“Nice hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #13 of 15 hotels in Gaithersburg
Tampa, Florida
“Nice hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2010

The staff was friendly, the beds were comfortable, the kids enjoyed the pool, and I appreciated the treadmill. On the downside, the pool did not open until 4 in the afternoon and we were farther from the metro than I had thought.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family

255 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2010

After reading the room description: King bed with smart chair/recliner and amenties--pool, sauna, hot tub, exercise room and guest laundry, I was looking forward to the stay.
I should have known when I stepped into the lobby that the stay would not be pleasant: there was a persistant sewer smell for the 3 days there [they didn't even try to mask it with febreez].
We arrived about 7 PM, and after a pleasant front desk headed to the elevator--steaming hot, got off on the 4th floor--hotter. The room was cool, but at 7 PM it had not been cleaned!!!
so back into the hot hall and elevator to another room on the 3rd floor--hot too, but the double bed rooms have no smart chair :(. The next morning we tried to make coffee (single serve type), but there were no cups, so off downstairs for some...not fun 1st thing in the morning.
The room was not cleaned until after 4 PM, and the pillows were scattered all over the floor, the ice bucket liner was not replaced; there was someone else's hair on the floor (there when we checked in); the floor was not vacuumed--the room felt dirty.
Went to do laundry: signs say access from 2nd floor: but that meant another walk down a hot hall to the stairwell down (!!)-- a moldy stairway. You open the door the exercise room with your room key. There was only 1 washer and drier; the door to the hot tub, sauna, and pool was locked in afternoon, so you had to go back up the stairs to get out
They do not open the pool, hot tub and sauna until 4 PM!!! What!!
The location was OK, near the Costco and an older mall, but few interesting eating spots. The bright spot is that it had a bar in the hotel.
Overall we were very disappointed with our stay. Won't stay there again.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
ASHLAND, OHIO
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2010

In preparing for a recent trip to the OBX we decided to stay 1/2 way between Ohio and NC, so we booked four (4) rooms at this hotel. The website looked impressive and we did ALOT of checking on the place before making our reservations. When we got there it was the Friday before Memorial Day and the pool (which is outside) was ready for business but closed until Monday. We had numerous hot and tired kids traveling with us that were not too happy to say the least. There was no working hot tub (of course) and the front desk didn't appear too concerned about guest comfort or satisfaction. The rooms were passibly clean but the windows were filthy, had I had a bottle of Windex and a long rope I would have been outside cleaning them myself. The lobby refreshment center was sparsely stocked, so if you go looking for a snack late at night, well, good luck with that one. Oh, I forgot to mention the thin walls. We had to listen to a bunch of loud carrying on in one of the surrounding rooms before we were able to get some rest. The hotel is wedged into a business park in a very busy section of town "yet" easily accessible to and from the interstate. I expected more from this 3 1/2 star hotel, travelers beware.

Stayed May 2010, traveled with family
East Brunswick, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2010

The room was clean and the staff was very helpful and friendly. Metro ride to DC is abou 40 minutes--a bit long. Shuttle is available for trip to Metro station in Shady Grove.
Don't eat dinner there!!! It's terrible.
We paid $57/night from Hot Wire. Someone else we met there paid $100 and another
couple couple paid $48 on Travelocity.
Nice place for the money.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Bordentown, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2010

I stayed here for three nights while I attended a meeting in nearby Rockville. I booked the room on Hotwire for $57/night. That was an incredible price for such a comfortable stay. Without exception, the staff was extremely, helpful, professional and friendly. They sent a fax for free, provided free transportation to the Shady Grove Metro station about ten minutes away, and provided complimentary coffee and tea in the lobby all day. The hotel is in a somewhat suburban location and it takes about 45 minutes to get to DC on the train from Shady Grove. However, if you have a need to stay in the Gaithersburg area, this is a wonderful place to stay. I would love to stay there again should I have the occasion.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
Rome NY
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2010

I travel with my adult son who's in a wheelchair. I was able to get the favorable internet/AAA rate but had to call to arrange for an accessible room (they have 8 on the premises) as I was not able to request an accessible room online. Not only was the price a draw but the fact that the entire premises are smoke free. When we arrived they put us in a regular room and we had to go back to the front desk to get what we requested and there was no offer of compensation. Fair enough; the accessible room was adequate but there was no roll in shower or drop down bench for the bathtub. The next day when it was time for him to take a shower, I called the front desk to request a shower chair or some time of chair that could get wet (like a pool side chair). 45 minutes later and still no chair. I called again and was told a bellman would be right up with a pool chair as there was no shower chair on the premises. 20 minutes later, I went to the pool myself and grabbed a chair. I probably would stay again but if I could get a truly accessible bathroom at the same price (like most Marriott properties we've stayed in) I probably would stay there. There are two nearby delis and a grocery store but they are at an incline and I probably would not push someone in a wheelchair to them. Another reviewer talked about an odd smell and I noticed it too but cannot describe what it might be. We did not try the restaurants so no comments there.

• Stayed May 2010
Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2010

Stayed for 2 weeks.
Pros:
Free internet. Hotel shuttle free. Good beds.clean not the most fun place but walking distance to Lake forrest mall! Overall a great stay!!!!

Cons:
Breakfast was really bad and expensive. No fridge in the room. Gaithersburg is not the best area. No room service or restaurant at night

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business

Been to Wyndham Garden Gaithersburg? Share your experiences!