.e. speed and convenience.

I really suggest that all these hotels reconsider this sort of "nickle and diming" on the internet access. After all, there are many hotels which do not charge for internet access, they just don't seem to be the "big" names which we are forced to use for business travel. To make it easier on the business traveler, I think these hotels need to re-think their policy on internet access charges.

Overall, I enjoyed my comfortable stay at this hotel and would recommend it to others traveling on business.

Room Tip: Get a higher room overlooking the lake area and be sure to ask for one away from the ice machine.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2012

We have visited this hotel countless times over the years. Unlike most of it's visitors we do not come for business, but to visit family in the area. We always enjoy the complex the hotel is located in. There is a movie theater, cupcake shop, Starbucks, and a yogurt shop. There are also many casual dining restaurants. In addition there is a Target and many other smaller retailers. On the weekend the place is family friendly, well lit and lively. There is a manmade lake with swan peddle boats that can be rented during the warmer months.The hotel has free parking and Washington D.C. is within easy reach, about half an hour by car. Rooms are modern and all look alike. The double rooms have 2 beds, a night table, an armchair and a desk and chair. The king rooms have an extra footstool and small table. Rates on the weekend are reasonable. Some packages include the breakfast buffet. The buffet includes fresh cut fruit and many choices. They have more of a selection on the weekend including grits and biscuits. Julie the server/hostess always welcomes us back with a smile. Janet, the chef at the omelet station, is always friendly and makes yummy waffles and a variety of omelets. They both make us feel at home and welcomed. The pool is open all weekend but has limited hours on the weekdays. It is an indoor pool located on the second floor. It has a wall of windows so you do not feel closed in. There is a concierge floor, but we have never been there. When there is an issue the front desk staff usually handle it quickly and will call to follow up that things have been taken care of. We have tried many hotels in the area over the years and keep coming back to this one.

Room Tip: Weekend rates (which start on a Thursday night) are much lower than weekday rates. Packages that in...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
TomG_Hotel_Manager, Manager at Gaithersburg Marriott Washingtonian Center, responded to this review, May 8, 2012
Thank you very much for your kind words and recommendation. We look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel very soon.

Tom
Stony Brook, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2012 via mobile

This is an excellent hotel if traveling for business in the area. The staff in the hotel are friendly and welcoming. Parking is free and right in front of the hotel. The rooms are clean, comfortable, reasonable in size and have the usual furnishings that one expects for this type of hotel. Although the hotel seems a bit out of the way and doesn't have easy access to public transportation, it is close to I-270 and the recently built 'inter county connector'. (Note, however, if you're driving a rental car, that the latter route is a toll road without toll booths so you need an EZ Pass.) I also liked the fact that the hotel is an easy and pleasant walk (around a lake) to the dining and shopping possibilities of the Washingtonian Center. This was my second stay at this hotel and I would definitely return if I have business again in the area!

Stayed April 2012
TomG_Hotel_Manager, Manager at Gaithersburg Marriott Washingtonian Center, responded to this review, April 16, 2012
Thank you very much for your returning to our hotel. We appreciate your business. Please let me know if I can provide anything to make your next stay more comfortable.

Please note that you can use the ICC toll road without an EZ Pass. However it will charge the toll plus $3.00 to the registered owner of the vehicle. They photograph the license plate of the vehicle when you pass the toll area.

Best Regards,

Tom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2012

Visiting friends in suburban DC, this Marriott was convenient and perfectly nice. We even ended up talking while walking around the man made lake after a decent Sunday brunch.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
Anchorage, Alaska
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2012

There is a cozy, comfortable atmosphere at this hotel despite its size. It is set on a lake with a variety of shopping and restaurants and a Loews theater. The rooms are clean and modern. The staff is cheerful and very helpful.
If you are trying to access DC from here,you will have to take a cab from the Shady Grove metro station (about $12). The hotel has the typical 12.95 per day internet charge. The Business Center costs you as well for internet time (flight check-in and boarding passes are free). You can access wi-fi for free in the lobby.
The lobby is small as is the gift shop, which is a small room next to check-in with some food and amenties. However, you can get anything you need by taking a short walk to Target.
Overall it's a lovely view and a pleasant place to stay.

Room Tip: Ask for a lake side room.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
TomG_Hotel_Manager, Manager at Gaithersburg Marriott Washingtonian Center, responded to this review, March 27, 2012
Thank you very much for staying with us. We are very happy that you were comfortable while you were here. I am glad you found our lake front setting convenient and our staff engaging. I do want to let you know that all of the services in the business center are complimentary. That includes internet browsing, printing, faxing, office software, and boarding passes. We have also recently expanded complimentary high speed wireless internet access to our restaurant and outdoor waterside dining.

We sincerely appreciate your feedback. Thank you very much for your business and we look forward to hosting you again. Please contact me if I can do anything to make your next stay more comfortable.

Best Regards,

Tom Gilliland
Director of Hotel Operations
Glen arm md 21057
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2012

The manager, Mario Lara, is extremely friendly and always makes my husband and me feel welcome at this hotel. His friendliness and energy transfer into his friendly and welcoming staff's energy.

He is the BEST manager we have ever seen!

Especially welcoming are Fatinia, Janeth, Michael, and Ekli.

The hotel is a perfect spot for traveling to DC and is very clean.

Room Tip: The associates will give you the best available.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
TomG_Hotel_Manager, Manager at Gaithersburg Marriott Washingtonian Center, responded to this review, February 28, 2012
Thank you so much for your kind words regarding our team and the cleanliness of the hotel. We sincerely appreciate your comments and will recognize each of the individuals you listed in our monthly associate rally.

We look forward to hosting you again very soon.

Please contact us if we can do anything to make your stay more comfortable.

Tom Gilliland
Director of Hotel Operations

Been to Gaithersburg Marriott Washingtonian Center? Share your experiences!