“Not the Best, But Not the Worst Either” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Gaithersburg

Save Saved
You added Holiday Inn Gaithersburg to your Saves list
Holiday Inn Gaithersburg
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2 Montgomery Village Ave, Intersection of Rte 355 & Montgomery, Gaithersburg, MD 20879   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #3 of 15 hotels in Gaithersburg
GreenLeadersGold level
Gaithersburg, Maryland
“Not the Best, But Not the Worst Either”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2007

I stayed at the Holiday Inn Gaithersburg from January 26 - 28 for a hobby event. This was the first time I stayed at this property. I had found a $45 per night rate using my Entertainment Card so I was pleased with the price, however, I wondered whether I would be dumped in a crummy room. To make sure I wasn't, I showed up early the morning of my arrival. Was I bowled over when I was allowed to check into my 6th Floor room at 8:30 am! The gentleman at the fromt desk could not have been nicer and more accommodating. I learned that because of my Priority Club Membership I earned early check in and late check out (2 pm) on the day of my departure.

My 6th floor room was a corner room. Everything was in great condition from the double bed, TV, A/C, clean bathroom. The bed was nice and firm and very comfortable. I usually travel with my own lumbar pillow, so I can't say much about the pillows.

One disappointment -- the faucet at the sink and in the shower took forever to get hot. I learned from others at my event that they faced the same problem.

I do not have problems sleeping, but a quick note about the a/c unit. It was a bit loud. I know others in my party had issues falling asleep because of the racket their a/c unit made. Another small issue - the hotel is across the street from a fire station. As a result, you could be awaken by sirens.

On the first night of my stay the fire alarm went off at 3 am. I slept through it fortunately for me, but I know others in my party could not fall asleep one it was found to be a false alarm. We were told that this happens often by another prior guest.

Had breakfast at the upstairs restaurant two mornings. Service was crummy. Had tea and toast the first morning and the buffet breakfast the next. Had to point out that meat was missing from the buffet then stand around waiting for the bacon and sausage to arrive. The buffet had the basics -- several juices, stuffed pancakes, bread for toast, fruit, cereal, pastry,. breakfast potatoes, eggs etc.

Had lunch at the Irish restaurant one day. Loved the fish and chips. Nice, crunchy fish and great tartar sauce - tasted homemade. The bartender made me a very nice fruit punch that was free because of my Priority Club membership.

All in all, had a very nice stay at this hotel. It was not the best hotel I've ever stayed in, and it was certainly not the worst.

Stayed January 2007

229 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
Baltimore
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2007

Everything is sub par. The sheets and towels are very cheap and unappealing. The beds are not comfortable. Everything needs to be freshened up. I have heard that they have renovated one of the towers and perhaps they save the worst rooms for Priceline customers. There are at least two other 3 star properties (according to Priceline) in Gaithersburg. It is a total joke to say this is the same level as the Mariott or the Hilton. I am done with Priceline for this area. I wouldn’t want to stay here if it was free. Too bad Priceline lumps the Holiday inn with better hotels because I would bid reasonably high to get the Hilton or the Mariott.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Beds were uncomfortable
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Delaware
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2006

Overall, this particular weekend the Holiday Inn had pretty competitive prices for the area so I choose it having grow up in the area and knowing the hotel. I was back visiting for a class reunion. The hotel is basically a nice place to stay, but it could use some updating and remodeling. There was a tile on the bathroom floor that was missing and the shower from the upper room leaked, but fortunately it leaked into the tub in my room. The beds are clean and comfortable and it's a pretty good location. Most everything you need is close by. I would stay here again, but check the prices at other hotels because some are newer and less expensive, but not always.

Overall, it's clean, it's safe and everybody was accommodating.

• Liked — The location
  • Disliked — The leaking shower
  • Tips/Secrets — Always try and see your room before you check in.
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Sun City, Arizona
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2006

My room was quiet as far as not hearing other guests. However, there is a fire station half a block away; great if you have an emergency medical condition; not great if you are trying to sleep. It was clean but it was definitely in need of updating. The black out curtain was hanging off the track so it would not close completely, the caulking around the base of the toilet was messily done and discolored, and the bathtub had rust stains and a mildewed shower curtain. On the plus side, you had all the amenities of pool, exercise, restaurant and bar. Most importantly, I felt safe. The pub service was enthusiastic but terribly inefficient. Food was so-so but only somewhat over-priced. Internet access was great and they have a business center where you can check in on-line and print your boarding pass. Would I stay here again; probably. Got a good deal for the area by booking on-line in advance at Holiday Inn website using an Entertainment Card.

• Liked — price
  • Disliked — outdated
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2006

I stayed at Holiday Inn Gaithersburg for 4 nights accompanying my husband for his business trip. We chose the hotel as it was one of the cheapest with free internet option. The whole building is not new, but they maintain it well and clean. The room we stayed was not new, nor ultra-super beautiful, but it was neat and OK for the entire 4 nights of stay. Another good thing was that room service was affordable and its quality was acceptable. The reception looked a bit understaffed, but the people were friendly. The gym was OK. Some restaurants and a big shopping center were in walk distance, which was quite convenient. Overall, our stay was much better than we expected for the price (we paid about $70 for a king room per night). If we have another chance to make a trip to the Gaithersburg area, we will definitely stay here again (as long as we want to save $$$)!

• Stayed July 2006, traveled on business
Johnstown, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2006

The main reason this hotel was chosen was because of the shuttle to and from Shady Grove Metro. The shuttle took me, my husband and my two small children to the metro in the morning and gave me a card with the number to call when we needed the shuttle to come back to the hotel....GREAT! Well, low and behold ---there was no evening shuttle available when I called (4:30 pm) The "Front Desk Manager" said, "sorry, it's not running, you will need to find another means back to the hotel." I was stunned, not knowing the city or the bus schedules. I asked her what bus number I should take back to the hotel and her answer was "I don't know." Shouldn't she have put me on hold and found out for her guest? I told her that and she just didn't respond. Luckily there were some very friendly bus drivers who helped me get back (after one transfer) -- this was difficult with tired, small children who had to use the bathroom!!! If, in the morning, we would have been told that the shuttle was only running until 2 pm, we would have driven the 3 miles to the Metro in our own van.

If that wasn't enough, in the early AM, the maids were loudly tapping on each door to see if the guests had checked out!!! Did they ever think to check with the front desk to see who has check out!!!!

I emailed the Holiday Inn and they did credit me $100 but the experience was a bad one. The hotel did have some positives--the breakfast buffet you pay for is very nice (kids eat free), the shuttle to the Metro was very convenient (WHEN RUNNING), and location to the shopping mall was great. Other than that, make sure the shuttle is running if you need it and remember the front desk management has absolutely no people skills or care about your stay at this hotel.

• Stayed April 2006
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2006

We have stayed here many times over the last few years along with a number of other hotels in the area. It is unquestionably the best bet, rooms are excellent and the hotel has a good friendly atmosphere.

• Stayed September 2005, traveled on business

Been to Holiday Inn Gaithersburg? Share your experiences!