“Bed bugs found. Otherwise OK.” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Gaithersburg

You added Holiday Inn Gaithersburg to your Saves list
Holiday Inn Gaithersburg
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2 Montgomery Village Ave, Intersection of Rte 355 & Montgomery, Gaithersburg, MD 20879   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save 10-30%
Ranked #4 of 15 Hotels in Gaithersburg
GreenLeadersGold level
Singapore, Singapore
“Bed bugs found. Otherwise OK.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013

I was bitten by bed bugs on my first night of stay. Having been bitten by bed bugs before, I inspected the mattress and found 3 bed bugs. I immediately requested for room change. It was 4am then, and the hotel staff on duty responded promptly, although he doesn't sound apologetic for my inconvenience.

I stayed in the new room for the next 3 days. The new room is OK, no bed bugs found.

The location is out of the way if you don't drive.

Room Tip: Watch out for bed bugs.
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 4 of 5 stars
HIGaithersburg, General Manager at Holiday Inn Gaithersburg, responded to this review, October 3, 2013
Thank you for your feedback about our hotel during your stay. We rely on our guests to let us know how we are doing and how we can better meet their needs. We have taken note of your feedback and we take the matter of bed bugs extremely seriously. We have one of this industries most prominent pest control providers in the country that conduct monthly inspections of our hotel to insure our beds are clean and bug-free. We know you have many choices when it comes to lodging and we hope you will continue to consider IHG. If you would like to discuss this please feel free to contact me directly at the hotel at any time. Thank you.

Warren, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013

After we visited Lancaster we headed to Maryland, but did not have any reservation and they had a convention in town. We were lucky to get the last room at the Holiday Inn. The room was very nice, also the price was pretty high but I understand due to the convention in town. We had a nice stay and the breakfast was very filling. Would stay at this hotel again if others were completely sold out.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Mesa, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013 via mobile

At first sight this property looks clean and inviting, from the street, parking lot, and the lobby area. There are sitting areas in the lobby with comfortable easy chairs, tables, and sofas. There IS a rack of tourist info brochures for DC tours, museums, and other attractions, but it is a little out-of-the-way.... you will find it outside the gift shop near the North tower elevators (past the restaurant). Front desk staff were helpful, friendly, and efficient. (Remember to mention your Holiday Inn rewards membership to get a certificate for a free breakfast and a welcome bag with a snack and bottled water).
The guest rooms are in 2 towers, North & South, that are connected on the lobby floor (actually the 1st floor). My room was spacious and well laid out, with a king size bed, flatscreen TV (with a remote that actually worked properly), plenty of lights, both overhead and task / reading, and offered both complimentary wireless AND wired high speed internet service. (Front desk will give you wifi password upon request). There is also a refrigerator and microwave. The climate control, although a wall unit under the window, is operated by a thermostat on the wall nearest the door, and is temperature-set as opposed to warmer/colder.
The bathroom has a tub / shower with an extended curtain rail that gives you a bit more room to shower by bowing the curtain outwards, a good selection of quality toiletries, and a coffee pot with coffees, teas, and sweeteners / creamers.
The bar, on the lower level (ground floor, below the lobby) is open daily from 4-12. Drinks were priced a little high for my liking, but the staff were friendly, service was great, and the burger I ate in the bar for dinner one evening was excellent (Get the chips with it... fresh made and delicious).
The breakfast buffet in the lobby-level restaurant was what I expect from hotels of this level. Waitress service, with a good selection... Biscuits & gravy, scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage, french toast, oatmeal, a selection of breads / bagels, and a fresh-fruit bar. Coffe is excellent & they almost always bring you a to-go cup without having to ask. Drinks never ran dry and were served with a smile, I was even offered a to-go soda to go with my coffee-to-go on both days.
The gift shop is open until 10pm and has all the basic necessities for travel... medicines, toiletries, etc, and a wide selection of DC & MD souveniers.
We took a tour of DC, using the Metro (Subway system) to get downtown. The hotel took reservations for the complimentary shuttle, which drove us to Shady Grove station (the start point of the Red Line, which takes you right into downtown DC). The shuttle does not run after 11pm, but we were advised that there was a line of taxis outside the station that would be there as late as 3am on Friday night, and were even told the approximate cab fare for our taxi return by the front desk (they called it within 50 cents!!!... It was right about $15)
Highly recommend this hotel. Their staff are friendly, knowledgable, and helpful as all get out. The food is good, and the environment is inviting and comfortable.

Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Glenview, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013

If you are going to DC and want to avoid traffic, hassle and additional cost for a night, this location is under a half hour away. Quiet. Near freeway. Best feature is the complementary breakfast. Wide selection, well prepared. For example, rather than using fruit in a bag (pre-prepared), the kitchen chops it fresh, hot and cold cereals, half dozen hot dishes, cottage cheese, yogurt, etc.

Pleasant and friendly staff

Harwood, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

I work in the area and was concerned about the commute on 9/11 so I decided to stay over closer to work. Barack Sam was the "Assistant Guest Service Manager" at the counter. There was a line and he was very polite and never rushed the person he was helping.
Upon my turn he noticed that I had just turned 40 the day prior from my drivers license. During the course of registration a few more things were mentioned referring to a tough couple of weeks for me. Instead of giving me just a normal room he upgraded me to the Penthouse. He also took my bags and escorted me himself to the 8th floor. He also included 2 free drink tickets. He did not have to do this but it really made an impact. The Penthouse had an amazing Shower Room, Sauna, Seating Area, etc. I will be staying at this Holiday Inn again even if it's not in the Penthouse.

• 5 of 5 stars
HIGaithersburg, General Manager at Holiday Inn Gaithersburg, responded to this review, September 24, 2013
Thank you for your nice comments and the review of our hotel. We will be sure to share your comments with Barack Sam. We will also share your review with our entire team here at the hotel. We look forward to serving you in the future and wish you safe travels! Thanks again!

Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

The Holiday Inn in Gaithersburg could use a little sprucing up. The room and the rest of the premises were clean, but a little worn. The service was prompt and courteous. The breakfast buffet was about average, and not included in the room charge as it is usually at other Holiday Inn locations where I’ve stayed. Still I would stay here again, and recommend it to friends.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Ellicott City, MD
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

My family and I stayed here for a wedding weekend. While the newly renovated king rooms were fine, there were some complaints about older double rooms not meeting Holiday Inn standards. So ask for a newly renovated room. The pool area was lovely and the staff was very friendly. In fact, I happened to check in at the same time as two busloads of other people and amidst that chaos I was still greeted with a handshake and a smile at check-in. Breakfast buffet was okay, nothing special. It is apparent that the staff wants to make your stay a good one, and there's something to be said for that.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars
HIGaithersburg, General Manager at Holiday Inn Gaithersburg, responded to this review, September 9, 2013
Thank you for your review of your stay at our hotel and the nice comment about our courteous staff. Your comments are important to the success of our organization, as we rely on you, our guest, to tell us how we are doing and how we can better meet your needs. We wish you safe travels!

Melvin Nichols
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gaithersburg
Hampton Inn & Suites Washington, DC North - Gaithersburg
HYATT house Gaithersburg
HYATT house Gaithersburg
#5 of 15 in Gaithersburg
4.0 of 5 stars 309 reviews

Been to Holiday Inn Gaithersburg? Share your experiences!