“Comfortable Stay” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 15 Hotels in Gaithersburg
New York City, New York
“Comfortable Stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2011

I traveled to the area with my family to visit family and friends. I very much enjoyed our stay. The rooms were very clean and the staff was friendly and helpful. We spent our days in Washington, D.C. and came back to the hotel to relax and recuperate. Since my last visit, it seems that they have done more renovations. The bathrooms looked very beautiful and new. It's really nice knowing we get to stay at such a beautiful hotel without paying the big bucks!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Binghamton, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2011

Why pay four times as much to stay in DC when you can stay here and hop on the Metro to get to the center of DC? Very helpful staff, spic and span rooms, close to several restaurants and a two minute free shuttle drive to the Metro.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
NYC, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2011

The reviews here have me really confused. I depend on TA, it's my bible for travel planning and my family knows I'm always referring to it. However, this hotel could not possibly rank as #1 in my books, even accounting for fact that it is a budget hotel-- we booked two rooms and had to run to an event, so after a quick check in, when the first room smelled not only musty but had a faint odor of urine, we changed to another. The desk clerk was very nice about it and seemed surprised at the request. But when we came back at night, the stains on carpet, and a large bug in my make-up case had all of us in agreement (two teenage kids also) that we should just make the 4 hour drive back home. I can't remember a time I have not stayed in a room, let alone two that I have paid for. The price was relatively cheap for DC environs but we learned a hard lesson with 180 bucks down the tube. We stayed the night before at the DC Hilton near Dupont, which was lovely and spotless, and wished we had just stayed there a second night. The best thing I can say is that the front desk seemed like they were cordial, but these rooms are sorely in need of cleaning and renovation.

Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
CISG, Managing Partner at Comfort Inn Shady Grove, responded to this review, May 25, 2011
Dear Ms. Mandoline:

I am very saddened to hear about your experience with us during your short visit. I sincerely apologize for any inconvenience you may have encountered. I am surprised to hear about your experience; latter part of 2010 we under went extensive renovations through out the property and we have won numerous awards for the cleanliness of our property, thus I am very perplexed about your concerns. Please call me directly, where I can look into this further. Thank you again for sharing your comments about our hotel.

Vira Safai, CHA
Managing Partner
sharon ontario
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2011

We stayed at this hotel for six days to visit the city of Washington. The staff at the hotel treat you as family and are some of the friendliest I have encountered on my many trips. In fact, I can't think of any as friendly. The hotel is comfortable, clean and well run and the included breakfast was excellent and plentiful.
The hotel supplies a free shuttle to the Metro station (5 mins away) and picks up with a phone call on your return. In fact one night we were about 1/2 hour later than the shuttle runs but they still picked us up. The station is the first on the blue line so you always get a seat and it only takes about 30 mins to downtown.
I would certainly recommend this hotel to anyone vivsiting Washington on a budget--------the price is right ------the service is excellent!!!!

Room Tip: Don't miss it!
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends
South Bend, IN
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2011

This is the perfect place to stay if visiting Washington DC. It is clean, friendly & helpful staff, great breakfast with eggs, sausage gravy and biscuits, waffles, and all the regular things Chioce Hotels offer. There is a nice size refrigerator & microwave where we could store & cook our travel food. They offer a free shuttle to the Metro and then we took the trolley in DC and you can hop on & off when you want to see somthing. It was a wonderful stay and we will be back when we return to finish what we started to see in DC as our 3 day stay wasn't long enough.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Wyckoff, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2011

We planned a last minute family trip to DC and couldnt find a hotel that was reasonably priced. So, we searched outside DC and I saw all the favorable reviews for this hotel. It is an incredible value for what you get....rooms were clean, service was exceptional, breakfast was included (even a 'make your own' belgium waffle machine), the Metro to DC was extremely convenient (and the hotel even provides free shuttle service there and back if you wish), and the surrounding area is quite nice. The hotel staff guided us to a local village/boardwalk type area for dinner one night....a nice lake and great restaurants. My boys (ages 6 and 9) had a great time riding the Metro into DC every day....it made the trip a bit more fun for us. I would definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
Seattle
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2011

It's hard to get an inexpensive hotel in DC during parents week at GW, so we ended up all the way out in Gaithersburg (but near the Metro) at the Comfort Inn. The reviews were right — this is a great place. It was almost like a studio apartment with a half-size fridge, a microwave, and a little coffee pot. I liked the spacious counter in the bathroom where you could spread out toiletries and cosmetics. There is no drugstore or grocery nearby, but fortunately the hotel has very reasonably priced vending machines with name-brand sodas and snacks. The do-it-yourself continental breakfast is adequate, and I liked it that they had hardboiled eggs for protein in addition to all the breads, cereals, and pastries. The shuttle to and from the Shady Grove metro is always available, and the staff were responsive to all our requests and extremely gracious. My only quibble? Really annoying toilet paper holders -- the rolls kept flying off and rolling across the bathroom!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business

Been to Comfort Inn Shady Grove? Share your experiences!