“Yummy!” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Great Seneca Highway
Description: O'Donnell's Sea Grill is one of the Washington, DC area's premier seafood restaurant. Owned and operated by the O'Donnell family for over 80 years, O'Donnell's Sea Grill carries on the tradition of offering renowned Norfolk-style dishes, signature crab cakes, and fresh Maine lobster, as well as steaks, chicken, pasta and fresh-made soups and salads. Our on-premise bakery prepares mouth-watering lemon meringue pie, key lime pie, cheesecake, and O'Donnell's Sea Grill famous Rum Buns every day. Open 7 days a week for lunch and dinner, come see why O'Donnell's Sea Grill, enjoyed by generations of Washington area residents and out-of-towners, is the landmark seafood restaurant in Montgomery County.
USA
“Yummy!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

I have eaten at O'Donnell's for years. When O'Donnell's moved from Bethesda to Gaithersburg, I continued to enjoy the seafood and rum buns . I recently craved softshell crabs and they had them. I enjoyed the soft shell crab BLT al fresco. Yummy!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

65% Recommend
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Go before they close last day 7/27/13!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013

O'Donnell's Sea Grill has been a family favorite of ours for many years. I grew up going there with my parents (Bethesda when it was open), and continued the tradition in the Gaithersburg location with my own kids. If you have never been, GO. NOW. The owner is retiring and rather than sell, he is closing the doors for good on July 27th, 2013. This restaurant is a seafood gem. There are no bad choices here, from the seafood they saute, to the raw bar selection to the fresh steamers or house specialties. And I dare you, no I double dog dare you not to eat at least two basket of the rum buns, and ask for extra to take home. BEST BUNS EVER. There is a train that quietly circled the hostess stand upon a shelf. In the dinning room there is a treasure chest where little diners get to choose a top after dinner on their way out. They have both indoor and outdoor seating.

Still not sure? Jost go. Make a reservation, and go. But do it now because if you love it, and I can guarantee this is a better meal than something cookie cutter like Bonefish, then you will want to go again. And you only have until July 27th. This gem, will be sorely missed by our family.

p.s. my father lost his sight many years ago. It became hard to shop for him. He had just about every book you could imagine on tape. He lived in Louisiana at the time. The restaurant sold me fresh rum buns, which he adored and sorely missed.....I sent them via FedEx. He was over the moon.

• 5 of 5 stars Food
Phoenix, Arizona
“Enjoyable Dinner”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2013

We were looking for an authentic Maryland Crab Cake. We found it and a lot more. We sat on the patio and the view was nice and the food was great. It's just too bad they are closing in July 2013.

• 5 of 5 stars Food
Gaithersburg, Maryland
“...but it's closing soon !!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

I probably eat at O'Donnell's two to three times a year. The food and service in the main dining room are consistently good. I usually have the fish special and have rarely been disappointed. You could count on it being a pleasant event. That being said, my reason for the review is the bar; specifically the bartender - Steve. He is the consumate mixologist; friendly, engaging with upbeat conversation, remembers you (even if he really doesn't) and effortly does a professional meal set up at the bar while simultaneously bantering with several customers! Oh, and he can mix a proper libation the proper way! Bartenders like Steve are a rarity in my area. So stop by and enjoy Steve's mastery while you can!!

• Visited March 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
england
“Best tuna I've had and great service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

Quite a traditional restaurant in atmosphere. Probably the best service we've had allowing for a relaxed meal. I had the pan seared sesame tuna and it was the best I've had. One tip is if you aren't a great fan of wasabi, let them know! I'll go back.

Visited April 2013