“THEY DESERVE ALL THE REWARDS THEY HAVE!!” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #2 of 15 Hotels in Gaithersburg
Saint Louis, Missouri
“THEY DESERVE ALL THE REWARDS THEY HAVE!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2012 via mobile

I will tell you right of the bat this hotel is clean and beautiful! My wife and I stayed there the following week and loved it! We checked in on Sunday and checked out saturday. We were going to check out on Saturday but thought we would do one night in DC. We made a one night reservation at the ascend in Arlington and we checked in on Friday afternoon and checked out about 15 min later. HORRIBLE HOTEL THE ASCEND IS. I called Richard who is the front desk manager and he saved our same room for Friday night, very kind man. The hotel staff was amazing and the hotel was amazing! The rooms were a little small but the bath room was a little larger then most. One thing I really enjoyed were the free bottles of water waiting for you on the desk. The TV channel selection was many and they had the food network....that won me over. TV was very large. A/C worked great, carpets clean. I could not find one major thing wrong with this hotel. They do have a pool with a duty lifeguard.I did not spend time in the pool but it was very nice outdoor area/peaceful. I recommend this hotel for anyone staying in the area on silver spring, Germantown, gaitherburg and Rockville area. They have a list of restaurants in the area that do offer discounts to guests staying at the hotel. I tried captain Mori's while there and amazing crab cakes and seafood. If I missed anything, I'm sorry. Nothing short of excellent.

• Stayed August 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
west virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2012

I was very impressed with this hotel. The personnel was friendly and extremely helpful.
The hotel has a shuttle to and from the hotel to the Metro that we had just missed.
I was informed that it was sent out on a mission for store purchases.
When it didn't return after some minutes, a cab was summoned and paid for.

I had seen an ad for Washington tours in the room guide.
Our original plan was to ride Metro to see the city sights for my birthday.
Even though the Metro was close-by, the tour company (Capital City Tours) was a better value.
They advertised that they would do hotel pick-up and drop-off.
They were true to their word on both the night and day tours.
I was informed by the hotel if there was any problem with the tour company, inform the hotel.
There was no need.
If you do go on the tour, ask for Madoo. A very informative and wonderful guide and person.
Made my birthday a very pleasant experience.

Room Tip: The hotel is pet-friendly also.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Port Jefferson Station, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2012

This is not your everyday Comfort Inn. Marble on the lobby walls and floors, life guard on duty whenever the pool is open, art work displayed on corridor walls with lights to illuminate the artwork, housekeeping staff that maintains spotless rooms, very customer friendly front desk staff, hot breakfast that is consistent with other Comfort Inns (eggs, saugsage, breads, bagels, pastry, fruit, cereal, waffles) but is always refilled and full of fresh food items, and a Tuesday evening Manager's Reception with wine, beer, cheese platter, vegetable platter, and two hot chafing dishes (meatballs and smoked sausage were served when I visited) are but a few of the many wonderful things that this Comfort Inn has to offer. They provide a shuttle to the Shady Grove Metro station but we drove there since it is only a 7 minute drive to the Metro from the hotel and we didn't want to wait for the shuttle to drop us off or pick us up at the Metro. The fare to DC from Shady Grove Metro is $5.75 per person during peak (commuter) hours). Buy the SmarTrip card ($5.00)and refill it at the vending machines as you need to do so. If you calculate your transportation costs on the Metro ahead of time, you can add to your card in an amount that will leave you with less than $1.00 when you are done with your DC visits. It took us 42 minutes on the Metro to get from Shady Grove to the National Archives metro stop. Parking at the Shady Grove Metro is $5 for the day and they have ample parking available.
The only thing that I didn't like about the hotel is their billing process where they automatically added a $1.06 in-room safe fee to each day of my 4-day stay. I didn't want to use an in-room safe, didn't ask to have one available for me to use, and didn't use the one in my room but was charged the fee anyhow. Too bad I didn't notice this "extra" until I was home. In my opinion, this is a tacky way to generate revenue from an otherwise class-act facility. One additional comment: the rooms have double, not queen sized beds. On a scale of 1-10, I would rate the beds as a 6.5...not terrible but they could be better. Overall, I will stay here again the next time that I am in the DC area.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
CISG, Owner at Comfort Inn Shady Grove, responded to this review, August 22, 2012
Dear John,

We are very happy to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and were able to join us for breakfast and on Tuesday night for our Guest Reception. In regards to the safe charges, I wanted to inform you that I did issue you a credit for those charges to your card. It is customary for the hotel to remove the charges once we are made aware that the service was not used. We look forward to having the opportunity to serve you once again in the future. Please do not hesitate to contact us should you have any further questions. We would like to once again thank you for your kind words and appreciate you taking the time to write a review.

At your service,

Vira Safai, CHA
Managing Partner
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2012

We are 2 families visiting DC to tour the mall and the museums. The location was good because the hotel is very close to the Metro. The hotel has a free shuttle to and from the Shady Grove Metro station. Metro cost was nominal. The breakfast was FANTASTIC! Clean dining area, well stocked with waffles, eggs and sausage, donuts, fruits, yogurt, coffee, etc... The pool was also nice and there was a lifeguard on duty! Hotel has a small laundry room with 2 washers and 2 driers. which were much appreciated. There are restaurants in close proximity, but having a rental car was helpful for this purpose. (We didn't want to drive into DC due to very limited parking at the mall.) Room was clean and the staff was friendly. The front desk staff was always helpful and welcoming. We would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: The hotel does not look out onto anything of interest on any side. Laundry room is on the 2nd floo...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Clarksburg, West Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012

Stayed one night on a business trip to DC. Staff was very friendly and helpful. Room was nice size and very clean. Shuttle service to the Metro station in the morning was great. The Metro station is in walking distance if you are in good shape. Will definitely stay here again when traveling to the DC area.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Charlotte, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2012

This hotel is not only spotlessly clean and conveniently located, the staff is just top notch. We've stayed in fancier, more expensive hotels and not been treated as well as we were by the lovely people working at this Comfort Inn. When the coin operated dryer took my money and refused to work, leaving me with a basket of wet clothes, I reported it to the front desk and Yolanda apologized and called the maintenance company. They weren't able to send anyone out so 5 minutes later, she was at the door of my room, with a handful of quarters, a map to the nearest laundromat, and a ticket for a free in room movie. Every single person who worked at this hotel, no matter in which department, greeted us with a smile and a friendly word every time we passed by.

This hotel is only a few blocks from the Metro station as well as in easy walking/driving proximity to places to eat and shop. You'll pay about half of what you would pay for a hotel in DC.

The free breakfast buffet in the mornings was actually worth eating! The workout room was tiny but adequate. We didn't use the pool but it looked very, very clean.

Maryland has recently passed legislation to discourage the use of plastic bags so take your own reusable grocery bags unless you want to be charged a nickel for a plastic bag. And that's anywhere - even at Target.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Bloomington, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2012

This was one of, if not the fanciest, Comfort Inns I've stayed in. The decor would have you believe you are staying in a much more expensive hotel (marble floors and dark woods in the lobby and elevators for example). The rooms are not quite as fancy as the lobby, but are spotless, comfortable, and well appointed (flat screen tv, mini-fridge, microwave, etc). Even the bathroom had a few nice extra touches including two bottles of water and a container with cotton balls and cotton swabs.

The free breakfast had a nice selection of hot and cold items, although I would have liked skim milk as an option (2% and whole milk were available). The breakfast room was also spacious and attractive.

There was a nice outdoor pool/patio area with a lifeguard on duty. There was also a good sized green space with some benches for sitting behind the hotel.

The hotel is a short distance from the Shady Grove metro stop which can get you anywhere you want to go in DC. There is also a free shuttle available. It should be noted that the Shady Grove stop is the last stop on the Red Line and the trip to the main tourist areas can be a fairly long one.

The staff we encountered were very friendly and helpful.

In summary, this is a very nice hotel at a good rate (DC area hotels are typically pricey). The main negative as a tourist hotel would be the potentially long metro ride to tourist attractions. However, the money saved from staying closer in will be worth it for many.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Been to Comfort Inn Shady Grove? Share your experiences!