“Met our needs...” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 15 Hotels in Gaithersburg
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Met our needs...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2014

This hotel offers a package that includes a $40 gift card to a local restaurant as well as metro passes for all in your party. This made our stay worthwhile. There is free shuttle service to the metro which is a 3 minute car ride. From the Shady Grove metro, it is about a 35 minute ride to the Smithsonian stop(with a transfer) at Metro Center. The included breakfast is standard hotel fare, but was good. The hotel is currently remodeling the exterior, so there is a lot of outside activity. Our room(301) was clean, but a little dated. The sink leaks on the underside, and we told the hotel staff...hopefully, it'll be fixed when you stay!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Lindenhurst, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2014

We wanted to visit DC and decided to look for a hotel along the metro line. Much less expensive than staying closer to the city. This hotel had it all: free metro shuttle ( on demand- just call when you want to be picked up) free parking, and free breakfast. The rooms were clean and spacious, and the pool was delightfully refreshing after a long day of walking in the city. I would definitely stay here again a and recommend it to others.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Irving, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2014

Spent only one night at this Comfort Inn, but found the property in excellent condition. The clerk was friendly and welcoming and check in was trouble free. The room was comfortable and very clean. The bed comfortable. Everything in the room worked except one lamp. I will definitely stay in this hotel again.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
Duchesne, Utah
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2014

My husband had surgery and this hotel was recommended by our Dr. We were not disappointed. The beds and pillows were very comfortable. After my husband's surgery he needed more to prop himself up when he slept they brought them up no problem.
We checked in on a Tuesday and there was a customer reception in the lobby with meat, cheese, fruit, bread, beer, wine and water.
They offer a free shuttle to and from the metro which was only a 5 minute ride away.
Next to the hotel is a very good Mexican Restaurant that I highly recommend.

• Stayed May 2014
Tacoma, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2014

We just finished a 10 day stay at this hotel and couldn't be more pleased. The hotel is nicely appointed and very well kept up. The staff, from the manager on down, met our every need and was extremely customer service minded the entire stay. The breakfast was excellent and the shuttle to the nearest metro station was prompt. They do not have a restaurant but the breakfast area is clean and spacious with a full, and tasty meal selection. We didn't require room service so we have no comment on that point. If we are ever in the area again this is where we will stay.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Richmond Hill, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2014

Backstory: Our seasonal trip from Toronto to the south (normally SE North Carolina) typically ended up in Frederick MD on day one - a little over halfway. On this trip, we were going to Chesapeake VA and my wife wanted to hit the Tysons Galleria at Tysons Corner in the AM. Though the total trip was about 3hrs less driving, we still wanted to make our "annual 2nd day trip lunch at the AYCE KFC" in Fredericksburg VA. In order to get there by 1230-1pm, there was no way we could stay in Frederick and so we drove an additional 1/2 hour to stay at this establishment.

From the moment I walked in, there was an overwhelming WOW factor. The lobby (I didn't take any photos but there are lots to be found) is spectacular - with the well appointed wooden chairs and the waterfall piece behind the front desk. The overall decor was throughout the property - I have attached pictures of what we found in our room. Nice artwork hanging up in the rooms and nice little value-adds like an actual place to hang your coat and a wooden door stop - none of which I have seen in any other Comfort Inn - nor any other hotel for that matter.

Parking: I believe there is another lot adjacent to the main one but don't quote me. I ended up going to the back (west side I believe) and found a spot. It was around 1045pm ish and there was not much left. Unlike most CI's with 2-4 floors, this one had I believe 7 floors - and if all used the main parking would be insufficient so you should double check that. Free otherwise.

Wifi: Very good overall quality - no complaints.

Fridge/Microwave - As GiselleF noted in her review (good eye ump) the mini fridge was larger than the standard fare. On our first trip to the south in 2009 we stayed at a Marriott Courtyard in Frederick. Nothing wrong with the place but ... no fridge/no free coffee/no breakfast (if wanted) and you paid more money. We always have a supply of drinks etc going to and from the south and want a way to keep it cooler - so a place with a half decent fridge is important.

Bathroom: Extra items beyond cups were provided. THe shower though was typical - no idea who decided to place the showerhead so low - all the CIs are like that. I have to bend the end UP a bit so I can wash my hair without having to bend down. Yes I am tall, but this isn't Japan.

Beds: Only double beds - I would have preferred Queen per the rest of the CIs we have booked. My wife commented that one of the beds (ours) was not as firm and sinking a bit on her side. Otherwise comfortable and squeak free.

How Clean/Comfortable: Everything appeared clean and quiet until we left in the AM.

Safe: Cannot remember how it played out but - there is an IN ROOM safe and there was to be a nickle and dime charge of $1.00 (I believe) to use it. I stated we would not and was not charged the $1.00. Not really sure a place with a higher than average rate would attempt to do something like this.

Breakfast: I ended up going down and having a small bite before leaving (I was preparing for the AYCE KFC so I had to be careful!). What would be a "plastic" juice dispenser in any other CI turned out to be a lovely metal dispenser here.

Location: I don't think I am THAT qualified to answer this. At some point in our future we will travel and stay in the DC area. Probably will aim for a more LT stay style hotel that offers a full kitchen but regardless - many have stated in reviews how much good value there is for such a hotel close to DC. For our purpose again, it was only 1/2 hour to Tysons Corner. I had done the full gambit review of CI's in and around Tysons Corner and then circled out and found this place.

Value: This is where the review digresses a bit and falls back to the title. Generally speaking you are paying more money (~$20-30 more than the average CI) to be (IMO) closer to the DC area. Period. And for that you only get double beds - which is a negative. The rest of the stuff is fluff that "gives you the impression" of something better. IMO they used the decor et al as a way to justify the higher price of the hotel. Not saying that is a huge negative - but my wife felt the additional cost of the hotel didn't match the value. I somewhat concur with her - but appreciate the location as a reason for the higher price. However, in the end ... it was "just" a Comfort Inn.

I am erring on the side of a "nice experience", regardless hence the 4 star review.

Final sniff test: The next time we go to the south and my wife wants to visit Tysons Corner would I by default just stay at the Shady Grove? Maybe, but I definitely would clock some time once again reviewing "average" Comfort Inn's in and around that area ... for Queen beds and a lower rate.

Room Tip: FWIW - This location has I believe 7 floors. Most Comfort Inns range from 2-4 floors.