“Holiday Inn - Gaithersburg, MD” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Gaithersburg

You added Holiday Inn Gaithersburg to your Saves list
Holiday Inn Gaithersburg
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2 Montgomery Village Ave, Intersection of Rte 355 & Montgomery, Gaithersburg, MD 20879   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save 10-30%
Ranked #4 of 15 Hotels in Gaithersburg
GreenLeadersGold level
Charlotte, North Carolina
“Holiday Inn - Gaithersburg, MD”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

I have stayed at the Holiday Inn in Gaithersburg, MD for the good part of 2 months while on business. The accommodations are above average, the rooms are clean and well kept, and the value is unbeatable. However, the hotel staff is what makes this hotel the place to stay when in the Gaithersburg area. The staff, especially the afternoon and evening staff managed by Isidro Alberto, is especially accommodating, very helpful, and friendly, always willing to assist with any request. The staff exemplifies the meaning of service to the customer.

Room Tip: Great breakfast, clean rooms, centrally located.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
HIGaithersburg, General Manager at Holiday Inn Gaithersburg, responded to this review, February 28, 2013
Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent visit at our hotel. it is our pleasure to hear kind words about Isidro Alberto and our staff. We are pleased to see that you enjoyed your accommodations and your stay. We wish you safe travels and look froward to serving you in the future. Thanks again!

Melvin Nichols

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
Okinawa, Japan
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

Ok, this is probably one of my harder reviews because my stay was without issues but there are some concerns with the hotel as others have reviewed here and colleagues that was with had some issues ( more on this below)..........

I stayed here for 2 weeks as part of a large group attending a conference down in Bethesda, MD....so didn't have a choice of where to stay....

MY REVIEW:
As mentioned before I had a comfortable stay with no issues. As far as the hotel review itself, it is located in a suburban part of Maryland with a Costco and other shopping areas around the hotel right off the 270. There are many good restaurants ( driving distance) within the area.

Hotel is large for a Holiday Inn and found out that this is not a Holiday Inn Express which are newer and great. This is a traditional Holiday Inn so it is dated with regards to decorations and inside.....this part was evident.

Reception staff and staff in general were outstanding!! In fact (as others have reviewed) this is what made the hotel a good stay for myself. Friendly staff to include front desk to the maid's and also restaurant personnel all friendly, which is a plus.

My hotel room was located with others attending this conference, so all of our rooms were together. Room was spacious and was clean. Came with refrigerator and microwave ( don't know if this is standard since we were part of a large group). Bed was comfortable and clean and bathroom was clean with hot water and good water pressure. Room again was outdated with decor and furniture and noticed some cracks in the walls and doors......so overall they need a major renovation or update if they want to remain competative .

They had a small gym in basement which had 3 treadmills, bike and a nautilus system....ok. Tried their pub downstairs, ok food and good brews on tap. Tried their breakfast one day and was good.

Now to tell of some of the concerning reviews from my colleagues. There has been mention of bed bugs in prior reviews and it seems this is unfortunately accurate. Person I knew told management and they confirmed bed bugs were present after he had received some bites. I know bed bugs can happen even at 5 star hotels so hopefully management is doing something. I also talked to someone else in our group who had to change rooms for cockroaches......Finally there is a fire station one block down the road. depending on which part of the hotel you are on, you will hear sirens at all parts of the day/night. Ask the front desk about this as my colleague had sleep issues.

So hotel was comfortable for me and saw no bugs but I think the Hotel needs a major renovation and needs to change it's image fast with it's bed bug issue. I can't say I would recommend this hotel for my family or friends given the concern. Although my stay was a 3 have to give it a 2 given major concerns it has.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
HIGaithersburg, General Manager at Holiday Inn Gaithersburg, responded to this review, February 22, 2013
Thank you for your valuable insights. We rely on our guests to let us know how we are doing and how we can better meet their needs. We have taken note of your feedback and this will be used to reconsider improvements as we renovate our hotel. We take the matter of bedbugs extremely seriously and we do have one of the industry's most prominent pest control providers that conduct montly inspections of our hotel to ensure that our beds are clean and bug-free. We know you have many choices when it comes to lodging and we hope your future travel plans will continue to include IHG.

Seattle, Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

I stayed here for two weeks as I was attending a class in a nearby city. When you drive up to the hotel, the parking lot (or covered garage if you prefer) are clean, well maintained. The garage is very nice during cold weather, rain. The lobby is well-lit and clean. Front desk staff were great, nice, warm, courteous. My room, however, was not great at all. I statyed on the 7th floor and when I walked out of the elevator, the light is dimmed and hallways appear dark. The carpet appears dated. The room looked like a slight upgrade from the hall way. The bathroom had a leaky faucet, but I will say that the water pressure in the faucet and bathtub were wonderful and water became warm to hot very quickly (watch out if you have small kids). The fridge in the room was more like a freezer and froze everything. The microwave turn table did not rotate and only heated my food 1/2 way. I had to microwave several times to get the food to a decent temperature. The bathroom had missing tiles in the baseboard; this was an eyesore. Sometimes housekeeping didn't replace my coffee area with new cups. The bed was one of the most uncomfortable I've stayed in, the support in the mattress was so poor; i nearly fell to the floor when I would sit on the edge of the bed.

A few of my classmates had significant complaints. One had roaches and had to be moved to another room. Two others had visible bed bugs and one had bed bug bites all over his arms, shoulders, back, chest! This is horrible. While I don't have those complaints at this time, I'm worried that I might in a few days. Everytime I have an itch, I think its a bed bug. I have not searched the online bed-bug registry, but I heard from other classmates that this hotel listed on it several times.

Room service was great and the food in the cafe and pub weren't bad at all. However, I probably wouldn't stay here again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay at our hotel. I have shared your comments in detail with those managers who have responsibility for the areas of concerns that you have detailed. We do have one of the industry's most prominent pest control providers, Steritech, that conducts monthly inspections of our hotel and hotel rooms. I assure you that when there is any type of bedbug claim we take measures to ensure that our beds are clean and free of bedbugs. If you would like to discuss this in person, please feel free to contact me directly at any time.

(301) 948-8900
SAN ANTONIO
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

Let me start by saying, this is a nice hotel with spacious rooms. There is a pub within the hotel that serves dinner, and a cafe that serves breakfast, lunch, and dinner. I did not visit either, but I did order breakfast via room service two of the three mornings. The food was delivered HOT, they offered large portions, and it was sooo tasty! (Both times.) By the way, if you are a Priority Rewards member through the hotel, you get a choice of either a free drink in their pub, or free breakfast in their cafe....just FYI. The front desk staff and people I came into contact with through room service, were all very friendly. I did not visit the pool nor the gym.... Oh, and there's a parking garage! That's FREE! It's behind the hotel, just follow the parking lot around to the hotel's left side (your right when facing the hotel). It was snowing this past weekend when I visited, so that came in handy. Its walkway leads right into the back of the hotel. (Hotel key accessible only.)

As for the hotel vicinity, there's a mall and a Costco around the corner. Right next door to the hotel is a Wells Fargo, and on the other side of that is a restaurant that serves Korean/Japanese cuisine (as stated by their sign). I did not try this place, but I did try a deli located in the CitiBank building behind the hotel. That was a bad idea. I ordered a bowl of chili and a gyro ( I was starving, lol).... both were just "so-so", but I guess I should have stuck to a salad or a sub sandwich.

Now for the "I should have listened" part.... I read a review that complained of bed bugs, but many others seemed to have no problems, so I thought what the heck.... Well, I am back home, sitting at my desk, typing this review, and closely monitoring my bug bites. It started with just one after the first night, but I thought nothing of it. After the second night they'd multiplied. Bed bugs? Perhaps? I thought of asking the housekeeper on my floor but she didn't seem to enthusiastic when I approached her just to ask for extra coffee. So I figured asking about anything more would be a stretch.

So will I return to this location, no. Will I recommend this location? Probably not. There are several other hotels in the area and I wish I would have just paid the $10-$20 more per night to stay there. But keep in mind this may have just been my room and not a hotel-wide issue.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
HIGaithersburg, General Manager at Holiday Inn Gaithersburg, responded to this review, February 25, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your stay and tell us your feedback. Thank you for sharing with us how friendly you found our front desk staff to be! We will be sure to pass along your nice comments about your room service breakfast to our Chef, I am sure that will make him very happy and proud. We take the matter of bedbugs extremely seriously and our hotel rooms are thoroughly cleaned and inspected by our trained Housekeeping Team. We also have Steritech, one of the industry’s most prominent pest control providers, that conduct monthly inspections of our hotel. If you would like to discuss your stay please feel free to contact me directly at any time.

(301) 948-8900
Richmond, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

The rooms were well proportioned, very well maintained, clean and attention to details were noted by the cleaning staff. I enjoyed the upgraded on shampoo and lotion, not the typical
Five and Dime experience. The location was conveinent to the interstate. The breakfast was hot, and had a large selection of fresh fruit, juices, cereals, yogurt, etc. Sign up for Holiday Inn
frequent traveler and receive upgrades, ie, king bed, breakfast,etc.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
HIGaithersburg, General Manager at Holiday Inn Gaithersburg, responded to this review, January 31, 2013
Dear W0nderfulLife,

Thank you for choosing our hotel and for taking the time to provide us with the details of your stay. I am very pleased you had an enjoyable stay and were happy with our amenities and our location! I will be sure to share your nice comments about breakfast with our Chef! We wish you safe travels and look forward to your next visit!

Kolkata
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

This is a nice quite hotel.I stayed there for 1 night during out visit to Washington.Its a clean,quiet hotel.However there is no breakfast provided.The staff and front desk was polite and co-operative.

Room Tip: Try to take room on the 2nd floor.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Charlotte, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

We originally booked for New Year's Eve, but my husband was sick with the flu so we rescheduled for the following wknd. We got the heart to heart special and it was wonderful!! We actually live in the area, but felt like we had been away for the wknd, even though we only spent one night. The check in was great and the manager on duty- Georges Duncan (?) was quite pleasant. When we arrived at our room, there was a bottle of chilled champagne, wrapped glasses and chocolate (part of the pkg). The shower was wonderful! Although I wish they had kept in the fan in the bathroom- not a big deal just a mention. The front desk called to make sure that our room was ok. Finally- room service was absolutely delicious!! Nice, big portions! The breakfast was good with a nice variety. We definitely plan on staying here again for a budget friendly staycation!!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
HIGaithersburg, General Manager at Holiday Inn Gaithersburg, responded to this review, January 21, 2013
Thank you for staying with us sorry to hear that your husband was sick with the flu but happy to hear that you were able to reschedule your visit! I will be sure to pass along your nice comments to George as well as the front desk team.The Chef will be happy to hear that you enjoyed both breakfast and room service I am sure! Thanks again for choosing us and we look forward to serving you in the future!

Melvin Nichols

Been to Holiday Inn Gaithersburg? Share your experiences!