“A restaurant out of the 60s great salad bar” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations
Washington DC
“A restaurant out of the 60s great salad bar”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

A neighborhood tradition with capability to host small weddings, this place is known for its prime rib and salad bar. One can easily make a meal out of the salad bar alone. The prime rib is juicy and moderately priced. Great place for a nice quiet dinner at a nice price.

• Visited September 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Gaithersburg, Maryland
“Good Salad Bar”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

It was my neighbor's birthday and we took him out to celebrate. He loves steak and this was the closest to us on a pouring rain night.

When we got there, I told the host that I wasn't sure if we had reservations. And he said "Oh, don't worry. It's not necessary." When we walked in, only one table was occupied. I could select where to sit!

Since my 88 year old Mom was with me, I selected a table near the salad bar. When the rest of our company joined us, we proceeded to the salad bar. For salad bars, I always like my lettuce and greens fresh and possibly crunchy and not any trace or hint of wiltness. So the greens passed my test. I also liked the different olives and the feta cheese, the vegetables and all other kinds of salad whichever you preferred. It almost reminded me of my cruise days!

They also brought warm bread and butter which is really one of my weakness. Bread! Bring it on anytime. The only problem is if I eat too much because it's good, I get full. So go easy on the bread please.

I had the steak teriyaki. My Mom had crab cakes. My friend also had the steak teriyaki. The celebrant had the prime rib. They had their wine and me? I have acid reflux. So warm water for me since wine now makes me cough. The teriyaki was too sweet for the steak but it was not their fault. We should have asked the server to put it on the side. So we had to wipe off the teriyaki sauce and the steak tasted much better. My Mom got too full with the bread that she hardly ate her crab cakes. She had it to go. I'm pretty sure my neighbor loved his prime rib because I didn't hear any complaints from him and he ate all of it!

Nobody else came after us. In fact, when we went back for fruits for dessert, they already took away half of the salad bar! We all commented on how sad it was that the place was empty. But maybe because it has been raining for the past few days here in Maryland. I just hope they get more business on weekends.

This is one place that has been here for a very long time and you want them to stay. It's not a bad place. But it's tucked inside a side street so you have to know where it is. Someone just driving through the main street could totally miss it!

Maybe they should have more colored lights leading to their restaurant where it will catch attention. Just like what they did at the Rockville Town Center. Or maybe neon lights around the Golden Bull sign. Or offer some dancing at night at a certain hour like they do in California. I moved here from the West Coast and restaurants here close so early....9 pm on a weekday, 10-11 if it's a weekend. In Europe, you're just starting to eat dinner at 10 pm. Just shocking sometimes to see how dead Maryland is after ten pm....

• Visited May 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
East Coast USA
“Agreeing with prior reviewer, dated is a nice word”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013 via mobile

run down would be more accurate. Salad bar is.just average. Steak was actually pretty good. Bathrooms sorry. Server who was very nice and chatty felt obliged to bore us with detailed news of the other hostess' weight issues, then we heard about her own weight issues, etc etc. Do not recommend under any circumstances. Can I use the word declasse' ??

• Visited March 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Gaithersburg, Md.
“Fresh Crabcakes, Affordable Prices, Great Service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

For my birthday my family treated me to dinner for my favorite crabcakes and salad bar. Scrumptious crab, delicious mashed potatoes, wonderful service. Please put the dried fruit back on your salad bar, it detracts from your everything under the sun and desirous to return to salad bar. your steak was great too, as my family remarked. MOST IMPORTANTLY! You take SPECIAL delight in serving our communities' beautiful Senior Citizens!! HATS OFF TO YOU!! You're affordable for them, you treat them very nicely as I watched your staff and I'm blessed with Senior Family still living and they also enjoy The Golden Bull!! Thankyou and GREAT GREAT JOB OVERALL!! (Don't forget to add dried fruit back on our salad bar it will draw many people back because salads are big in the Summer!!) :)

• Visited January 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
DC
“Excellent Value, Good Service and Good Tasting Food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

We were greeted as soon as we walked in the door and seated in less than a minute. Our waiter, Chris, brought water to our table as we were removing our coats. He immediately offered us the salad bar which has a large variety of salad fixings, fruits and snacks--something for everyone. I noticed the salad bar was tended to and kept neat and clean. The main courses are generous and cooked just right. We look forward to returning to this restaurant.

• Visited March 2013