“No prices on the main menu! What's with that?” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #12 of 272 restaurants in Gaithersburg
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Large groups, Outdoor seating
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Il Porto offers fresh and delicious Italian food at very reasonable prices along with impeccable service. You will not find a more friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We now offer OUTDOOR SEATING on our brand new patio. And, with our recent expansion to the property next door, we can now accommodate large groups!
Washington DC, USA
“No prices on the main menu! What's with that?”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

We were there on a Saturday night, a group of 4. The main menu, an inserted sheet with all of the featured appetizers, entres, salads, etc did not show a single price. And there were many things on the list, and we were interested in ordering from this list. So each one in our party had to keep catching the waiter as he was rushing by to ask him, "How much is this?" and "How much is this?" and "Where are the prices?" and "Why aren't the prices on the menu?"

The waiter just shrugged and acted annoyed at our asking, but who wants to order without knowing how much something is?

And by the way,most of the entrees on that list were high priced, like 25 bucks or more.

So we ordered off the part of the menu that had prices listed so we didn't feel embarrassed at asking the price of a lot of items.

The prices were reasonable off the menu we used, the food was tasty, and we had no left overs. The portion sizes were good...in othe words, they don't sell you a gigantic portion and then charge you more; instead, you get a portion like a person SHOULD eat and charge you accordingly.

I would visit this place again, but before I do, I am going to call the management and ask them to put the prices on the menu before our visit! :-)

The place was very crowded at prime dinner time, but it is big and we got a seat for four right away.

It's kind of noisy, not a quiet romantic Italian restaurant.

I had the fried artichokes and minestrone soup, both good. The clams with white sauce on spaghetti was good, too. So was the lasagna. Before the meal they gave us good bread with olive oil and cheese.

• Visited March 2013

86% Recommend
Gaithersburg, Maryland
“Undiscovered Surprise”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

We had a reservation for an "it" restaurant but cancelled and decided to go to a smaller restaurant closer to home one infinitely cold evening - my birthday. The TA reviews for Il Porto were uniformly good, so we decided to try them.

Il Porta is located in an unassuming strip mall off Muddy Branch Road in Gaithersburg. Having lived in the area since 1993, we were shocked that with all the restaurants we've visited we'd never stopped by. On arrival we were seated promptly in a booth with cloth tablecloths and napkins.

For my starter I had the lobster soup, which I'd been told was a bisque but was too thin and too tasteless to be a bisque. Luckily it was fairly inexpensive. For our entrees I chose the rockfish with crab meat on top and I requested a side of gnocchi with pesto. When my rockfish was delivered I received gnocchi with marinara sauce which I sent back. My waiter realized his error once he saw my perplexed expression. I had my replacement gnocchi in about 10 minutes. For his entree DH chose spaghetti and meatballs with a side of garlic bread. That's always a fail safe meal whenever we go to an Italian restaurant. DH said he liked it. For desert I chose the flan which was light and tasty. DH had none.

We're glad we finally stopped by Il Porto. I think it will go into regular rotation when we're in the mood for Italian food.

• Visited January 2013
Gaithersburg, Maryland
“Gaithersburg gem”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013

Wonderful Italian place with neighborly service. Went for lunch. I loved the Penne rigoletto. My Mom liked the spaghetti carbonara but said she'd probably order the penne next time! The house Chianti is good and reasonably priced. The bread was wonderful. I will absolutely be back.

Germantown, Maryland, United States
“Don't Let The Host spoil Your Evening”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

I went to this restaurant yesterday for the first time. We had reservations for 9 with a baby. We arrived with 4 and were seated at three tables pushed together. The couple with the baby couldn't come because of the baby. The others came and were seated. So there were 7 adults seated. We notified the host who berated us for being seated w/o everyone showing up and messing up his seating. He said he could have seated us at a smaller table. We offered to move but he said it was too late. The restaurant dining area is very cramped and noisy. I looked at other couples seated and each had one table. We had 3 couples and one extra adult seated at 3 tables. I couldn't understand how he could have seated us at a smaller table anyway. They already use the smallest tables I have ever seen in a restaurant. They are barely wider than the menu is long. You can't put the menu on the table after you have chosen your meal. It must remain in your hand or on your lap because there is no place to put.
We discussed the host’s rudeness and decided to let it go and enjoy our night out. We did enjoy ourselves. The food and drink were very good. Once the unpleasant matter was over with; we actual had a pleasant dining experience. The server was great. The bill was $43 per person with tip.
Would I go back, maybe? If you go on Saturday, go early. While we were there every table was full and twenty people were crowed in the entryway with the door opening often letting in a blast of cold air.

• Visited January 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“Very good shopping center restaurant”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013 via mobile

Very good value for good quality food. Good but usual Italian menu. Not gourmet or fancy but enjoyable for families

• 3 of 5 stars Food