“We enjoy this stay!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Courtyard by Marriott Gaithersburg Washingtonian Center

Save Saved
You added Courtyard by Marriott Gaithersburg Washingtonian Center to your Saves list
Courtyard by Marriott Gaithersburg Washingtonian Center
Ranked #6 of 15 hotels in Gaithersburg
Richmond, Virginia
“We enjoy this stay!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2011

We booked this hotel blind from Priceline “Name your own price” and got a good deal. We spend here 1 night and did not want to leave. The hotel is very modern, clean, safe, and quiet. What’s a great location! The Washingtonian Center is full of shops and restaurants which working up to the late night. The place is beautiful – a little lake, architecture, the life music. We went to Uncle Julian Mexican restaurant – the food was delicious, not overpriced and very healthy – a lot of vegetables. The streets were full of people at 11:00PM and we enjoy walking too. Love it!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple

156 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2011

We had been recommended the Courtyard Marriot and were not disappointed. Located on a man-made lake with shops and restaurants about it was a good place to stay for our short trip. The room was a good size and very clean and overlokked the lake. The staff were very friendly and helpful and the breakfast was very good indeed!

On the Saturday of our short stay we ventured into Washington, but this was the day Irene was building up to pass the area so it rained and steadily got heavier. We enjoyed the wet day and would recommend a visit to the Holocaust Museum (one of a vast number in Washington) but had to make our way back on the Metro to Shady Grove and cab back to the hotel. The winds and rain grew throughout the evening and we were glad to be tucked up in our hotel, even if it it did feel that the weather was holding us captive.

The next day we had some more free time before we flew and decided not to venture into Washington again. Instead we walked around the lake had lunch in a bakery/coffe shop and enjoyed the surroundings in the warm weather that belied the recent passing of Irene!

I would not hesitate to recommend the hotel to anyone staying in the area who wants a good quality value hotel.

Room Tip: A lake view is probably best!
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Bow
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2011

A very clean hotel in a fantastic location. Lots of restaurants within walking distance, and a short commute to downtown DC.Family friendly!

Majorca, Spain
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2011

We stayed in this hotel for a lacrosse tournament. We had two nights at the Courtyard. When you get there, they have three or four check in parking spots right next to the hotel, which was convenient. We checked in and put all of our stuff up in the room.

Actual parking for the hotel was elsewhere. You could either park on the street or in the parking garage right across from the hotel. You are given a "parking permit". Although I am not sure why. It didn't seem to matter if you had one or not. We parked in the large parking structure across the street and it was a short walk back to the hotel.

The hotel's location is amazing. What a cool place this Washingtonian Center was. Across from the hotel was a Starbucks. It was like a main street with all these little shops and restaurants. We didn't need our car for anything.

We went back up into the room so I could do the bed bug check. We had two queens. The room was very clean. ...even the bathroom floor was clean. I didn't see any evidence of bed bugs. We had a nice view of the man made lake if we went to the window and looked down. We didn't have a balcony or anything. The tv was a flat screen with a lot of channels ..including nick and I think disney. The bathroom was good size and was nice. I was very happy with the room. Another poster was talking about the "big brother" havac. I didn't find this at all. I turned down the air and it got quite cool in the room. The room had a coffee maker(which I didn't use) and a refrigerator already in it.

We went to the second floor since my daughter's team ordered pizza and wings. This is where the bar is. I know they have a breakfast..but don't know about other meals. We went outside where they have a nice balcony with tables and chairs to eat.

The beds didn't have one of those Marriott thick down comforters on it. The one it had was very thin and I was chilly throughout the night. The beds were ok. I woke up with a backache , so I think they might have been a little mushy for me. We closed the curtains and oh my...it kept it so dark in the bedroom. We didn't wake up until 9am the next morning and couldn't believe the sun was out and it was 9 ! The curtains kept it completely dark! So the next night we left a little bit open so we could tell it was morning.

The next day, my daughter only had one game. So there was a lot of downtime. The lacrosse players were busy with a scavenger hunt. We went to check the pool out. I had read that the pool doesn't open until 5pm Monday through Friday(we were there Thursday, Friday with a check out day of Saturday). We went down to the pool area and saw the hours and that is exactly what it said. ..But, someone was in there. So we went and asked and were told summer hours were different. So my kids got to go swimming. So if you go to this hotel in the summer, you can swim during the day.

The pool was very small though. They had a lifeguard which seemed funny to me. He wasn't even really paying attention. He was reading his books.

We missed breakfast in the hotel on Friday. We came down around 10:30 and they were closed. I had seen the food was 13 dollars per person(I think ?) . That was expensive. So we walked down the street to the Corner Bakery Cafe.

We were able to see a lot more of the shops. They have a two story Dicks and Target. We didn't go in the Target but the kids thought it was cool. It has an escalator in it and you put your carts in the middle part of the escalator and it takes it up for you. It was a really nice area with fountains and lakes.

I don't think the corner bakery is used to having a lot of people. It was SLOW . We had french toast, scrambled eggs and apple chicken sausage. It is set up like a Panera Bread. My husband finally had to go check on our food because it was really taking a long time. When we got it our eggs were stone cold. The french toast was outstanding in my opinion. The apple chicken sausage was pretty good too.

We went back to the room to get ready to go to the Maryland Soccerplex for the lax game. Our tv channels were all out. Anyhow we left and got back around 3pm. Our tv was still out. So I called down to the desk and she said they were aware and working on it. She was very pleasant and within the hour the tv was working again. We also ran into a problem coming back and parking. Apparently t he garage was closed. Someone had driven into a support and the garage was now unsafe. So we had to park up near the target. It was a little inconvenient but not the end of the world.

We stopped off at Potbelly sandwich on our walk back to the hotel . My husband and I split a sandwich. The sandwich was pretty good. The place was kind of dirty in my opinion. Trash was all over by the soda machine. They didn't have anyone walking around cleaning it up. We then walked down to the Cupcakery. The cupcakes were 2.50 per cupcake which was expensive...but they were pretty darn good. We bought six different kinds and took them back up to the room. The cookies and cream and snickerdoodle were really yummy. The vanilla vanilla was way to sweet for me.

We had a team dinner at the Macaroni Grill. The manager worked with the manager of our team and we go a private room. .We had a limited menu due to the size of our party. I had chicken parm. We had a very long wait and they were unable to bring the food out all at once. Everyone got their dinner at different times. I know they were busy and we were a gigantic party(40 people) but I have been in this situation before where the food didn't come out like that. But like I said, we had a big party. Anyhow the food was not very good at all. Most of us were highly disappointed. Macaroni Grills have closed in my area and I can see why.

We checked out on Saturday and that process was smooth . It was a nice stay at the Courtyard and I would definitely stay there again if I was in the area.

Austin, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2011

Perfect location and accomodation for our stay in early July. The front desk (Nichole?) was very gracious in adjusting our arrangements. The beds were surprisingly comfortable. There were plenty of dining choices right out the door at Washingtonian Center, and the nearby Target was perfect for last-minute needs. We will stay there again while in southern Maryland.

Lanham, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2011

We enjoyed our stay at this hotel. It is like a home away from home. The staff is so accommodating and make you feel welcomed. The rooms are immaculate and the view overlooking the lake is breathtaking. We look forward to returning for a close to home getaway. The buffet breakfast is scrumptious, be sure to try an omelet, so fresh and full of meat and veggies, as requested. The surrounding restaurants, movie theater and stores are a plus.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
farmington Hills MI
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2011

Stayed here for three nights at a very reasonable rate.
Friendly check-in, and friendly staff overall.
I requested view of the lake and my request was met.
Clean and comfortable room, which met my needs perfectly.
In a convenient area with many restaurants and stores.
There is a business center on the 2nd floor where one can use free internet.
I would stay here again if I was visiting this area.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled solo

Been to Courtyard by Marriott Gaithersburg Washingtonian Center? Share your experiences!